Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Still struggling with this stall while cruising... XTRs POS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:42 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Still struggling with this stall while cruising... XTRs POS Reply with quote

Right, Sadly this problem with my Lexmoto XTRS hasnt gone away and im still none the wiser to whats causing it.

The details are... The bike runs fine in town, at town speeds and revs....

But when I go out on the A roads and try to cruise at 50-60 (on the clock) at around 7-8k RPM after a little while I start to feel the bike stutter... Like im hitting bumps in the road... It gets worse and then I loose all power.

Its a bit like running out of fuel. but I have a full tank.

Sometimes i can drop it to 4th gear and lower the revs (if no traffic behind me) and it might recover... but most of the time any attempt to lower throttle kills the engine completely. If I dont do anything it kills the engine completely...

The inside of the tank looks clean, I dont have a fuel filter on the pipe so cant check that.

The air filter on my carb is clean. The carb looks clean. The jet still squirts. Tappets were loosened last time to try and fix this... Didnt fix it and now they seem too loose. I need to tighten them up a little....

And the spark plug is a healthy brown grey... Not too black and not oily...

Because of my current situation i cant just strip the bike right down... But I do want some ideas to what it could be.

Also As Im broke I cant afford to take it into a shop and have it looked at and serviced right now...

But if I have an idea of what to fix I could take quickly take it apart focusing on one area and then put it back together in a day...

Of course I emailed Lexmoto they wouldnt even bother to suggest whats wrong... (i know whats wrong... its a lexmoto............... D: )

What is odd... Sometimes though very rare. The bike behaves and I get a good ride on the A roads. But its rare.

I do want a better bike, but right now its not possible... I was saving my my direct access before my upheaval a few months ago... I would be riding a bigger bike by now if it hadnt happened. But for the time being im stuck with this piece of shit crap bike so I need to try and fix it.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with fuelling? Have the carb jets been messed with at all or changed?

Might be worth taking the carb off and giving it a clean to make sure nothing's blocked (assuming it's not Fuel injected...)

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:58 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be worth checking your tank breather. As the symptoms occur after an extended period under high load it's possible that a partially blocked breather could be causing a vacuum in your fuel tank. Next time this happens if you stop and quickly open the filler cap a sudden inrush of air would prove this.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garybee wrote:
It would be worth checking your tank breather. As the symptoms occur after an extended period under high load it's possible that a partially blocked breather could be causing a vacuum in your fuel tank. Next time this happens if you stop and quickly open the filler cap a sudden inrush of air would prove this.

Ahhh this one ive not thought of... I can check that too thanks...

As for the carb, it looked clean and the jet still squirted... though at the moment taking the carb apart isnt easy... I dont have access to my workshop space at the moment...

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

garybee wrote:

As for the carb, it looked clean and the jet still squirted... though at the moment taking the carb apart isnt easy... I dont have access to my workshop space at the moment...

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing anything drastic try a new spark plug, note you need to be sure what you get is suitable because it can be a minefield and possibly damage engine using one laid about from something else.

When there's only one spark plug it goes through hell - and a spare is good to have even if that isn't what's wrong now.

Would agree the vacuuming is a strong contender.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:15 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
garybee wrote:

Just realised, it will be a gravity feed to the carb' so there will be no inrush of air. If it were mine I'd leave a 2nd key in the fuel cap and open it when the symptoms occured. This would of course send the internet health and safety police mental.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Agree with this too. Also, check if your machine has a vac pipe from the inlet to the fuel tap.

My bike was running poorly last year, erratic idle and poor acceleration (stuttering). It was the vac pipe (air leak) and perished fuel tap seals. Visually check.

By the way, most of are skint, no shame in that!

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:24 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a vac pipe that goes to nowhere... so i assume thats the vac pipe :p Ill check to see if tis kinked or blocked...

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:50 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a vac pipe that goes to nowhere... so i assume thats the vac pipe :p Ill check to see if tis kinked or blocked...

If it comes off the inlet manifold, that's the vac pipe. It should also have a slight kink in it to route up and under the tank where it connects to the fuel tap. I use a maglite to visually check for any splits, also check that both ends are on good and tight. (Air leak).

The only other vent pipe I can think of leads from the crankcase and into the air box. However I don't think this would cause the symptoms you describe.

Good luck.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:35 - 27 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running out of electricity feels just like running out of fuel, and normal diode reg/recs tend to fail in such a way that they start off by working fairly normally at tickover, but not working at high revs.

Multimeter on the battery with the engine running. You're looking for 12.5-13.5v at tickover, and more like 14v at 4000rpm. If the voltage at high rpm is lower than the voltage at tickover, your reg/rec is on the way out.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:27 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its the regulator, not that I dont think the reg is on its way out... Just when im up in the higher revs the needle is throwing out to 15+v......

Once I got a case design done for my speedo project I could ride with my speedo... and that would be more accurate.

Checking with multi meter isnt possible right now.

Annoyingly. Checking the vac pipe is awkward. Because the only way to get to it is to lift the tank off the bike.

Im biking home sunday next week. ill have a go at it then. In the mean time ill take another look to see if i can reach the pipe and make sure its ok... Ill redo my tappets again as well while I have the tank off...

Thanks to everyone for the help. I know tis all a long shot but its got to be worth the try. I never expected a race bike when i got this, But I wanted it to at least work safely Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1