Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Open Uni? Any experiences?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:22 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Open Uni? Any experiences? Reply with quote

Alright all,

Last year after my apprenticeship i did my HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I was hoping that work would let me carry on and do my degree, however it doesnt look like this is the case Sad

So ive been looking at Open Uni, seems pretty good in that id be able to do it in my own time and not rush through it, however im struggling to work out how much its going to cost and stuff... They should be ringing me back today so hopefully they'll answer a few questions

With my HND ive got 260 (i think) credits at levels 4/5, so ideally id like to carry as much as that over as i can and save me the cost and time of doing it again. Anyone done a similar thing? How much could you carry over?

Any experiences with it good or bad id like to hear them...

Ta!

Tom

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:36 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing an engineering / design degree with them just now.
I'm in Scotland so costs are about 1000 per year (£500 per module at 2 modules per year) but I know in England its much more.
That's for me doing part time so it would double if you were to be doing it full time.

As far as the course is concerned I've not had many issues. Material is clear and concise and you get hard copies of everything in the post as well as everything being available online. Tutors are available and very helpfull plus there's online forums / chats where you can get help.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back a few years (7?), Mrs Bamt went with them for a masters. She had a terrible experience, the tutor was useless, held unintelligible tutorials, could not explain the subject and told them stuff that was simply wrong and contradictory to the course materials. She agreed Mrs Bamt's project subject, reviewed progress regularly throughout, but when it went for marking Mrs Bamt was told it was an entirely unsuitable topic and methodology.

As I remember, OU basically ignored complaints (which were being raised throughout the year, not just at the end when results came out), which led to half the tutor group giving up and most of the rest failing.

OUs response was that their standards were met, and to pony up again full price for another go. It put me off using them (I'd been looking at them for a masters too) - there simply was no accountability for them and no way to get complaints taken seriously.

Of course this is quite subjective (were the people on the course simply not capable of understanding the subject matter?), but things like the project show this to be a gross failing in the teaching - not ideal when you are spending many, many thousands with them.

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:39 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m doing a psych degree with them. With regard to “doing it in my own time.” Once you start a module you’re committed to approx. 16 hours a week. I do less than that on a week when a TMA isn’t due – but sometimes do nearer 20hrs when it is.

I find the unofficial Facebook groups for the modules more useful than the OU official forums – as the forums are so heavily moderated, people don’t use them. However saying that, some modules do have a ‘mandatory participation’ thing. (Which you’re marked on.)

I don’t know if you’re looking at 60 credit or 30 credit modules – but be warned. A 30 credit module is not half the workload of a 60 credit. 2 x 30 credit modules can be an insane workload.

Only do OU if you really can be disciplined with yourself.

In my experience the tutors will only rephrase TMA questions or direct you to certain chapters. They grade your work and give feedback, but in no way assist you.

I find the tutorials/lectures a complete waste of time, as they only go through the material. If you can read – there ain’t much point in going! (Unless you feel so lonely as a student you want to meet another one.) (You will feel like this some of the time.)

Be warned – not every module uses Harvard referencing and you’ll be heavily marked down for using the wrong one.

Buy Post It notes and highlighters. Millions of them! Mr. Green

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished my 5th year for BEng Mechanical Design Engineering. I start my final year in October.

The course has already landed me a Mechanical Engineering job which I start in a few weeks time, just need to get it all finished now.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:34 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done OU but I know a few people who have and I've heard very mixed experiences. But to be fair that applies to bricks and mortar uni courses too.

I wouldn't touch it for anything advanced or research based.

If you have any IT knowledge you should read the Verity Stob experience
eg https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/13/verity_stob_open_university/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/18/verity_stob_pgpdip/

Verity does have a number of other articles on the reg covering her OU experience.

The +ve experiences I've heard have been people doing MBA courses with them.
(what you think of MBA's is another topic)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:24 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

This is what im struggling with, theres alot of mixed reviews out there. As mentioned im abit concerned its quite a 'technical' subject if that makes sense, so sometimes reading stuff doesnt quite cut it and you need to be able to ask someone.

Its also quite abit of money from what i can work out, so i need to suss out wether its going to be worth the cost. When i did my HND i was on day release, and hardly had to do any work at home, maybe a few hours every now and again but nothing like 16 hours a week... So now itd all be my own time.... Need to have a proper think really

Any more views fire away! Ta!!

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboff94 wrote:
Thanks for the replys.

