Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPZ brake pads and rear shoes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:40 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: GPZ brake pads and rear shoes Reply with quote

Right i'm currently looking at buying new front disc pads and new rear shoes for the crappy drum brake, i'm looking at some EBC ones on mandp.com but there's so many to choose from! I was wondering whether anyone knows of any to get for it, as it's confusing the crap out of me! Sad

The possibilities:

Front Disc Pads:

Arrow FA230R Front Brake Pads
Arrow FA258R Front Brake Pads
Arrow FA256HH Front Brake Pads
Arrow FA283HH Front Brake Pads
Arrow FA119R Front Brake Pads
Arrow FA128R Front Brake Pads
Arrow FA349R Front Brake Pads
Arrow FA105R Front Brake Pads

Rear Brake Shoes:

Arrow H3 series shoes (example: H315G Brake Shoes at £19.99)
Arrow K7 Series brake (example: K710G Brake Shoes at £22.99)

Cheers,

Mike

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:59 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike?

What year?

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:08 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Oops!

1987 GPZ 500s is the bike, sorry about that!

Mike

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:27 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, their site lists hundreds of pads and shoes when you enter your bike details.

I've got an old M & P catalogue that uses their parts codes - front pads Kevlar are EBC4129 and HH's are EBC4129HH (surprisingly Wink )

Can't find a way of matching those numbers ot the EBC product codes unfortunately, looks like a trip to the local bike shop.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:35 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup so i'm a bit stuck! Thanks for your help anyway though mate, Hopefully the trusty oracle can shed some light on the case! I'm in no rush for the parts as it is because the bike's off road!

Mike Smile

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 17:48 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can have a look at work tomorrow for you if you like.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:00 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can mate, that's be bloody brilliant as there isn't any local bike shops around me Sad

Cheers mate! Very Happy

Mike

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 18:01 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok will do. I can look in the data book and get the part number you see. Anything special about the bike? Is it an import or anything like that? It probably doesn't make a difference, but better safe than sorry.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:03 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know what you mean but as far as I know nope, if it helps there's pictures in my profile. It's an 1987 GPZ 500 S (A1 model). Thats about it really I think Neutral

Mike Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:19 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Old paper M&P catalogue lists your bike as having EBC4129 pads (or put an HH at the end for the sintered ones). This is their old part number which was partly the suppliers code so the EBC code will be FA129. The back shoes are K706 I think.

All the best

Keith

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:23 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith you've gone and done it again, that was just what I wanted to hear and i'm pretty sure I remember seeing those model numbers on mandp.com! Sintered pads? Are these better Confused I don't have a clue what sintered means Laughing

Mike

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:53 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
M&P catalogue lists your bike as having EBC4129 pads (or put an HH at the end for the sintered ones). This is their old part number which was partly the suppliers code so the EBC code will be FA129. The back shoes are K706 I think.

All the best

Keith

Ah, so that's how they do it Shocked , well spotted Keith. I knew it had to be simple judging by the calibre of M & P staff I've come across Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:07 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get sintered pads!, they will wear out your disc a little more quickly but pattern front discs are pretty cheap, they make the brakes a lot more responsive and are not affected by the wet.

The drum brake on the GPZ500 is much better than the rear disc, the disc ones spit out pads as there is nothing to hold them in properly, they don't work very well and replacement discs are 140 quid!! Having owned both, the drum is definatley better.

If you have not already done so, I recommend that you order a braided steel brake line for the front disc brake when you order the pads (about 15-20 quid). The difference this makes to the feel and efficiency of the brakes makes it the best modification you could do to that bike, second comes progressive fork springs then getting phosphor bronze bushes and grease nipples fitted to the uni-trak casting.

m i k e
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:39 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I guess I'll be giving MandP a ring soon then for some sintered pads, the braided hoses I already have Razz Then I lost you after the words 'best modification you could do to that bike..' Laughing

Thanks again for all your help guys! Thumbs Up

Mike Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:50 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive fork springs: These replace the standard springs in the front forks. Progressive springs are wound so the coils get tighter along its length. This means that the front suspension gets 'progressivley' stiffer the more it is compressed and stops the bike nosediving under braking. Made a marked improvement to the handling too.

Unitrak bushes: If you put your GPZ on the mainstand, then standing behind it get hold of the back wheel in both hands and pull it upwards, you will find there is quite a lot of free play before you start compressing the suspension. This is the case with all GPZs and is due to wear in some plastic bushes in the unitrak casting (the bit that the rear shock bolts on to), an MOT tester COULD fail your bike for this. The only way to fix it is to replace the bushes with new ones (45 quid!) which will be worn again within 500 miles. Most people just live with it and it doesn't seem to affect the handling.

I have a friend who is handy with a lathe who made me new bushes out of phosphor bronze (self lubricating metal) and put grease nipples in the casting so I can lubricate the bushes without stripping the bike. This is how it should have been made in the first place.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:06 - 06 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkywheely wrote:
This is the case with all GPZs and is due to wear in some plastic bushes in the unitrak casting (the bit that the rear shock bolts on to), an MOT tester COULD fail your bike for this. The only way to fix it is to replace the bushes with new ones (45 quid!) which will be worn again within 500 miles.

It is worse than that. I bought new bushes for Charlottes GPZ500, and even brand new there was around half a mm of clearance between the steel bush and the plastic bush. I sent the first set back as faulty, but the next set I got (from somewhere else) were just as bad. So, brand new bushes and still getting on for 5mm of play in the rear suspension links.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1