Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cost of a website

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
 Topic moved: from Random Banter to The Geek Zone by G (30 May 2017 - 12:46)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Cost of a website Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much it would be to set up a website for a small business venture?

All I am basically looking for is a couple of pages, one where someone could fill in some details about themselves and a page to put in card details to pay for a service.

I've had a look at those free website template pages but cant actually see anything that would fit what I'm looking for.

So I might need to pay someone to set me up something, as well as registering a domain name as well.

Any ideas on costs?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic might help: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=319452

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police Geek Zone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:50 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Cost of a website Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
Does anyone know how much it would be to set up a website for a small business venture?

All I am basically looking for is a couple of pages, one where someone could fill in some details about themselves and a page to put in card details to pay for a service.

I've had a look at those free website template pages but cant actually see anything that would fit what I'm looking for.

So I might need to pay someone to set me up something, as well as registering a domain name as well.

Any ideas on costs?

Probably about £400 - £500

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:29 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Cost of a website Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
...All I am basically looking for is a couple of pages, one where someone could fill in some details about themselves and a page to put in card details to pay for a service....

And what sort of 'services' would those be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:34 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to give a more detailed brief if you want a more accurate price.

"Put in card details to pay for a service".

Now you could mean a one off, static product that costs say £20 and all you need is PayPal.

You could also mean a multiple select form configuration for a variable product in which you need to offer direct debits as a recurring monthly payment.

The latter is going to cost a shit tonne more.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussed in the other topic Wink Easily DIYable unless you want complex database stuff.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wix.com might be a fair shout?

You can make a website exactly how you want, by dragging and dropping boxes into place (so it's not just a generic template). I had a piss around on it a few weeks ago and ended up making a website for myself. Wasn't hard at all and if I wanted to do something professional like an online shop I'd definitely consider it.

The website has a massive 'Wix' stamp at the bottom but if you pay a monthly/yearly fee it becomes your own website with your own web address, no ads or whatever.

You can also make an online shop, user logins etc, depending on your requirements.

Info here: https://www.wix.com/upgrade/website

Apparently it's about £10/month to make an online shop, without any Wix banners or ads ruining the aesthetic.

There may be some small print that I've missed but overall it seems like a good shout.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:26 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wix.com is the modern day geocities. Sick

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 28 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful as they sometimes have stupid limitations. Years ago I had a site with freewebs where despite having a domain you couldn't reach the website without a www. in the address Rolling Eyes Also I found out they had pinched some of their templates.

I reached the conclusion they were all naff and not customisable enough. You'd be better off using Joomla if you're not comfortable with dreamweaver (but even I can hack together a website with zero coding knowledge).

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:22 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about ecommerce, but you could set up a site with One.com, register your domain and have them host it for about £15 a year (which will go up with more traffic, but then it should be paying for itself anyway.)
You can drop Wordpress straight on to their webhost section and then use an ecommerce plug-in for WP.

I've never done it. I don't know how effective it is. But it can be done.

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Wix.com might be a fair shout?

You can make a website exactly how you want, by dragging and dropping boxes into place (so it's not just a generic template). I had a piss around on it a few weeks ago and ended up making a website for myself. Wasn't hard at all and if I wanted to do something professional like an online shop I'd definitely consider it.

The website has a massive 'Wix' stamp at the bottom but if you pay a monthly/yearly fee it becomes your own website with your own web address, no ads or whatever.

You can also make an online shop, user logins etc, depending on your requirements.

Info here: https://www.wix.com/upgrade/website

Apparently it's about £10/month to make an online shop, without any Wix banners or ads ruining the aesthetic.

There may be some small print that I've missed but overall it seems like a good shout.

I run a Wix-based site for a charity. It's easy to set up and manage, I have full control over making instant changes and you can add in pretty much anything you want to integrate with it. For example we have a Twitter widget and an online appointment booking service on ours.

It might not look as polished as a professionally designed website, but it's cheap and can still get you high up in Google rankings if you work hard enough at it.

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:08 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This outfit local to me seem to have decent prices/ designs (lots of design examples on their webpage)
https://www.outhousedesign.co.uk/web_design_wirral.html

I have created a WIX site for a local business - being a geriatric idiot I ran into lots of problems. I still cannot get any decent Google rankings and the site is slow to load. However, their on-line help desk people do at least TRY to help

Snod

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:12 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/10 for their company names. Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
wix.com is the modern day geocities. Sick

Geocities was win Razz

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodvan wrote:
This outfit local to me seem to have decent prices/ designs (lots of design examples on their webpage)

I have created a WIX site for a local business - being a geriatric idiot I ran into lots of problems. I still cannot get any decent Google rankings and the site is slow to load. However, their on-line help desk people do at least TRY to help

Snod

It doesn't look like any of their websites have a CMS, all just static HTML pages. Also, their own website hasn't been updated in 6 years....

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:25 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised how the decent looking site for the new local sandwich delivery place was made by wix - worked well and didn't look very 'Template'.
Much better than such places in days of old.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I was surprised how the decent looking site for the new local sandwich delivery place was made by wix - worked well and didn't look very 'Template'.
Much better than such places in days of old.

Can we provide linkys please Smile It's a bit hard to judge by vague internet descriptions.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:55 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sallybrowns.com/

This seems to be a specific 'Wix Restaurants' system.

A quick extra look suggests they ripped off this site somehow: https://www.goodtoeat.com.au/about

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Didn't help me.

I just went incommunicado until they stopped trying to ask me about it.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 02:52 - 01 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodvan wrote:

Snod

Wow yes, let's recommend him a "web design" company that still has "Copyright 2011" in the footer and isn't responsive / mobile ready.

Nice recommendation Shocked

https://www.steakawaywigan.co.uk/ - Another Wix site with their restaurants ordering system.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1