Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The gloves are off (a heated debate)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: The gloves are off (a heated debate) Reply with quote

Heated gloves > muffs > heated grips > nothing no?

I'm cool as fuck so would never entertain fake muffage or ninja slipper 2 finger gloves.

But my pinkies are a bit cold lately, and I'm a glove whore.
Prefer battery pack than plug in, hearing good things about Gerbing XR12.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:25 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you me? I was looking at the Gerbing XR12s as well. The only thing stopping me is the price when you include the battery packs.

Heated grips, had them on the ninja, they do fuck all for the back of your hands. I tried some waterproof muffs too, but they weren't very insulated so I guess I can't comment on muffs. I'd imagine heated grips & decent muffs make a good combination.

After almost freezing to death on my most recent ride I should probably want to invest in heated everything, not just gloves.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:28 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerbing XR-12s are fantastic. The battery packs are bulky and uncomfortable—don't bother, just wire into the bike.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:40 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford heated grips here:

- reasonably priced
- won't drain your battery if you forget to switch them off
- easy to fit, wire straight to the battery
- reliable

I have a £30 set of winter gloves, only time my hands get cold is when the temperature is in the minus figures. 60 mile a day commute year round.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Are you me? I was looking at the Gerbing XR12s as well. The only thing stopping me is the price when you include the battery packs.

Heated grips, had them on the ninja, they do fuck all for the back of your hands. I tried some waterproof muffs too, but they weren't very insulated so I guess I can't comment on muffs. I'd imagine heated grips & decent muffs make a good combination.

After almost freezing to death on my most recent ride I should probably want to invest in heated everything, not just gloves.

Almost, but your fatal flaw is dabbling with the fake muff Tut Tut
And on a sportbike!

Gerbings are pricey yes, that's why I need your input Smile
I suppose you could half it and breakdown the cost per hand?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbond65 wrote:

- reasonably priced
- reliable

I have a £30 set of winter gloves, only time my hands get cold is when the temperature is in the minus figures. 60 mile a day commute year round.

Finger tips still OK, or are you typing with your toes?

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:46 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I suppose you could half it and breakdown the cost per hand?

You just gave me the best idea ever. Buy one second hand glove for the throttle hand, and tuck my left hand into the engine while riding.

https://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/288/648/776.gif

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
mbond65 wrote:

- reasonably priced
- reliable

My Oxford grips drained my battery more than once. And my finger tips still get cold (admittedly this was in December and using Summer vented gloves.).

Grips are now wired in to a switched circuit as they should have been from the beginning.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:51 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
mbond65 wrote:

- reasonably priced
- reliable

Admittedly in really cold weather my fingertips do suffer, but if that happens I just make sure I hold the grip all the way round - grip it hard ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pig Hog wrote:
Gerbing XR-12s are fantastic. The battery packs are bulky and uncomfortable—don't bother, just wire into the bike.

Uncomfortable how? Is your jacket gripping it tight or does it dig into the wrists?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:30 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: The gloves are off (a heated debate) Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I'm cool as fuck so would never entertain fake muffage or ninja slipper 2 finger gloves.

Sorry, muffs first.

Decent ones create a nice still air-pocket which makes a massive difference.

Sorry, you ride a Honda and one that became a sports-tourer it was that generic - you're well past needing to worry about 'cool' Wink

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: The gloves are off (a heated debate) Reply with quote

G wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Sorry, muffs first.

Decent ones create a nice still air-pocket which makes a massive difference.

Sorry, you ride a Honda and one that became a sports-tourer it was that generic - you're well past needing to worry about 'cool' Wink

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2b/6f/7e/2b6f7ecc67b7ea51c895a5d999df7885.jpg

Laughing Don't apologize for utilizing the fake muff, some people well, just have to experiment in that way.

I just can't bring myself to do it. Not even for the first time (is the worst time). Besides, a restrictive muff would prevent me from flicking the V's at Corsa drivers or shaking the beans at people who pull out on you. Twisted Evil

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:56 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Pig Hog wrote:

Uncomfortable how? Is your jacket gripping it tight or does it dig into the wrists?

Well perhaps my Dainese jackets have chunky sleeves with armour that goes along the forearm, making the fit of the gauntlet a little tighter; however, the fairly large battery packs sit on top of the wrists and restrict the range of movement that you then have, especially for your throttle hand.

If you want to wind on the throttle, you will have to re-adjust your grip first so that you can keep your wrist straight because you can't bend your wrists back while the battery packs are in the way.

Plus you have to remember to turn them off and to keep them charged.

If you wire a lead into the bike instead, sure, you'll need to wear the body wire under your jacket but it's quicker to put that on than it is to wedge the stupid battery packs inside their little pockets. Once that's done, you just plug into the bike and go.

The downsides are that they keep your entire hand warm, rather than just your palms; they're waterproof with a handy visor wiper; you can turn them off and still have a relatively thick winter glove for the warmer days; they have a range of heat settings from Toasty Warm to Smells Like Chicken. Oh, haha, sorry—those are all good things!

