Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Put Ralph to sleep today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Put Ralph to sleep today Reply with quote

So after a very difficult week, Ralph took a turn for the worse last evening. Coming to terms with making the last ever decision for him has been the most emotional thing I've ever done. I've lost my mother, all grandparents, been through some pretty shitty times.

Nothing hits you like having to say the sentence "It's time."

I'll miss this furry fucker. I really will. RIP Ralph.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/ewiunn44fds.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:14 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah man. Sorry to hear that mate. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by P. on 10:51 - 07 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, its such a tough decision to make, and even tougher when you carry it through

Big hugs xx

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you made that call then it was propbably for the best. Still shit though. Sad

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's incredibly hard, but it's also the final act of love for them.

Does feel awful though, even if it's the right thing Crying or Very sad

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough decision. I imagine it was the right decision, so you can hold on to that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible decision isn't it.

Look at it this way, you will make the best call for your pet that anyone will make because although you don't want him/her to go, you won't let them suffer.

They would thank you for it. Thumbs Up

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:51 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry mate, had to have my dog put down a few years ago so I understand what you went through......no-one in my family seemed to understand tho, " 's ok mate, can get you another dog", "ffs, it's only a dog", etc......

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
So sorry mate, had to have my dog put down a few years ago so I understand what you went through......no-one in my family seemed to understand tho, " 's ok mate, can get you another dog", "ffs, it's only a dog", etc......

Hope they'd be no different if it was a cat.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:10 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jewlio Rides Again"]
Stoker wrote:

Not so sure mate, they were curiously quiet when my GF died, and she had certain kittenish tendancies (Ste for mod)

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:44 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

Not so sure mate, they were curiously quiet when my GF died, and she had certain kittenish tendancies (Ste for mod)

Furry pussy? Eh?

On topic: Sad

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:24 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still miss my dog that I had put to sleep nearly a year ago.

I know what you mean about being harder than losing relatives.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lost our cat, Banzai, a little over six months back now, very different circumstances, no less difficult.

Sorry to hear it Karma

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 04 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a horrible thing to have to do and I understand your pain. We had our pooch put down just before Christmas and saying goodbye was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life so far, bar dealing with human deaths.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this m8, its always hard, I still have Oscars collar hanging on my bed post 2 years now, but Harvey makes it a bit easier.
Just think of the good times. Crying or Very sad

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 05 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to read this.
However you made the decision to let him go rather than him becoming a flippy floppy droopy and that would have not been a good life for him.

I lost my cat Marmalade the stupid cat in March and I was unable to make any decision because he was hit by a car.
I tried so hard to save him but no amount of vet care could do anything for him.

Did he have a happy life? Then he had a good life Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

I've had to do this 3 times over the last few years with various cats and dogs. I still hate myself for doing it, even though I knew they would suffer if I kept them alive.

It's heart wrenching each time and I was prepared to never have a pet again - right up until someone told us our latest needed a home because the owner was going in heart surgery and couldn't look after her.

Leggy (Allegra) is a gentle little soul who runs to greet me and goes mental every day when I come home from work. We've only had her a little while but she's part of our family now. Even my dad, who basically hates everything, likes her. She's awesome and she's helped me get over the loss of the others. Just make them happy while you can.

The thing is, I don't think the sadness ever goes.

I might have gone a bit rememberingist....

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, he's in a better place if there was good reason to put him down.

I'm currently struggling, one of our pup's (black/brown/tan one) got hit by a bicycle whilst we were out walking at Grafham and she got away from us (distressed and in flight mode), that was 3pm sat 03/06.

The bike properly nailed her but 100% our fault for not having her on a leash...

Spent every daylight hour over the weekend there searching. Called literally everyone. Vets, shelters, wardens, council etc. She's all over the local Facebook groups/pages and posters all around the very next day.

Yesterday posters went to the surrounding village high streets, pubs post offices, schools, churches. Half the people in the post offices already saw her on facebook. That's promising in a way...

I put some make shift huts out with pillows (smell of us) and am spraying the outside with deodorant, visiting at dawn & dusk.

She's done a half marathon in 2 hours so could be anywhere by now (only 10 miles from home) but is in an extremely rural area.

I've been out till dark every night since with our other pup in the general area but it's beyond unlikely I'll find her.

My family have no clue and think I've been at home, wife say's carry on if it eases my conscience but she's going to be realistic about it.

Pup's likely dead in a hedge but if she's not, if she's wondering around and just being out adds just 0.0001% to the chances she's found instead of this 'it's a waiting game' then I'm doing it.

I don't know. I've been looking after her the most by far, I just cant not do be doing everything possible whilst she may still be out there alone, injured, hungry and in distress.

She doesn't like strangers at the best of times and although lots of people have seen her picture, no one else is actually out there looking...

Apologies for the thread hijack. I know it sucks but you've got closure and a reason for what happened.
I'm in limbo here because I trusted a 2 year old dog to not be stupid...
She's always been sensible around bikes. I really fucked up and I can't fix this no matter what I do... Exactly how it feels.

Maybe it's harder?
You've lost your companion and there is nothing to do... No searching, no hope?

Either way, it's excruciating when you're close to an animal, I doubt anyone who's not been down that road will get it. Being raised with pets helps as well I guess.

I hope you can find some solace in the fact he's no longer suffering.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/18814306_10155425620315238_5274278457588562982_n.jpg

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Tbh, he's in a better place if there was good reason to put him down.

I'm currently struggling, one of our pup's (black/brown/tan one) got hit by a bicycle whilst we were out walking at Grafham and she got away from us (distressed and in flight mode), that was 3pm sat 03/06.

The bike properly nailed her but 100% our fault for not having her on a leash...

Spent every daylight hour over the weekend there searching. Called literally everyone. Vets, shelters, wardens, council etc. She's all over the local Facebook groups/pages and posters all around the very next day.

Yesterday posters went to the surrounding village high streets, pubs post offices, schools, churches. Half the people in the post offices already saw her on facebook. That's promising in a way...

I put some make shift huts out with pillows (smell of us) and am spraying the outside with deodorant, visiting at dawn & dusk.

She's done a half marathon in 2 hours so could be anywhere by now (only 10 miles from home) but is in an extremely rural area.

I've been out till dark every night since with our other pup in the general area but it's beyond unlikely I'll find her.

My family have no clue and think I've been at home, wife say's carry on if it eases my conscience but she's going to be realistic about it.

Pup's likely dead in a hedge but if she's not, if she's wondering around and just being out adds just 0.0001% to the chances she's found instead of this 'it's a waiting game' then I'm doing it.

I don't know. I've been looking after her the most by far, I just cant not do be doing everything possible whilst she may still be out there alone, injured, hungry and in distress.

She doesn't like strangers at the best of times and although lots of people have seen her picture, no one else is actually out there looking...

Apologies for the thread hijack. I know it sucks but you've got closure and a reason for what happened.
I'm in limbo here because I trusted a 2 year old dog to not be stupid...
She's always been sensible around bikes. I really fucked up and I can't fix this no matter what I do... Exactly how it feels.

Maybe it's harder?
You've lost your companion and there is nothing to do... No searching, no hope?

Either way, it's excruciating when you're close to an animal, I doubt anyone who's not been down that road will get it. Being raised with pets helps as well I guess.

I hope you can find some solace in the fact he's no longer suffering.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/18814306_10155425620315238_5274278457588562982_n.jpg

Sorry to hear this Sad

How long have you had the pup, does it know the area well?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1