Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What happens when all those pipes and the airbox have gone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

martynmoore
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:49 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: What happens when all those pipes and the airbox have gone? Reply with quote

I'M building a custom bike out of a rotten old Kawasaki ER-5 and started pulling it apart yesterday. I will junk the airbox for separate conical airfilters and the silencer will be replaced by a short reverse cone megaphone.

There are breather pipes coming off the cam covers and one at the back of the crankcase. Last time I built a bike, 35 years ago, there was just one crankcase breather and it was perfectly acceptable to poke it into an empty Newcastle Brown can strapped to the frame (beer cans used to be made of sterner stuff back then).

What's the current wisdom on this sort of butchery and what will I need to do to the carbs to compensate?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Re: What happens when all those pipes and the airbox have go Reply with quote

martynmoore wrote:

What's the current wisdom on this sort of butchery and what will I need to do to the carbs to compensate?

It'll run badly. Personally I don't know much about carbs so wouldn't like to comment. You could be able to get it to run acceptably with a dyno jet kit or similar. I wouldn't expect it to run well with pod filters and a stubby megaphone.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No filters at all would work better than fitting a set of wanky cones.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:41 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pipes coming out of the head will be coolant pipes, the other is a crankcase breather, so put a filter on that too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:50 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reverse cone mega-phone was sort of an expansion chamber for a four stroke. In the 1960's, on a relatively modest reving single with a lot of exhaust timing overlap, thy cold 'sort' of work not too bad, and actually work.. at least well enough, on an all or nothing race-engine...

On something that has a rev-range twice as wide, that is expected to carburate cleanly at part throttle as well as full or idle, they are just a pain in the arse! Actually, they are a pain in the proverbial on a motor that only has to run well wide open, and even idle isn't important as long as it don't stall!

Most reverse or inverse cone mega's, or certainly the ones likely to work half well, actually aren't; they are a tapered muffler with reverse or inverse end cap, blanking the baffle chambers....

Pod cone filters? Err... yeah. Pretty similar story. In the 50's/60's the 'thing' to aid aspiration was a big bell-mouth ram-stack. Provided a lot of air correction to smooth out flow going into the carb, and a volume upstream of the carb, where when you get 'stand off' effects, or reverse flow, through the carb, when a pressure wave or actual air-flow echo backwards from the closed inlet valve and caused a second suck through the carb-jets, and 'haze' of enriched mixture coming backwards out of the carb, the ram-stack would provide some space for it to linger, without being dumped to atmosphere, so it would get sucked back in again when the inlet opened again and started sucking, which was particularly critcal on two-strokes.

Cone filters started to become common in the 70's & 80's. Their flow capacity is usually pretty crap. Sat right on the end of the carb, they offer no air correction to smooth flow into the carb; worse, with a the filter element around the rim of the carb-mouth, they actually provide a restriction, making air turn a tight 90 degree bend inside the filter, where ther's bog all space for it, and generate turbulence, rather than air-correction whilst they are about it... do trap vapour stand-off, though and that was about all that they were ever much good for.

On highly tuned engnes / modded bikes where the air-box couldn't be ratained as the carbs had been swapped, and or the engine made to breath that much more to make so much more power than the air-box could flow, they were a convenience, and offered no gains in themselves, other than having to make a more effective hi-flo air-box, and often did more harm to engine performance than good; but were a acceptable compromise, if the whole worked better overall.

Many many other problems with the darn things, like in close set 4-carb set-ups the two outer carbs shrouding the air-flow from the centres, whilst the side-ways flow meant that adjacent carbs could be tryig to suck from thier nieghbours, screwing jetting... then rain or water-spray dampng the elements, causing curiouse runnng issues in the wet, and they clog quick, so flow drop off, occurs after maybe a few hundred miles not factry service intervals, and they are expensive so folk loath to chuck away defective pods, they are convinced are an 'upgrade'.

How many 'problems' do you want to make for yourself in this little project?

Identifying and blanking redundant air-bx plumbing, REALLY is the least of your worries here!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

martynmoore
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:38 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
No filters at all would work better than fitting a set of wanky cones.

Oh I like the look of the cones, personally. And without a rear mudguard I think I need something to stop the muck going straight down the throats.

martynmoore
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:55 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Identifying and blanking redundant air-bx plumbing, REALLY is the least of your worries here!

Thanks for all that, Mike. Really interesting reading and I appreciate your time.

Well, I don't really have any worries, to be honest. The project is a bit of fun and I just want to build something that looks very different from the bike it started out as.

