Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Corbs Vs May

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

Come on, changing what he said when putting it as a quote is really plumbing the depths. You appear to have just added the bits in bold to make his comment on not being alive in 1980 apply to the whole 1980s.

All the best

Katy

I must be missing something here, because that looks like plain and simple back pedalling to me. There was no changing of what he said, I just put the two statements together to show the conflict.

"When did I say I was alive in the 80's" followed by "I don't remember much of the 1980's".

1980... 80s, you realise one's a year and the other a decade right? You were the one going on about 37 years ago when I'm not in my thirties.

mpd72 wrote:
So people were only allowed a max of £2,000 a month of tax payers money for the rent? My heart bleeds. How on earth could they afford Sky TV, fags, booze and mobiles?

Or you could see it as clamping down on people who were taking the piss, including private landlords.

No, off the top of my head they reduced the amount for people 35 and under to £90 from £180. So that wouldn't even cover where I live, let alone people living in less shit areas.

Also it's utter nonsense they've been clamping down on people, I know an elderly woman who's fully blind, and they've been telling her for years she's going to be re-assessed. It's still not happened.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:
[
No, off the top of my head they reduced the amount for people 35 and under to £90 from £180. So that wouldn't even cover where I live, let alone people living in less shit areas.

Where are you getting this Halved to £90 a week figure from?

Housing benefit was capped at £2,000 a month. An average scum bag family with 2 adult chavs and 2 trainee chavs can live in a private rental of at least £700 pcm where I live.

It's tough for single unemployed, which is ironic, because this group are probably the least likely to be skiving gits, but £360 a month housing benefit seems low for outside of London, let alone in it.

If you are a single private renter under the age of 35, you are usually only entitled to housing benefit at the shared accommodation rate. Sauce

With the rates for my council (for example): https://www.haringey.gov.uk/council-tax-and-benefits/housing-benefit-and-council-tax-reductions/local-housing-allowance/lha-rates
£90 for outer north london and £100 for inner.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 02 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just because there's two unemployed adults, it doesn't mean the money magically doubles. Or if it does, it's only done so under the caring, sharing, Tories.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
And just because there's two unemployed adults, it doesn't mean the money magically doubles. Or if it does, it's only done so under the caring, sharing, Tories.

Can you still afford fags, booze, broadband, smart phones and Sky TV though?

You know, the basic needs before free food comes into play.

From previous experience, no. It was a good job I don't smoke and wasn't much of a drinker. Not to mention finding £100 a month to top up the rent for a two up two down terrace hardly big enough to seeing swing a cat.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention finding £100 a month to top up the rent for a two up two down terrace hardly big enough to seeing swing a cat.

From previous experience I don't think you'll be getting much sympathy Smile

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This nurses foodbank stuff is complete nonsense. At university you have to live on 2000 to 3000 a year after accommodation, actually even less than JSA! Yet a nurse with ten times that needs a foodbank? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Not to mention finding £100 a month to top up the rent for a two up two down terrace hardly big enough to seeing swing a cat.

From previous experience I don't think you'll be getting much sympathy Smile

I don't expect sympathy, but I do expect to put the bullshit in line. Wink

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
This nurses foodbank stuff is complete nonsense. At university you have to live on 2000 to 3000 a year after accommodation, actually even less than JSA! Yet a nurse with ten times that needs a foodbank? Laughing

At uni you can take a part time job to supplement it. Plus you don't have the same level of bills as running your own house.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

If you are a single private renter under the age of 35, you are usually only entitled to housing benefit at the shared accommodation rate. Sauce

With the rates for my council (for example): https://www.haringey.gov.uk/council-tax-and-benefits/housing-benefit-and-council-tax-reductions/local-housing-allowance/lha-rates
£90 for outer north london and £100 for inner.

So who gets the £1040 a month for a 1 bed flat then?

Scummers with a "bird", former homeless and those who've done time, by the look of it. Typical Labour, rewarding the feckless.

