Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mod 2 at Enfield

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:19 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Mod 2 at Enfield Reply with quote

Hello again.
Off to do my final test this week at Enfield. Have been riding and practising doing the shoulder checks when pulling off, turning etc. Anything I need to know before I do it? Watched a few Mod 2 videos on youtube they seemed to have helped. Haven't had any training just like my Mod 1, practised myself.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 20 zones in the area, they are easy to spot as they have the humps in the road.
There is also a stop sign at the junction of Scotland Green Rd and South Street. Remember to come to a full stop and put a foot down before progressing, as this is a place you are highly likely to fail as it's a not busy at all and you're almost always going to be looking early at a clear junction.
Pretty much enjoy it though, it's a nice easy ride from Enfield.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:26 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers PJay, this is the junction your talking about:
https://goo.gl/maps/Z3G8J1VmFnH2
I will also note that the road outside the test centre is a 20. Will have a ride around there tomorrow for a few hours and get a bit familiar with the roads.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:36 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enfield has the lowest pass rate in the country, but try not to let it worry you. Whistle

If you can use a bus lane, use it. Slow into junctions, wheelie accelerate briskly out of them. Treat the speed limit as a target.

It doesn't matter where you go on the independent riding section, just go there safely and confidently. Commit to your route early and don't change lanes at the last second.

If you can lose the examiner, do it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
Cheers PJay, this is the junction your talking about:
https://goo.gl/maps/Z3G8J1VmFnH2
I will also note that the road outside the test centre is a 20. Will have a ride around there tomorrow for a few hours and get a bit familiar with the roads.

Yeah that's the junction, they do love to take you there.

The 20 outside the centre is only if you do a left turn afaik. You're not that likely to turn left as that just takes you into the industrial area.
I would just ask one of the instructors in the waiting room to clarify the speed there, but I'm pretty sure the right turn is 30.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:33 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Enfield has the lowest pass rate in the country, but try not to let it worry you. Whistle

If you can use a bus lane, use it. Slow into junctions, wheelie accelerate briskly out of them. Treat the speed limit as a target.

Yeah saw the pass rate Shocked
Bus lanes!
https://finelinedrivingacademy.co.uk/portals/0/buslane10.jpg
This sign means that busses, bikes and motorbikes can use the bus lane at anytime and cars or other vehicles can only use it before 7AM and after 7PM, correcto amundo?

Pjay wrote:
I would just ask one of the instructors in the waiting room to clarify the speed there, but I'm pretty sure the right turn is 30.

Will do.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
This sign means that busses, bikes and motorbikes can use the bus lane at anytime and cars or other vehicles can only use it before 7AM and after 7PM, correcto amundo?

Correct.
Also be aware that there are timed bus lanes that don't allow Motorcycles.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:48 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this. I thought the Mod 2 was going to be easier than the Mod 1, but it seems like the Mod 2 may be a little harder (incl. passing rate).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
Looking forward to this. I thought the Mod 2 was going to be easier than the Mod 1, but it seems like the Mod 2 may be a little harder (incl. passing rate).

I passed my car test at Enfield; drove round the corner and sat at a level crossing for ages Laughing Pjay has pointed out the main hazards (didn't we do this before?). 20 zones can be a pain as they paint the speed limit on the road. Also not really an issue on the bike but there's a junction where the left lane turns onto the M25, you don't want to get stuck in that Razz

If you go up Cheshunt way you'll have some country lane stuff, but the rest will be urban riding. Nothing to worry about Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:41 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know what to do by now, its too late.
Go ride. DON'T put on a performance trying to do stuff you dont 'normally' do, because you have a ma with a clipboard instead of a personality following you.
JUST ride t, like it was a rgular commute; doing what you would normally do; pay attention to traffic, to road markings; speed limits; etc etc etc.. ALL you have to do is show them a safe, competent, LEGAL ride...
If you think there is some magic, or trick to it, there isn't.
Don't try and impress the chap; they don't expect to see a BMF poster-By, just a little common sense and confidence.
No one will shoot you if you effup; they wont yell at you or tell you yo cant ever ride a motorbike again; they will just go throgh the chck-list, tell you what wasn't up to scratch, what to do to put it right, tell you to go practice and come back another day.
DON'T SWEAT IT!
Relax.. and just 'ride' think too much and you wont show them the confidence, and you will likely try doing stuff you should't 'just' to put on a 'show' not show them how 'safe' you really can ride.
Deep breath.. go do; prepare for the worst, but hope for the best; pass of fail, matters little.. and if you aren't ready by now, anythg you try learn in the next 48 hours or so till test, wont make much difference, and is unlikley to change the outcome for the better, much more likely dong soethig you aren't so familiar with t will change t for the worse, but either way, display a lack of confidence....

IF you don't have confidence you ca pass, you have, I believe till 24hrs before test to cancel and request a new date....

Given a month or so or more self teaching, do you rally think you will learn much to increase your proficiency and confidence?

And is that delay any more likely to up your dds of a pass, save you any money, or get you ay further ahead, than taking THIS test, and IF you fail being told what to do to pass next time, by the person who makes the call?

