Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sunflower35
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:57 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

I've received nothing but unkind replies, so I'm removing the body of the post and closing this forum.

Sorry for apparently stepping out of line in something I said.

Last edited by sunflower35 on 20:35 - 30 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tritey

How big is his knob?

TSK
X

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Nob with a k?
By jove you are quite posh aren't you. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

sunflower35 wrote:
a daredevil and unafraid of danger

[...]

new Triumph Bonneville

Troll thread is crap when your story loses all credibility less than half way through.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:13 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

sunflower35 wrote:
I honestly just feel so lost

Being honest with yourself about identifying as a dragon is the first step. Thumbs Up

https://www.draconic.com/

sunflower35
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:13 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry if you all though I was trolling for some reason. I don't know anything about motorcycles, or which bikes are considered cool or edgy or dangerous by biker's standards. If I really look foolish for worrying about my boyfriend on this thread, I will just take it down. I really only wanted some kind of support...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

sunflower35 wrote:

Any advice, insight, or ideas that you have at all are greatly appreciated.

If you kill yourself, you'll never have to worry about him ever again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:16 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

Quote before any editing.

sunflower35 wrote:
For the past few months, I've been dating the most amazing man. I'm twenty-four years old, and my current partner, who is four years older than me, is the first real boyfriend I've ever had, and I've never loved anyone quite so much in my life. He's very traditionally masculine in a number of ways- he loves exercise, weightlifting, fighting, and is generally a daredevil and unafraid of danger, so we he informed me a couple of weeks ago that he was planning to purchase a motorcycle, I wasn't surprised in the least.

What has surprised me, however, is the crippling anxiety that overtook me as the day that we were to retrieve his motorcycle from a dealer about three hours away drew closer. Though my boyfriend had the option of having the bike delivered, he insisted on driving down to pick it up, instead, so that he could drive it back- despite the fact that the roads were wet from rain, we'd be hitting the busiest stretch of highway during rush-hour traffic, and, to top it off, this was his first real ride on a bike: the only other time he'd had any experience riding at all was during the classes he took over a weekend course to get his motorcycle licence. To the course's credit, my boyfriend made it back from the dealer on his new Triumph Bonneville with relatively little incident; he said that riding felt natural to him, and grinned like a child on Christmas morning, and talked constantly about how much he loved his new bike every time we stopped for gas. I, however, was an absolute nervous wreck as I drove the car we'd taken back home. I have never been so terrified in my life as I was during that awful three hours I spent glancing back in the rearview mirror constantly to make sure he hadn't crashed or fallen or been hit, and praying that somehow, he'd make it home safely. The anxiety has only gotten worse, ever since; he's taken the bike on a few trips to friends' places, in much less dicey conditions than the day we brought it home, but more and more, I find myself going to pieces at the thought that he could be hurt or killed.

It really doesn't help that all our friends keep making comments about how dangerous this is, how he's increased his odds of death by 600%, how he's "too important" to be taking the risks associated with riding a motorcycle- I don't understand why they bother making these comments, as they all know he's a typical bad boy, who won't take instruction from anyone other than himself, at the end of the day, and all they do is serve to frighten me more. I had nightmares about him dying yesterday evening, but didn't have the courage to tell him about it this morning, as I've already expressed so much worry to him, and don't want to spoil all his fun, as he's wanted this bike for so long, and has been saving for it for months.

I think it might be easier once he finally lets me ride with him. He's being really reluctant about taking me out on the bike for now, because apparently it's quite a trick to learn to ride with the extra weight, and he really doesn't want to put me in danger, but honestly, being in danger together, and assuming the risk of riding with him, would be infinitely better for me psychologically than having nothing to do but watch him behind me while I drive, and play out all these horrific scenarios in my head, or sit at home and fretfully watch the clock and pray that he hasn't been struck down and maimed or killed somewhere. I've tried explaining this to my boyfriend, but at this point, he's refusing to budge, and is likely going to make me either drive alone, or ride down with a friend, on an upcoming trip two weekends from now. I'm already working myself into a panic thinking of having to endure watching him ride, and being powerless to help him if something goes wrong, on another long car trip.