This is what im struggling with, theres alot of mixed reviews out there. As mentioned im abit concerned its quite a 'technical' subject if that makes sense, so sometimes reading stuff doesnt quite cut it and you need to be able to ask someone.

The Mechanical Engineering courses are approved and accredited by the IMechE, but there are 2x 1 week residential courses to complete in Bath Uni also, for face to face time.

When your module starts, you are given a local tutor, the tutor has a phone number, and email and you can regularly ask them any questions you like about the course material or assignments. There are online group tutorials where you can ask tutors questions, as they cover the material.

While many have said they're a waste of time, they're actually useful as they give tips, and often divulge the marking scheme during them.

As well as this, there are also face to face, tutorials with your tutor, and tutor group at a local university to you too. So it's not entirely alone with nobody to ask.

Quote:

Its also quite abit of money from what i can work out, so i need to suss out wether its going to be worth the cost. When i did my HND i was on day release, and hardly had to do any work at home, maybe a few hours every now and again but nothing like 16 hours a week... So now itd all be my own time.... Need to have a proper think really

Any more views fire away! Ta!!

Student finance cover mine, but if you have a HND I'm unsure whether you will be eligible for a tuition fee loan

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:14 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Going back a few years (7?), Mrs Bamt went with them for a masters. She had a terrible experience, the tutor was useless, held unintelligible tutorials, could not explain the subject and told them stuff that was simply wrong and contradictory to the course materials. She agreed Mrs Bamt's project subject, reviewed progress regularly throughout, but when it went for marking Mrs Bamt was told it was an entirely unsuitable topic and methodology.

This sounds like the way it was with me. Ask a question to clarify something and get back a broad answer that misses answering the question. The answer they gave I already new from the books.
Course material was badly written and getting help online was just bad.
Wasn't the only person who thought this, most of the others I had connect with also thought that. Might have changed since then.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
I've just finished my 5th year for BEng Mechanical Design Engineering. I start my final year in October.

The course has already landed me a Mechanical Engineering job which I start in a few weeks time, just need to get it all finished now.

Who did? Wink

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hast du considered Germany? Wink

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interesting to see where this goes for you. I got to HNC but due to my position, I cannot get leeway to study beyond as it is detrimental to my input from work. I just cannot get the time allowance away due to the rotation of my workload. I get to do a few "courses" here and there but cannot get a solid time commitment for anything else.

I can make the time in my own time if flexibility is available just not sure it is even worth it.

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:28 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers people...

I rang them up yesterday and asked about transferring my credits from my HND, so id have to do as little work as possible really. The woman on the phone made it out as though i was asking about national secrets, youve got to fill out a form and send it off, then they evaluate it is all she could tell me for some reason. So i'll have to get that done.

I was told however if i was to start from scratch on a 360 credit course youd be looking at about 17K, which is considerable sum... I'm sort of in the same thinking as you Sload, is it really worth it?

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really not sure. I do enjoy the learning aspect and possibly interested in getting the HND. Missed out on the one year top up as I only need 6 units not 8. That or possibly a foundation degree. One of my issues is mental atrophy and it is irritating to re initiate again.

If it is fresh still for you then you should factor that into your choice also.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboff94 wrote:

I was told however if i was to start from scratch on a 360 credit course youd be looking at about 17K, which is considerable sum... I'm sort of in the same thinking as you Sload, is it really worth it?

What work do you do now?

What work do you want to do?

Is a degree necessary to do the work you want to do?

Answer those 3 and you will know if it is worth it or not.

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:46 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well currently im in the Maintenance Dept, so repairing the plant, few new projects every now and then. Like my job, no complaints as of yet. I'm thinking maybe more for the future, like say 10 years down the line if i fancy a change, rather than in the next few years.

I'll see job adverts every now and again, not that im really looking, and quite alot of them are after degree level applicants for the better paid stuff.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

roboff94 wrote:
Well currently im in the Maintenance Dept, so repairing the plant, few new projects every now and then. Like my job, no complaints as of yet. I'm thinking maybe more for the future, like say 10 years down the line if i fancy a change, rather than in the next few years.

I'll see job adverts every now and again, not that im really looking, and quite alot of them are after degree level applicants for the better paid stuff.

I'd wait till you know what you want before committing to it.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat, with a HNC. My boss has an OU degree, which the company stumped up for but all I know is that he got through it, not any specifics as to how smooth the ride was.

As far as I'm aware, a HNC roughly counts as one year of university, HND as second year, so you should really be able to upgrade to a degree with a further two years of part time study.
I've never looked into it much, but it's something I'd like to do in future.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1