Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

And this time it's London Bridge.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Re: machete dude.

As it happens, one of those machetes is exactly the same as my one that I use for camping and carry on the back of my bike in a drybag if I'm on a camping trip. They are cheap and nasty but pretty effective for cutting wood and brush. You can't put much of an edge on them.

Given the time it took the cooper to get as far as the blister pack (and try opening one of those without assistance of the recursive machete inside), you'd have trouble suggesting it was an offensive weapon.

That blue plastic looks like the standard packaging you'd get if you ordered one mail order and it was still sealed. I strongly suspect that guy was on his way back from having picked it up at a mail depot or had it delivered to a different address. Or was on his way to post it.

All I'm saying is that I got mine mail order, it was delivered to my work and I carried it home in very similar packaging. In fact, I'd opened it. I don't consider I should be arrested at gunpoint for doing so any more than for having it in my camping kit.

So it makes me wonder what is the correct procedure to carry a knife home from the shop? Because you'd do a lot more damage with a good chefs knife than with a cheapo barizilian machete straight from the shop and I could buy one of those on any high street. I'd imagine carrying it in secure packaging in such a way as it can't be used would be appropriate, in the same way as you'd transport a rifle or shotgun in a gunslip.

Genuine question as I don't go camping... see many black people?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:52 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a large machete then here you go: https://www.transtools.co.uk/hand-tools/garden-tools/garden-knives-and-cutting-tools/silverline-machete-and-sheath-400mm-16in

Mr. Green

I didn't give any thought to the dangers of being arrested at gun point when bringing it home from the shop. It was bought from a fishing shop.

But it did get hidden in the car for going through customs (or whatever it is when you drive though security) onto a ferry. Laughing

The guy on the bus must have done something to draw attention to himself and that was his first mistake.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The guy on the bus must have done something to draw attention to himself and that was his first mistake.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WZAoM30onC8/Ro2NOdLIdTI/AAAAAAAAAOk/WlrMDOPuaB8/s320/rageboyraging.JPG

I suspect gang related though.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Like carrying a handbag?

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went camping once with a friend, who saw fit to strap his axe and machete to outside of his backpack - wouldn't be my choice but hey-ho.

We stopped off at a big Tesco extra to get food on the way, and so were walking around Tesco with machete/axe in full view all the while. Was half expecting someone to freak out, but no-one did, we got our food then drove up to Dartmoor without any issues.

Camping was camped, logs were hacked to pieces,

Laughing @ all the small minded people on that facebook post tho. "Can't think we have many jungles in the UK" etc etc. Plenty of thick brush that required a machete bill-hook to cut through

Alternatively maybe he just wanted a machete to have at home and feel cool? It's sad as fuck but not illegal. My old housemate used to have a whole closet full of nasty cheap repro swords, neckbeardy yes, illegal no.

Last edited by smegballs on 08:03 - 17 May 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:22 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Because you'd do a lot more damage with a good chefs knife than with a cheapo barizilian machete straight from the shop

What about with three machetes? His garden must be in a right state.

Nobody is accusing snackbaristas of being the sharpest sandwiches at the picnic. Quite the opposite, really.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

If I see other people of any hue when I go camping, I go somewhere else.

I'll own up to actually having two machetes. One is brand new and still unused in the camping cupboard because I saw them ban sale of "Zombie knives" and thought it was likely to be the thin end of the wedge.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:05 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stinkwheel"]
M.C wrote:

I'll own up to actually having two machetes. One is brand new and still unused in the camping cupboard because I saw them ban sale of "Zombie knives" and thought it was likely to be the thin end of the wedge.

Yeah I was a bit worried about the whole "zombie knives" thing as at least three of my favourite camping tools qualify as a "zombie knife" according to the press I saw. Personally I have never cut anybody's head off with any of my camping tools and if left to my own that will probably remain the case. But I do wonder if the public knee jerk reactions and all the social whinging about KNIVES! will soon make legitimate people with legitimate knives/axes/etc into sudden suspects if they don't play the stupid panic game.

I hate to use a tired old cliche but knives, of any kind, don't kill people. Idiotic religious fanatic and gang members DO kill people with knives but take knives out of society and suddenly screwdrivers will be suspect. Do away with screwdrivers and rocks will become suspect. Pretty soon just being born will be enough to have you executed on suspicion of being capable of possibly contemplating committing some sort of offence someday.