I love this man more than life itself, and I'm afraid that I'll end up driving him away with my fear. I know that my anxiety will wear thin eventually, if it hasn't already, and I really, really don't want this to end up being a dealbreaker. The fact that he's so brave and willing to take risks is generally something I admire about him, and I want to support him in everything he does, so I don't know why this bike purchase is proving so uniquey hard for me to come to terms with. To close friends, loved ones, spouses and family members of motorcyclists- is this kind of anxiety normal at the beginning? Does it subside eventually, provided that one is patient, or, if not, do you have any good advice to offer, or perspectives you might suggest I adopt, for getting used to this aspect of my boyfriend's life more quickly? I really just need some help; I feel completely alone in trying to reconcile this change, and while my boyfriend is being incredibly patient and kind, for now, I know that this anxiety will grate on him eventually if I don't get it under control soon.

Any advice, insight, or ideas that you have at all are greatly appreciated. I know that there are many of you in this forum who are motorcyclists yourselves, or have been with partners who ride for years, and have seen the works. I could really use some of your wisdom right now, as I honestly just feel so lost.

Thanks for listening.

Sunflower

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

he informed me a couple of weeks ago that he was planning to purchase a motorcycle,

this was his first real ride on a bike: the only other time he'd had any experience riding at all was during the classes he took over a weekend course to get his motorcycle licence.

My, how the DVLA are getting their fingers out.... And passing a theory test to boot.. Embarassed Laughing

I guess there is some YANKING going on here... Shocked

sunflower35
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:33 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you all TALKING about?! I seriously just wanted some help, or maybe a few people to share their experiences, and everyone is acting like this post is the most egregious thing they've ever seen.

I don't understand what I did wrong.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr Tritey said what?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum gone paranoid?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is a septic sunflower.
I saw highway and gas in there somewhere amongst all the touchy feely self help bullshit.
You'd be a lot more worried if you lived here OP, we have roads that aren't straight. They're positively deadly.
Tell him to get an FZ10 if he's such a thrill seeker. That will probably do the trick.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:50 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

sunflower35 wrote:
I'm removing the body of the post and closing this forum.

Shocked

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:33 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

Well, we had a good run. See you at The Rev Counter.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: Ste
Posted: 21:10 - 30 May 2017
Subject: Why are you being so unnecessarily rude?
I really don't understand why you felt the need to be so rude. I'm just new to the whole idea of dating someone who rides, and don't understand why everyone on this forum so far has given me such a hard time for asking for help from people who have more experience.

What do you have to gain from going after a young woman you don't even know? I didn't attack anyone, and you didn't have to continue reading my post if the subject matter didn't interest you.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:45 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is statistically far more likely to die from killing himself so he doesn't have to listen to you being a whingeing wimp.

Just tell him not to be a daft prick, tis what I tell ste daily before he rides to work.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Quote before any editing.

sunflower35 wrote:
For the past few months, I've been dating the most amazing man. I'm twenty-four years old, and my current partner, who is four years older than me, is the first real boyfriend I've ever had, and I've never loved anyone quite so much in my life. He's very traditionally masculine in a number of ways- he loves exercise, weightlifting, fighting, and is generally a daredevil and unafraid of danger, so we he informed me a couple of weeks ago that he was planning to purchase a motorcycle, I wasn't surprised in the least.

What has surprised me, however, is the crippling anxiety that overtook me as the day that we were to retrieve his motorcycle from a dealer about three hours away drew closer. Though my boyfriend had the option of having the bike delivered, he insisted on driving down to pick it up, instead, so that he could drive it back- despite the fact that the roads were wet from rain, we'd be hitting the busiest stretch of highway during rush-hour traffic, and, to top it off, this was his first real ride on a bike: the only other time he'd had any experience riding at all was during the classes he took over a weekend course to get his motorcycle licence. To the course's credit, my boyfriend made it back from the dealer on his new Triumph Bonneville with relatively little incident; he said that riding felt natural to him, and grinned like a child on Christmas morning, and talked constantly about how much he loved his new bike every time we stopped for gas. I, however, was an absolute nervous wreck as I drove the car we'd taken back home. I have never been so terrified in my life as I was during that awful three hours I spent glancing back in the rearview mirror constantly to make sure he hadn't crashed or fallen or been hit, and praying that somehow, he'd make it home safely. The anxiety has only gotten worse, ever since; he's taken the bike on a few trips to friends' places, in much less dicey conditions than the day we brought it home, but more and more, I find myself going to pieces at the thought that he could be hurt or killed.