I've had mine go wrong once, where one glove stopped heating. I sent them back to Gerbing, who checked them over, found a fault in one of the leads and sent them back with a replacement body wire. Honestly the worst part was having freezing cold hands for a week.

I've noticed a lot of people don't have a lot of time for these gloves and insist on recommending a grip/muff combo and I genuinely can't get my head around why because these are possibly the best bit of kit that I've bought—they work better than grips and my bike doesn't look gay with muffs. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pig Hog wrote:

Gerbing Wub Clapping Dance!

Thanks! Do you get staff discount?

There's also the T-12 & G-12 to consider. Checking specs & prices.

Last edited by Hong Kong Phooey on 22:35 - 29 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:

Admittedly in really cold weather my fingertips do suffer, but if that happens I just make sure I hold the grip all the way round - grip it hard ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That confirms my suspicions. I'm never wrapped round the throttle - always over the brake. I've taped over the brake lever to minimise heat transfer but it's not enough.

shdaxner
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use heated grips and since using them have not had cold hands at all....too hot sometimes yes, they have a low voltage sensor and "noise" sensor which means they shut off when the bike is off or the voltage is to low so have never drained my battery.

Admittedly, I did try on a few pairs of the Gerbing gloves at the NEC this year just after arriving on the bike (1st stand we went to) and I was very impressed with just how good they were, many times better than heated grips but also a damn sight more expensive. After speaking to the staff on the stand, the general consensus was that the wired versions are better (and cheaper) as they are more ergonomical and from memory I do not believe the battery life on the battery operated ones is much to write home about?...

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: The gloves are off (a heated debate) Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Heated grips and Muffs. And I ride an RSV4, so EVERYTHING I do and say is cool. Bitch. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:28 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: The gloves are off (a heated debate) Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Laughing Don't apologize for utilizing the fake muff, some people well, just have to experiment in that way.

I just can't bring myself to do it. Not even for the first time (is the worst time). Besides, a restrictive muff would prevent me from flicking the V's at Corsa drivers or shaking the beans at people who pull out on you. Twisted Evil

Oh, don't worry; I well understand in this enlightened age it's perfectly fine to dislike muff purely because you think it's 'cool' to be different Wink.

When you get used to it, you can easily get your hands in and out.

Better ones it's a little harder, but not a problem 99% of the time (and that's getting your hand back in, not out.)
Quote:

bike doesn't look gay with muffs.

Yea, doesn't need them with the chicken strips doing the job Wink.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:36 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Pig Hog wrote:

Gerbing Wub Clapping Dance!

Thanks! Do you get staff discount?

There's also the T-12 & G-12 to consider. Checking specs & prices.

Maybe I should send my CV. Get a discount of the next pair...

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Gerbing XRS12 the shorter cuff version, which were connected to the bike and they were extremely effective, however 2 issues I had:

1. Sizing, seemed to be inbetween sizes in that XL was slightly too small and XXL was way too big, had the XL on for awhile in the hopes they might stretch out a bit, but they were still quite stiff in the end.

2. Whilst extremely effective at keeping hands warm, they were a bit of a faff, especially on short journeys.

In the end I sent them back and got oem heated grips fitted and they've been great even in -°C. Only issue is on the motorway in -°C, pinky's sometimes get a bit cold.

If you don't mind the faff and/or you do long motorway commutes/journeys then I'd recommend the gloves if not then grips.

My only muff experience involves lady bits and probably won't be relevant here.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:47 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some oxford heated grips but I use them with muffs on the burgman commuting and the two together work great.
I also have some keis heated gloves used properly for the first time on a different bike yesterday they kept my hands very warm on a 90 mile trip but I find them two big and can't feel the controls properly fine on the motorway but not good around town.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got heated inner gloves (KEIS)

If I were purchasing again I'd just go with a pair of heated gloves instead of inners as they're a bit of a faff but are good when they're on.

Didn't get heated grips as, at the time the gloves I had wicked the moisture out to stay dry, heated grips can make this work backwards if the outside of the glove is warmer than inside - besides, it's my fingers that are cold so wasn't convinced the grip's heat would do much through a thick winter glove.

The muffs I had on my previous bike catch on the fairings of this one which is why I took them off again.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

InB4 Bodyguard pipes up about being hard as nails in any weather doing 50,000 miles a month on his deathtrap.

Anyway, I've flirted with the idea of heated gloves on and off for years. The last couple of days the ambient temp on the dash has read minus 5 and even with Barkbusters and heated grips the tips of my fingers were getting to the point of agony.

I despise winter gloves for the reasons stated above, too bulky and make me feel awkward in slippery weather. I'd been looking at the Kies liners for a while but comments already made have made me think twice.

Never mind, summer will be back soon. We all enjoy those three days of sun.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:30 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the English summer, it's my favorite day of the year....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:25 - 30 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muff, always just muff, no need for additional heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2