Right now the silencer is rotten but the downpipes look good. Fitting a short megaphone-style silencer would be my preferred solution.

The stock airbox won't give me the stripped-back, open look I'm going for. Gauze covered bell-mouths will look good, though.

Back in the old days we'd stick all this stuff onto our Bonnies, Z650s and CB750s without a care. You could try bigger jets, play around with the needle setting, and live with a slight flat-spot or a few mph off the top end, as long as it looked the part. My Z1R had an awesome backfire on the overrun.

Kids, eh?

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:02 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crankcase breather pipe runs into the airbox on stock bikes, so not too certain where you could route it. Putting a filter on it may work, but then again, some MOT testers may not like what they see... a crankase pipe venting to atmosphere.

I guess older bikes, like the much bobbed CX500 didn't have that regulatory requirement back then...

Check this out, just wished I had kept my CX now... their handling was truly dreadful tho!

https://www.bikeexif.com/1980-honda-cx500

martynmoore
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:36 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
I guess older bikes, like the much bobbed CX500 didn't have that regulatory requirement back then...

Thanks for the reply, Chris. A small filter will sit on the crankcase breather OK. I use a tester that builds modified bikes, so I'm hoping he's sensitive to the cause.

It was discovering what people were doing to CX500s that got me into all this in the first place. That and walking into a bike shop and discovering they are all so ugly these days, to my eyes, anyway.

I have a first generation Speed Triple that is too perfect to mess with and an old car that's fully restored. The arrival of Built magazine pushed me over the edge.

The old bike was so cheap, the project is just a bit of fun to keep me away from the pub.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:09 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

martynmoore wrote:
Well, I don't really have any worries, to be honest.

So, you just thought you' go make some.... that's the sort of logic that's seen my old man divorced three times!! "Well, it seemed like a good idea......... at the time!" Is the usual excuse!

If you are runing without a rear mudguard 'for the look'?!?!? There's little hope for you. CLEAR PERSPEX and a hair dryer, is a wonderful thing! Open bell-mouths and gauze? With a back tyre chucking road slime, stones, dust ad every other manner of crap at the intakes even in the dry? Those Bonie era rose tints REALLY do need a bit of a clean me-thinks!

ER-5 is water-cooled; it's not exactly got the ingredients for a stripped down bare bones 'look' from the go-get.. or does it have so much engine as to make a feature of just being 'all engine'... it wouldn't be my top choice for even an 'project' in aesthetics, TBH...

Working with what you got? It's a water-cooled budget bult twin-shock 90's commuter. May be a twin like a Bonnie A65 or XS650, but it don't have FINS, or curves. That engne is remarkeably unatractive; it was deigned orignally to be hidden behind fairings in the ZX10, before being cut half for the GPz500s, and pressed into service i the EN500 eliminator and ER5 commuter, that were never really expected to be particularly pretty.

Gong with what you got, and old sckool, form follows function; I wouldn't try ad force a style from old air-cooled Cafe's or flat-trackers it just doesn't have the traits to pull off on it.

For the look, I would look long and hard at it, and work with it's strengths.... err, T-Shocks... Yup, I think that's about all I can thnk off lol.

For a good Cafe look, rearsets and acebars would be order of the day; chrome shrouded Hagons pobably the cetre-piee of the back end, mimicking old girlng puddle-stirrers, topped with an abreviated bum-stop seat. Front end, I would hide the motor as the factory did with a curvy full-fairing, probably adapting something like an early TZ race fairng like a Dunstal or Rickman 'enurance' cowling. Ali tank would be the order of the day for a feature in the middle, probably with wide rubber strap down the middle. I would probably try ad cover the air-box area with flat panel or beaten alloy plate side-panels/infills, in keeping with the theme, rather than ditch them.

For a more contemprary Brat-Chop look? I would probably try take my inspiration from the 90's survival specials, rather than contemprary hip-ster geeknick Bike shed anomolies.... Wold probably have to have knoblies; loose the front and rear mudguards, then the motor again, de-accentuised with gas masks, industrial air-con ducting, holders for gerry cans and that sort of stuff!

For a lean-mean and purposeful, flat-tracker / almost off-road sort of style? I thik I would probably look long and hard at the KLE500, and the 90's PD replicas; they pulled off a lot of heavy styling ad the KLE was actually a remarkeably handy off-roader in that gap between factory motards and full on PDR's.