Quote:
The shared accommodation rate should not apply if you are 25 or over and can show that you:

lived in homeless hostels for at least three months and accepted rehabilitation or support services before moving to the private rented sector
are a former prisoner and are managed under the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA)

I feel we're going to get into the government or council argument again. Maybe this from Barnet (Conservative) will help:
If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation

AFAIK (CBA checking the rates for every council) it's a national policy.

I don't expect sympathy, but I do expect to put the bullshit in line. Wink

Nah, everyone on benefits is living the high life, never mind if the reality's a dank bedsit. I remember one of mates got a bedsit, we stayed there one night and barely slept as it sounded like someone was being murdered. He moved back home after that Laughing

Edit: interesting about the hostel thing, I work(ed) with a few guys who got a place after being in a hostel, I wondered how they managed it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:05 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Are we supposed to believe that all food bank users have given up fags, booze, smartphones, satelite TV and broadband before they need to beg for food?

Don't mention porridge or you'll get death threats.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
Are we supposed to believe that all food bank users have given up fags, booze, smartphones, satelite TV and broadband before they need to beg for food?

Don't mention porridge or you'll get death threats.

A daily mail link? How could you Crying or Very sad

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going in for the fundament basics of survival that society should cover as a security net? Though this had been done to death here already Laughing

Whilst I support her right to say it and do not get offended, why do people in ivory towers feel they can preach to people in mud huts? Same issue I have with celebs come election or referendum time really.

Yes many of us bottom dwellers are feckless and wasteful, what people do not seem to respond to is being preached at by the supposed 'haves'.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a straightforward call though mpd, it is a bit like foreign aid, consider it a bit of a bribe of sorts for some.

As has already been covered in other threads it will only get worse as technology progresses. They could try to install an ancap paradise of sorts or even an equitable solution where only fundamentals are covered, food and roof for all ala very basic UI. How long before people are squealing from the crime and rioting. As you said in an earlier post, food, roof, TV, sky, Xbox etc are now considered 'the basics'.

I read something a good while ago about giving out from the government. The jist was historically as social programs expand and develop and people get more free stuff, attempting to rescind or reverse always causes instability. Can't remember the source though.

Just for fun:
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/18813660_10155195542114003_5167418222764437259_n.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Nah, everyone on benefits is living the high life, never mind if the reality's a dank bedsit.

We have families into their third generation where no members have worked for a living. Are you saying they don't do this out of choice then?

It quite clearly provides a standard of living, which some see as good enough not to bother getting a job.
Didn't you say that you live in a household where your parents chose not to work, but you broke the mould by getting a job? I thought you said something along those lines when you where whining about having to contribute to the benefits paid rent, because you were living with your parents and working full time?

No, my parents are pensioners. I gave the example of someone from a doley family being put off work, as they have to pay the lion share of the rent (and not merely 'contribute').

You'll always get scroungers, the best thing to do is keep them on the cheapest benefits possible (job seekers doesn't make up that much of the welfare budget). Short sighted policies which 'push' people onto more expensive benefits, or make work less attractive aren't the answer IMO.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that as soon as you get a job from being on the dole, they pull the rug from under you is enough to put the majority off.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:50 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
why do people in ivory towers feel they can preach to people in mud huts?

Maybe if you listened you wouldn't be grubbing about in the dirt.

Sload wrote:
people do not seem to respond to is being preached at by the supposed 'haves'.

True, but that's your loss.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sload wrote:
why do people in ivory towers feel they can preach to people in mud huts?

Maybe if you listened you wouldn't be grubbing about in the dirt.

We all need someone to look down upon, until there's no one below you Thinking

https://i0.wp.com/vulturehound.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/RCclass.jpg?resize=590%2C336

Rogerborg wrote:
Sload wrote:
people do not seem to respond to is being preached at by the supposed 'haves'.

True, but that's your loss.

As I said it doesn't work, if you're doley 'scum' and hang around with doley 'scum' then that's your normal. I don't consider people in social housing scum (unlike some people Wink) because half the people I know are in council/housing association accommodation.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't consider people in social housing scum (unlike some people Wink) because half the people I know are in council/housing association accommodation.

Got a good lock for that Striple I hope... Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10