Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Optimate?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Valerian95 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one like it from mandp a few years ago...does the job, cost 30quid

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

get none of them. Get yourself a ctek 0.8amp one, or the 5 amp one if you have a car as well.

I had an optimate, and they were no help when it broke.

both cteks i've bought have been great.

https://www.allbatteries.co.uk/ctek-mxs-5-0-t-lead-acid-charger-12v-5a-230v-intelligent-cep1h77.html?utm_source=GoogleProductSearch&utm_medium=comparator&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=CJCs_JiMjNQCFeQy0wodMp0HBw

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/battery-chargers-jump-starters/ctek-xs0-8-battery-charger?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Bulbs,+Blades+and+Batteries-_-Battery+Chargers+&+Jump+Starters-_-280292&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:280292&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=wttaxltt&istBid=tztx&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:344535484|agid:24344213644|tid:pla-277896474913|crid:83789257324|nw:g|rnd:9245249778262825953|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CILzs6aMjNQCFZEK0wod27QDpQ

It does the job, without having more lights than a puggy.

Last edited by johnsmith222 on 23:31 - 25 May 2017; edited 1 time in total
Valerian95 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had it since 2009, used it a lot on my rsv mille....put it away. Used it as a charger on various batteries since. Stuck Mrs k's ttr on it last month and it brought a dying battery back to starting regularly.

So, yes. Worth the less spend.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my blow up of my Motobatt battery last year, I decided to take no chances on any fully automatic permanent connection charger, and seeing as Wemoto were very good and covered 1/2 the cost of the battery plus postage, I ordered a Motobatt trickle charger that has a very low charging rate, but should hopefully be safer. I still remove the battery to charge it though, and it spends cold winter periods in my kitchen instead of in a cold shed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing a battery explode in front of me, I've been very careful that it's safe to connect it.
The battery was on a Bedford 4 tonner, and we all went....'wow! Never seen that before'... and carried on throwing ciggys at petrol to see who could light up a figure 8.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Went bang. Some numpty had put too much acid in it apparently and gas build up caused it to explode.
(Was a long time ago, batteries have improved since then.) I hope.))

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the Drama Llamas and just buy an Optimate 2 for under £40. It will charge and then maintain. Mine works fine and gets swapped between the 3 bikes. Appears to be better quality and build than the Oximiser.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Which Optimate? Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:
Anyone got one of these? What actually is the difference between 3,4,5,6,7?

I don't really know what the differences between models are (but don't let this stop you reading up on them Laughing ).
AFAIK the expensive ones can sometimes bring a dead battery (really dead rather than just flat) back to life, but not always.

I've got one (maybe a 3) and an Accumate (same thing different name).
They were both on a deal (bought separately) and cheaper than the Ctek at that moment, but I'd have had the Ctek if it had been the same price...
A smart charger is wise buy if you don't use a bike very regularly (like over winter for many).

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:12 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

CTEK all the way.

I have had numerous optimates fail on me, whereas my CTEK's seem good so far.

I have the MXS0.8 which can do small batteries (bikes, lawnmowers etc), but I also have a MXS5.0 which can do small and large batteries. Just select the profile you want (i.e. small or large battery), plug it in and it does the rest.

My car (2013 BMW) is sat for a bit so I looked for a charger / battery maintainer. It turned out that the 'BMW' battery maintainer was a CTEK MXS5.0 with their badge on, at double the price I paid for mine!

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:27 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 Optimate 4's. I keep the bikes plugged in when not in use and have had no problems. The FJR1300 is nearly nine years old and still on the original battery.

I've no idea what's better or worse (if anything) with the newer or older versions.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian95 wrote:

The 0.8 will do for any bike right?

Pretty much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:45 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charger
I have 2 of these and they appear to work great.
Much cheaper than the alternatives.

Andy

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the CTEK - solid bit of kit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I'd seen this thread before buying an oximiser Embarassed

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Ignore the Drama Llamas and just buy an Optimate 2 for under £40. It will charge and then maintain. Mine works fine and gets swapped between the 3 bikes. Appears to be better quality and build than the Oximiser.

What he said!
Optimate 2 works fine, mines been heavily used for a year no problems yet!
If you've got cash monies to waste, crack on and buy an expensive one!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Wish I'd seen this thread before buying an oximiser Embarassed

You bought an Oximiser?! I got mine free with some online order from some bike shop or other. Useful for checking battery voltage (assuming it's accurate - which I don't Thinking ), but have an Optimate for charging. Don't know which model; it's red.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

got an optimate 3, Honda branded version, the mk2 had vents which the mk3 doesn't, the mk2 overheated and failed

also have a yuasa 6 stage charger, turns out it's a repackaged CTEK
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1