Two-Toning the engine, contrasting color between block and barel, and blocking the feux-fins, sort of helped make that motor a little less visually boring; Offers otions it might be made a little more of a visual element, polishing priary drive and generator casings, leang the water-jacket black, ala iron barel A65's etc, polishig rocker covers, could make it a bit more of a feature.... but wold still leave issue of the ugly rad, that would need some sort of nacelle, even if you gave it a stianless nacelle ala the kettle or similar early Elcies. That as a more prominant feature, fro three angles of view, would probably e far more important than the mid-section air-box area, that could just be boxed or cowled to cover OE air-box... And which cold still be made a little ore interesting, with black paintand half rams, or actual scoops ALA V-Max.

There's scope for a LOT of messg there, but, bike wuld have to give e the hnts as I went I think; you cant force a style on one, and an ER5? It's ot going to make it easy...

Remember, they have water heated carbs, to avoid the icing issues Kawasaki incurred in the early 90's as unleaded and lower octane fuel started to proliferate... that pipe work isn't gong to ever be nc to look at, and owners have been beg caght out by the issue, especially o grey-ports without the UK heater kits, ever since... It is an area I would be cautious to try work around rather than dive into.

Pipe: dependg on ultimate result, a short cont-style taper could work well, more contemprary is the unbiqueteouse stuby round can; be a final detail I'd worry about when the rest was looking like it should, I think. For that sort of reverse mega 'style' I would probably be looking at an after market taper silencer, sort of late 70's Super-bike ish; and for lols maybe even a shot gun pair, like a CB750-Four or z1, possbly st on one side! Dependng o what fitted with eventual overall style.

Rippng out the mid-sectionl Dumping mudguards? Trying to go ultra minimalist, see through the pipe-work on a 90's T-Shock with ugly pressed gussets and a water-cooled motor? I don't think that it would pull it off, wthout a lot of detail work to tidy it up and make features, whether parts or space; and starting with fetures like pods and mega's, is tugging the tiger's tail, waiting for it to bite you, rather than jong for he jugular..

But your project... and f you ave nothing better to worry about... well, lucky man!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Re: What happens when all those pipes and the airbox have go Reply with quote

martynmoore wrote:
I will junk the airbox for separate conical airfilters and the silencer will be replaced by a short reverse cone megaphone.

that will give a noisy, gass guzzling machine that will run like a bog of sh`t in the wet....

pray do tell how you get on ...

Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:48 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confidently predict it will run like an utter bagowank on pods. If it runs at all. Also that you will not be able to modify the carburettion to compensate for this.

From previous experience, I predict it will idle normally and rev reasonably well up to around 6,500rpm, then it will be like you've hit a brick wall and will go no further.

Keep the airbox.

Dynojet don't even make stage 3 kits (the one you'd use if you were fitting pod filters) for kawasaki 500 twins. I'm pretty sure that's because they couldn't get them to run right.

The crankcase breather on my enfield vents off the back mudguard and farts watery emulsion all over following cars, never been mentioned on the MOT. In fact, I'm not aware of the engine or engine componants being part of the MOT

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:53 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

martynmoore wrote:
Gauze covered bell-mouths will look good, though.

Might look good, but can be remarkably restrictive compared to pleated cone filters (which are shaped like that to give a good surface area).

All the best

Katy

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:41 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The crankcase breather on my enfield vents off the back mudguard and farts watery emulsion all over following cars, never been mentioned on the MOT. In fact, I'm not aware of the engine or engine componants being part of the MOT

That's because it's an Enfield Laughing And putting an MOT on a "antique curiosity" aka motorised Bathchair is quite straightforward.

Quote:
I'm not aware of the engine or engine componants being part of the MOT

Excessive exhaust fumes from worn engine/worn valves etc, etc...

As for the original question - I do think it's a feasible project and the airbox problem can be resolved. These engines can be modded to run cleanly at all rev ranges.

If they can do it with a bobbed CX (see above) they can do it with a ER.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:13 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:

Quote:
I'm not aware of the engine or engine componants being part of the MOT

Excessive exhaust fumes from worn engine/worn valves etc, etc...