It really doesn't help that all our friends keep making comments about how dangerous this is, how he's increased his odds of death by 600%, how he's "too important" to be taking the risks associated with riding a motorcycle- I don't understand why they bother making these comments, as they all know he's a typical bad boy, who won't take instruction from anyone other than himself, at the end of the day, and all they do is serve to frighten me more. I had nightmares about him dying yesterday evening, but didn't have the courage to tell him about it this morning, as I've already expressed so much worry to him, and don't want to spoil all his fun, as he's wanted this bike for so long, and has been saving for it for months.

I think it might be easier once he finally lets me ride with him. He's being really reluctant about taking me out on the bike for now, because apparently it's quite a trick to learn to ride with the extra weight, and he really doesn't want to put me in danger, but honestly, being in danger together, and assuming the risk of riding with him, would be infinitely better for me psychologically than having nothing to do but watch him behind me while I drive, and play out all these horrific scenarios in my head, or sit at home and fretfully watch the clock and pray that he hasn't been struck down and maimed or killed somewhere. I've tried explaining this to my boyfriend, but at this point, he's refusing to budge, and is likely going to make me either drive alone, or ride down with a friend, on an upcoming trip two weekends from now. I'm already working myself into a panic thinking of having to endure watching him ride, and being powerless to help him if something goes wrong, on another long car trip.

I love this man more than life itself, and I'm afraid that I'll end up driving him away with my fear. I know that my anxiety will wear thin eventually, if it hasn't already, and I really, really don't want this to end up being a dealbreaker. The fact that he's so brave and willing to take risks is generally something I admire about him, and I want to support him in everything he does, so I don't know why this bike purchase is proving so uniquey hard for me to come to terms with. To close friends, loved ones, spouses and family members of motorcyclists- is this kind of anxiety normal at the beginning? Does it subside eventually, provided that one is patient, or, if not, do you have any good advice to offer, or perspectives you might suggest I adopt, for getting used to this aspect of my boyfriend's life more quickly? I really just need some help; I feel completely alone in trying to reconcile this change, and while my boyfriend is being incredibly patient and kind, for now, I know that this anxiety will grate on him eventually if I don't get it under control soon.

Any advice, insight, or ideas that you have at all are greatly appreciated. I know that there are many of you in this forum who are motorcyclists yourselves, or have been with partners who ride for years, and have seen the works. I could really use some of your wisdom right now, as I honestly just feel so lost.

Thanks for listening.

Sunflower

Fucksake, even Tef has a sock account now Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe a new member would post in the correct section Folded arms

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/snowflake.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:40 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, BCF, the answer is obviously: tits and Gary.

What was the question?

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 00:18 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

>be go to bike forum
>be emotional wreck/overreact about muh dangerous biker bf
>be surprised that everyones taking the piss

probably a left wing feminist sjw who identifies as non binary

but legit cant tell if op is emotional woman or emotional homosex

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not GB Bikers so feel sorry for you is not likely. Oh and unless we have pictures of yourself in a state of undress sucking on a banana and playing with Dagmar, we are unable to give useful advise.

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

[quote="Ste"]
sunflower35 wrote:
I honestly just feel so lost

Being honest with yourself about identifying as a dragon is the first step. Thumbs Up

You really can't get over Dagmar can you ste.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:16 - 31 May 2017    Post subject: Re: How to deal with anxiety when dating a motorcyclist Reply with quote

Paddy Blake wrote:
Ste wrote:

You really can't get over Dagmar can you. Smile

People who think they're dragons can be found on: https://www.draconic.com/
Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2