"Watch out- he's got TEETH!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Yeah I was a bit worried about the whole "zombie knives" thing as at least three of my favourite camping tools qualify as a "zombie knife" according to the press I saw. Personally I have never cut anybody's head off with any of my camping tools and if left to my own that will probably remain the case. But I do wonder if the public knee jerk reactions and all the social whinging about KNIVES! will soon make legitimate people with legitimate knives/axes/etc into sudden suspects if they don't play the stupid panic game.

From Mr Borgs link earlier

Quote:
“(s)the weapon sometimes known as a “zombie knife”, “zombie killer knife” or “zombie slayer knife”, being a blade with—

(i)a cutting edge;

(ii)a serrated edge; and

(iii)images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence.”

So it might look like a zombie knife, but as long as it doesn't say "kill things" or have suggestive pictures of things on it it's not a zombie knife. Write or draw anything on it and it suddenly becomes dangerous. Conversely take a "zombie knife" and sand the writing off the blade or handle and it's safe as cotton wool.

Isn't English law wonderful? I'm waiting for them to write a law with the phrase "if it looks scary" in it. I don't think I'll have to wait long at all. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the Daily Mail for the article that will precipitate the relevant legislation to keep myself ahead of the curve.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I don't give a shit whether they were wrapped or not. What the feck does he need at least 3 machete's for in Central London?

Was one machete not enough for his planned fishing trip on Waterloo Bridge?

All those halal goat necks take an awful lot out of a blade occifer.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

I don't give a shit whether they were wrapped or not. What the feck does he need at least 3 machete's for in Central London?

All those halal goat necks take an awful lot out of a blade occifer.

For a fancy dress party. We wuz going as some scary ISIS dudes. If you look at my Facebook feed you'll see how serious we wuz in making it look all real an shit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:04 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Are you joking?

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:29 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So it makes me wonder what is the correct procedure to carry a knife home from the shop? Because you'd do a lot more damage with a good chefs knife than with a cheapo barizilian machete straight from the shop and I could buy one of those on any high street. I'd imagine carrying it in secure packaging in such a way as it can't be used would be appropriate, in the same way as you'd transport a rifle or shotgun in a gunslip.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the law was worded so as to make it nigh on impossible to get it home in a technically legal fashion. Politicians have to be seen to be doing something so ban knives, policemen have arrest quotas and crimes stats to consider, easier all round if the crime is at the discretion of the officer.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:01 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
If you were given the opportunity to conceal carry, would you?

Honestly don't know.

There are plenty of people I would trust with concealed carry, and plenty of others I would trust with owning firearms, if not concealed carry.

But not sure I am one of the people I trust.

jnw010 wrote:
Also, I think firearms in the UK used to be more accepted, certainly in the countryside.

Certainly true. It is not that long ago that fully serviceable full bore rifles were kept by local cadet forces.

All the best

Katy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

But not sure I am one of the people I trust.

I know that there's a good chance that something will set me off one day and I know I'd end up going properly postal.

Having access to firearms wouldn't be a good idea....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:

Isn't English law wonderful? I'm waiting for them to write a law with the phrase "if it looks scary" in it.

Public order Act 1986. "visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting"

Close enough?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I know that there's a good chance that something will set me off one day and I know I'd end up going properly postal.

Having access to firearms wouldn't be a good idea....

Wasn't there a BCF thread on lines to use on a first date? Laughing

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:
Let's also be clear, these ones weren't committed to their cause otherwise they'd have actually made real suicide vests not fake ones.

Why do you say that?

Because if they were real then they could easily have killed more people. If that was their goal then they missed a trick. It shows a lack of commitment.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Because if they were real then they could easily have killed more people. If that was their goal then they missed a trick. It shows a lack of commitment.

Or a lack of explosives/expertise...

mpd72 wrote:

Any you know he's Muslim how exactly?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

Or a lack of explosives/expertise...

mpd72 wrote:

Any you know he's Muslim how exactly?

Because he's black, init.

Stereotyping at its finest. Rolling Eyes

Coincidentally, nothing said about the number of shootings in Liverpool over the last 3 months, despite being more likely to be killed by terrorists. Rolling Eyes

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:09 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Coincidentally, nothing said about the number of shootings in Liverpool over the last 3 months

They're scousers. That's what they do.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
Coincidentally, nothing said about the number of shootings in Liverpool over the last 3 months

They're scousers. That's what they do.

Can we deport them down your way? Yesterday's was half an estate away from where I work. I don't fancy being caught up in some tit for tat gang shite.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:18 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we deport them down your way? Yesterday's was half an estate away from where I work. I don't fancy being caught up in some tit for tat gang shite.

No way Pedro. We've got enough shitty scumbags down here with shooters to last a lifetime.

Thanks awfully for the offer though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12