Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet camera advise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:04 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Helmet camera advise Reply with quote

I'm looking to get myself a helmet camera.
I'm not interested in moaning and putting it on YouTube.
I just want it incase of an accident and to record my rides for personal viewing. And so a Mic input wouldn't bother me.
What is important is battery life or the ability to change it.
And I don't want a massive box on the side of my head.

The two I'm considering is the drift stealth 2 and the ghost s.
The stealth 2 is half the price of the ghost s but doesn't have replaceable batteries but for the cost saving I could buy 2.

Anyone have these cameras? What are they like. I've heard stories of the software being buggy.
Also what are they like on your helmet. Can you feel the weight or the drag when on the bike?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 advice

I have the older Drift HD so can't specifically advise on those cameras, I would say Drift cameras seem to be hit and miss but the customer service's good (so if you get a bad one they should replace it).

I'd definitely work out a solution if you're likely to ride beyond the battery life. Some people on here use a USB charger whilst riding. Again with the bigger Drift you do notice the camera on windy days but it's not too bad.

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:22 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the drift hd bigger than the ghost s?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they're the same size, the stealth's meant to be smaller.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:33 - 29 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the drift ghost and the ghost s. Don't have software issues with either of them. Easy enough to transfer footage to comp for editing etc and the picture is plenty good enough for the insurance purposes, the S is slightly better but not much in it tbh. The battery packs off ebay are pretty good value and the ones i bought last as long as the originals

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:30 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a original Drift that was a cheap factory refurb. After a while I could not be fucked with the thing though, battery life was only a hour so needed 2 to cover a journey @ 720p.

Really should get back into keeping it rolling though.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:25 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the cheapest helmet cam (HD) from ebay (I think it cost about £20 almost 2 years ago) and never had any issues. More recently (about 5-6 months ago), I bought a Maxtek cam (4k & wifi) from Aldi for around £40-£50 (which came with a 32gb micro SD card). Surprisingly both cameras do exactly what I expected them to... and in fairly decent quality too.

inb4 anything other than GoPro or Drift are crap and don't waste your money on anything other than a GoPro or Drift Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:02 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an SJCAM 4000 that I've had a couple of years.

Works a treat, no reliability issues, a quarter of the price of the equivalent gopro when I got it.

I know nothing about other action cams though so I'm sure there are better our there for similar cash these days

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopro hero session is small, battery is fixed but I get around 2 hours at 1080p 30fps.

I charge it twice a week.
One click record, click again to stop. It's waterproof without needing any additional case.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Gopro hero session is small, battery is fixed but I get around 2 hours at 1080p 30fps.

One click record, click again to stop. It's waterproof without needing any additional case.

And how much did you pay for that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:49 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Helmet camera advise Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
The two I'm considering is the drift stealth 2

S'OK.

Mine is 2 years old. It's locked up a couple of times. The claimed 3 hour battery life is wildly optimistic. Mine was closer to 2 hours from new, and is down to about 90 minutes now.

That's with daily use in all weathers and many recharge cycles, mind.

You can power it off of an external power pack in dry weather.

The rear cover is fiddly. The lock wheel on mine came off, and needed glued back on. I will lose the rear cover at some point.

However, it's still working fine, performs decently in most light conditions, and is fully rain proof (the LCD steams up but the camera functions fine).

I still haven't seen anything better in that form factor for that price.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:51 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

And how much did you pay for that?

Doesn't really matter, they are absolutely awesome for the 150 quid.

My little chinky 4k cam was about 30 all in from gearbest. It works well and the quality is damn surprising in the daytime.

If I wanted a small usable one with excellent quality, I'd use the Session.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at these, partly for corroboration in case of accident and partly to record some events I help out on. The git2 seems one of the best gopro clones, with good image stabilisation for bike use, and slightly better supported than buying a generic sj4000 clone from eBay where you are never quite sure what you'll get delivered.

Having said that, I saw a lovely roadhawk E10 installation on a 1400gtr this weekend, with the recorder tucked away in a glovebox and the covert camera mounted forward facing inside the front of the wing mirror housing. I only realised it was there when I saw the glove box open - and I've seen and ridden with that bike several times. Eye wateringly expensive though Sad

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:04 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Helmet camera advise Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

So you can record at the same time as having it connected to a usb battery pack thing?