Calm down, go do... hope for the best, DONT put on a show ride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:49 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tef, understand what your saying. Just nerves I guess before the day. Same happened on my Mod 1, but when I turned up and got into gear, I was fine.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:41 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
you have, I believe till 24hrs before test to cancel and request a new date....

Tef's Law: any concrete number given will be wrong.

It's 3 full working days, which in typical civil service speak does not include the day that you cancel, or the day of your test. So, test on Friday = cancel on Monday or else you lose the money.

You need to pass just to prove what a waste of time and money it is paying some angry chap to sperg at you.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's 3 full working days.

Sometimes even the Borgster can be mistaken

Mod1 = 3 full working days
Mod2 = 10 full working days

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:01 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Sometimes even the Borgster can be mistaken

Tef's Law is commutative. Sad

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:25 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Mod1 = 3 full working days
Mod2 = 10 full working days

Said my last day of cancellation (on the order) was on Friday, which is also when I booked it. But who cares about that anyway.
Pretty sure if I follow the Mod 2 instructors/trainees when they're out doing the mod 2, they'll get pissed off at me? Laughing

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful info in here, good work BCF.

Best of luck dimerz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Oops Reply with quote

Pjay, you called out Rogerborg incorrectly. Cancelling test...mod 1 or 2 ....3 working days. You quoted retake waiting period.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:28 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any attempt to correct Tef's Law invokes Tef's Law. We're in a post factual forum now.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:14 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Any attempt to correct Tef's Law invokes Tef's Law. We're in a post factual forum now.

I love Roger Wub
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 18:16 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hope you don't get the tall english old bloke who looks like a slapped bum 24/7. He's a walking attitude problem. The "give them an inch of authority and they'll run a mile with it" type. They say they don't have it in for you, but this fucker clearly did, you could tell by his miserable tone of voice.

The short chubby jolly iranian looking fella is a lad though. And the short english fella who never smiles is actually a cool bloke too and not as intimidating as he looks at first glance.

A few things about the Enfield test area that stood out to me/instructors advised on:

20 Zones:
Lots of 20s and one-way systems in the more built up narrow residential areas. Remember everything you learned about one-ways and the positioning on approaching a junction on the one-way.

Follow kerb all the way to the left/right etc, I failed on this on my first Mod 1 for being a little over 2ft (if that) away from the kerb turning right so exaggerate it if you have to and get right up to the kerb so that a bike space cant fit between you and the kerb.

Also when it gets to narrow roads, be prepared to pull in for oncoming cars and don't forget to always indicate what you're doing, you might have to do that a couple times in the crowded two way residential 30 zones where everyone parks in the bastard road.

Here's one to note though. When you come back from the test you might end up coming back through this route, taking a left off Mollison Avenue into Innova Way, then taking a right at the roundabout onto Solar way (then a right into the test centre later down the road). Solar way is still a 20mph zone although the repeater signs are further down the road. The road looks big and open, but do 30 and you'll fail. As you come off the roundabout, check your right mirror and you'll see a 20 zone signposted there for traffic going down the opposite way, so that should give you an idea. Here's google maps link for reference

Roundabouts:
Get your roundabout exits correct. Punch this postcode into google maps: EN9 3QU

Look at those two roundabouts and take note of the exits. Don't end up on the M25. They'll be pretty clear about which exit to take but nerves mean you can get confused.

Also learn your roundabout drills in general because there's a fuckload of them around Enfield anywhere from 1 - 3 lanes and small to large.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:21 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks meef lots of good info there, roundabouts. I was riding around enfield today for quite a few hours and saw this roundabout and was a bit confused whether to treat it like a normal roundabout and cross lanes when i want to or not.. i went ahead and crossed lanes cause i had to get from The Broadway N14 to Chase Side N14, first 'round'about ive seen like that. Agh and i found a couple of bus lanes and one which states operation hours from 4-7pm, so they'll want me to go in that one. The other was in operation from 7AM-7PM and Motorbikes weren't in the exception.

And yeah cheers for the headsup with the 20mph did see that today.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont be going over those areas anyhow.

I was free all day I could have taken you on the test routes if I knew you were out and about...

They generally take you to Chingford, Waltham Abbey or Ponders End.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enfield bus lanes aren't a bikers free for all, and Enfield also has an actual STOP sign, in an utterly pointless place, Also watch out for your speed on Nags Head Road, it looks like it should be 40mph but is actually 30mph.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
I was riding around enfield today for quite a few hours and saw this roundabout and was a bit confused whether to treat it like a normal roundabout
It's a normal roundabout, not that you'll end up anywhere near it. You're far more likely to head towards Enfield Highway, the A10 or Waltham Cross, none of which are particularly challenging. That said I've lived in Enfield for fifty one years to I'm fairly used to the roads.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:12 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
You wont be going over those areas anyhow.

I was free all day I could have taken you on the test routes if I knew you were out and about...

They generally take you to Chingford, Waltham Abbey or Ponders End.

Gah, would've been helpful, did say i was heading out though Confused but didnt know you were around the area. Was quite hot today.

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Also watch out for your speed on Nags Head Road, it looks like it should be 40mph but is actually 30mph.

Just checked Nags Head Road on the maps, thanks for the point-out cant seem to find any 30mph signs either. But wouldv'e assumed it anyway as theirs houses and lamposts Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2