Care to back that with a Citation from the MOT testing manual?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:40 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only custom ER5 I've seen that tempted me was a 'military' job. The only images I can find are small ones from a defunct advert.

https://i.imgur.com/u5887jc.png
https://i.imgur.com/IFRdQEk.png
https://i.imgur.com/yodXmxd.png
https://i.imgur.com/YRnv8AA.png

Significant to this thread because it's retained the stock airbox. Lick of paint, some dickery with the rear subframe, you've got something distinctive but which might actually run decently.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:22 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be arsed to read the usual Tef text wall (He must just copy and paste, surely?) but my advice is to keep the airbox at all costs. Pods will run like @rse, and the airboxes on semi recent bikes are designed very carefully. Trying to remove it will just result in pain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Euro 4 emissions limits

This is one of the changes that could sound the death knell for older bikes come the end of 2016, as Euro 4 rules are nearly twice as strict as the Euro 3 regulations that have been in place since 2006. The rules vary depending on performance, but for most full-size bikes carbon monoxide emissions, currently limited to 2.0g/km (grams per kilometre), drop to a maximum of 1.14g/km, while hydrocarbon limits drop from 0.3g/km to 0.17g/km and NOx falls from 0.15g/km to 0.09g/km. What’s more, the Euro 4 also introduces a durability test, so manufacturers need to prove that their engines can still meet the limits after 20,000km of use.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:20 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 (Posted: 18:51 - 30 May 2017) wrote:
Euro 4 emissions limits

This is one of the changes that could sound the death knell for older bikes come the end of 2016,

Err. I know that if you asked me the day of the week, I'd probably be as lost as if you asked me to name the capitol city of Kualalumpa.... but, I'm pretty sure 2016 ended about half a year ago.... didn't it? Laughing

Meanwhile my quarter century old motorcycle, has passed an MOT since then... it's had a death-knell since I bought it over a decade ago... it's a Honda! With an alternator chain rattle! But I suspect that is just a ruse; it will probably find something far more ingenious to vex me with in the end!

However, whilst they are back-dooring Euro regs, via the congestion charge zone, and local council by-laws; the C&U regs are not retrospective. Older vehicles still enjoy laxer emissions via granddad-rights, and I don't believe constitute part of the MOT test, that requires no more than lack of 'excessive' exhaust smoke or for an exhaust to be 'unduly loud'! I don't believe even catalyst equipped motorcycles need have a CO sniffer shoved up their chuff, for the MOT... yet.....

Euro regs may make older designs un-registerable; but vehicles all ready registered (or that may be registered on authoritative pre-reg dating evidence) 'should' still be legal to use for some time so come, at least where rather contentious Local Council By-Laws , County Court Orders or Temporary-Restriction-Orders aren't imposed....

Heave help us if it gets so far that German style 'historic vehicle' regs are imposed that only allow. I think very very old veteran, vehicles to be used on the public road, by council issued 'permit' after providing an air-craft style 'flight-plan' application, with full justification for why a single journey need be made!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

martynmoore wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Thanks for all that, Mike. Really interesting reading and I appreciate your time.

Well, I don't really have any worries, to be honest. The project is a bit of fun and I just want to build something that looks very different from the bike it started out as.

Right now the silencer is rotten but the downpipes look good. Fitting a short megaphone-style silencer would be my preferred solution.

The stock airbox won't give me the stripped-back, open look I'm going for. Gauze covered bell-mouths will look good, though.

Back in the old days we'd stick all this stuff onto our Bonnies, Z650s and CB750s without a care. You could try bigger jets, play around with the needle setting, and live with a slight flat-spot or a few mph off the top end, as long as it looked the part. My Z1R had an awesome backfire on the overrun.

Kids, eh?

Don't encourage him FFS. He told one member that 360 Degress = 5 1/4 turns.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:54 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
Quote:

Euro 4 emissions limits

This is one of the changes that could sound the death knell for older bikes come the end of 2016, as Euro 4 rules are nearly twice as strict as the Euro 3 regulations that have been in place since 2006. The rules vary depending on performance, but for most full-size bikes carbon monoxide emissions, currently limited to 2.0g/km (grams per kilometre), drop to a maximum of 1.14g/km, while hydrocarbon limits drop from 0.3g/km to 0.17g/km and NOx falls from 0.15g/km to 0.09g/km. What’s more, the Euro 4 also introduces a durability test, so manufacturers need to prove that their engines can still meet the limits after 20,000km of use.

Care to back that with a citation from the MOT testing manual?

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never had an er500,
but i have had a gs500 that i put pods on.
so id say it'll be near enough the same as far as results.

in my case, the gs500 had mikuni cv carburettors,
which like any cv carbs, they are known for being an arse to run with out an air box,

eventually after about 12 main jet changes, multiple needle clip changes,
and a couple of pilot jet changes, i managed to get it to run as good as it did pre airbox removal.

so it can be done. Very Happy
but i used a fuck load more fuel.
like an extra 50% more fuel!! which frankly is just rediculous,

i ended up going back to an air box in the end as i had quite a long daily commute, and it wasnt worth it.

if i was to do it again, id probably go for slide carbs, rather than a cv carbs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1