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:48 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partner and I both use stealth 2s. They do everything you want and you don't notice them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:23 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Helmet camera advise Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

So you can record at the same time as having it connected to a usb battery pack thing?

Yes. You can set it up to auto-record when powered on (like you'd use it in a car), but you won't be doing that all the time since the sockets have to be exposed to the elements to power it. You can switch it on manually and start recording while it's being powered.

And to anticipate, yes, it does loop recording. I won't say OMFG bestast camra EVAR, but it does what I need it to do without much fuss.

I will lose that back cover though - it should really be hinged or otherwise secured. Now that I think about it (after 2 years...), I reckon I might superglue a piece of cable-tie or similar between the cover and the body. Thinking

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Helmet camera advise Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Deadonkey wrote:

Yes. You can set it up to auto-record when powered on (like you'd use it in a car), but you won't be doing that all the time since the sockets have to be exposed to the elements to power it. You can switch it on manually and start recording while it's being powered.

And to anticipate, yes, it does loop recording. I won't say OMFG bestast camra EVAR, but it does what I need it to do without much fuss.

I will lose that back cover though - it should really be hinged or otherwise secured. Now that I think about it (after 2 years...), I reckon I might superglue a piece of cable-tie or similar between the cover and the body. Thinking

Doesn't that compromise the waterproof...ness? With the original drift you have two covers, the one with mic/usb slots isn't meant to be waterproof.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:54 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for any of the drift series, I have the Ghost HD and its fantastic.

Ive had cheap chinko ones in the past and theyve all been universally shite, potato quality. Just dont even bother.

I use the rear cover with the flappy rubber seal for USB & external mic input all year round, through some seriously atrocious downpours and theyre still waterproof .

They also have the added bonus of not making you look like a Tellytubby like tyhe GoPro style square things do.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:52 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Helmet camera advise Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Doesn't that compromise the waterproof...ness?

The Stealth doesn't have a power + waterproof solution unless there's some external case. What I mean is that the rear cover has to be completely detached to get access to the sockets and I'm surprised that I haven't managed to lose it yet.

The bodge would be to make an external hinge like... hang on...

https://i.imgur.com/H5m5JtZ.png

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:56 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ban Ste.

India for Mod.

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:25 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

slight hijack...

does anyone use fixed (permanently mounted) camera(s) with a recorder mounted under the seat or elsewhere. powered by the bike
e.g.
https://www.4kam.com/bike_camera_motorcycle_cam_packages.htm
https://www.innovv.com/the-k
(or cheap 中文 equivalent)

I'm thinking this would be more suitable for my needs, I don't want to be a vlogger, I'd just like automatic recording whenever the bike is on, just in case I need it one day.

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:05 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got myself a drift stealth 2.
What an absolute nightmare.

1. It wont work in car dashcam mode. It takes about 10 mins of footage then stops recording.
2. It stops charging at certain points. I had it on charge for like 6 hours and it wouldnt get over 70%.
Disconnect the usb and reconnect it and it continues.

Its a shame because its tiny and the footage is great quality. But its just too unreliable.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:07 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's faulty.... Exchange it for one that works Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Well i got myself a drift stealth 2.
What an absolute nightmare.

1. It wont work in car dashcam mode. It takes about 10 mins of footage then stops recording.
2. It stops charging at certain points. I had it on charge for like 6 hours and it wouldnt get over 70%.

Its a shame because its tiny and the footage is great quality. But its just too unreliable.

M.C wrote:
I would say Drift cameras seem to be hit and miss but the customer service's good (so if you get a bad one they should replace it).

Also I believe other people on here have specifically had issues with a 'bad' stealth 2, got it replaced and had no further issues. There quality control seems a bit...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:33 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:

What mode have you got it set on, exactly?

Deadonkey wrote:

Oh, sorry, I should have said (Embarassed) they really don't like being charged over a low power USB computer socket. You'll want a mains-to-USB charger punting out at least 1A, preferably more.

If it is giving you gyp, I agree that they do seem to be good with replacements. That's the advantage over gambling on something like an SJCAM.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2