Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Out of these 2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sniff9
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Out of these 2 Reply with quote

ONLY THESE 2

What would it be...i only do about 5ish000 miles a year but like the low torque/pull of diesel that i've had for the last 7-8yrs. I've stalled the 1.4 5 times in the last few days pulling away Laughing Rolling Eyes Embarassed

06 Citroen C4 coupe 1.4 16v petrol
05 " " 1.6 hdi

Body wise are fine but both need some cash on them, 1.4 needs front discs/pads and cam belt/w/pump, 1.6 needs dpf cleaned but in the last 6 months (not by me) has had new brakes back n front, alt, drop links/arms and a few bits n pieces i forgot.

I know they're french but they're not that bad....yet

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:12 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never buy French

Sniff9
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:22 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful answer Rolling Eyes

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:29 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniff9 wrote:
Helpful answer Rolling Eyes

It is the correct answer. Why are you set on a C4? do you own them already and trying to decide which to get shot of ?(both)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:31 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither.

I wouldn't spend a penny on an 11 or 12 year old French car.

I've had two Citroens, never again.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.6 hdi can be prone to turbo failure due to the design of the sump letting some dirty oil remain after draining.

I have this engine in my C5 so I have an oil change at twice the recommended intervals.

I also let the turbo spin down for a while before switching off the ignition (although I've done that with every turbo car I've owned).

Other than that caveat it's a good engine.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the price, but my leaning would be towards the Petrol engine car as it should be cheaper to buy.
Oil-burners usually cost more to buy but pay for themselves fuel-wise if you do lots of miles.
I don't do lots of miles in any single car (too many options to choose from), so a petrol engine makes sense for me.
I do have a diesel as my 'work horse' car at the moment but it came up real cheap so not a fair comparison and future toll zones (emissions charges) & car tax will mean it'll get replaced with a petrol car eventually.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
I worked as a panel beater for 15 years,and French car build quality really is poor.I would hate to have a crash at motorway speeds in one,you would need a tin opener to get your corpse out of it.

They are almost paper thin compared to German cars.

Although oddly French cars tend to have better NCAP ratings Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably already be a corpse before the crash in most German cars though that's the difference IMO!

A cheeky French sharp steer made of tin cans, or a tuetonic Deutsch tomb made of decommissioned submarines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sniff9
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:50 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

Isn't that a lot to do with how well they crumple when hitting other people though?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

Isn't that a lot to do with how well they crumple when hitting other people though?

No, it's about how likely the driver and passengers are to survive with minimal injuries.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be getting rid of the Swift soon and I'll be replacing it with a C3 Picasso. As much as I love the Swift, it's a
rubbish dog car and if I were to exploit it's marvellous handling with the pup on board she'd be violently sick.
I managed to get her to vomit explosively on some twisties in the Sprinter back in March. She hacked up a kilo of
partially digested kibble right between the seats and all over the handbrake. Cleanup was gross. Sick

Anyway, since we are on the lookout for another dog anyway something with a large load area with seats that
go completely flat is perfect. I'm probably going with a petrol variant though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:41 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm going to be getting rid of the Swift soon and I'll be replacing it with a C3 Picasso. As much as I love the Swift, it's a
rubbish dog car

So getting rid of a rubbish dog car to just get a rubbish car with no dog variable. Dis not gud.

Heard Supra is a perfect dog car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

So getting rid of a rubbish dog car to just get a rubbish car with no dog variable. Dis not gud.

Not sure what you mean by dog variable... I have to tread carefully here, lets just say that Mrs grr would find the front
garden way too small for one of those. (it isn't but her senses of scale and spatial awareness are broken)
My dad has the C3 and several dogs and he swears by his, we will be on uk holidays for a while so we need something we can
load us and the dog (soon to be dogs) into, the other thing we might do do is get a roof rack and roof box for the Transit,
in which case we'd keep the Swift for a bit longer. It's only done 13k mikes from new.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about C3's, but a bloke I knew got his Mrs a Citroën berlingo new 10years ago. It was a second car/load lugger. He said it's been reliable too, and for most things it's the best car they have ever had. If it disintegrated tomorrow he'd get another too.

He said it's been great for the dogs, carrying camping and hiking gear all over the UK, the same with 2-3 road or mountain bikes, and 100's of runs to the tip. He reckoned it had paid for itself in about 3years, with all the use and abuse it had and coped with.

Maybe even the Supra can't beat a Berlingo?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Not sure what you mean by dog variable... I have to tread carefully here, lets just say that Mrs grr would find the front
garden way too small for one of those. (it isn't but her senses of scale and spatial awareness are broken)
My dad has the C3 and several dogs and he swears by his, we will be on uk holidays for a while so we need something we can
load us and the dog (soon to be dogs) into, the other thing we might do do is get a roof rack and roof box for the Transit,
in which case we'd keep the Swift for a bit longer. It's only done 13k mikes from new.

That dog's taking over your life, soon you'll be fitting a sidecar to the MT-09 so you can take it along.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a French car once.

Once.

stickybackbob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:19 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only french car I've owned cost me £30 and lasted 2 years. Wouldn't consider spending much more on one.

Recently hired a C3 picasso (petrol) on holiday, I'd booked a Seat Ibiza but they 'upgraded' me. I wish they hadn't. Comfortable enough but a bit van like to drive. The engine was rather pathetic - foot to the floor, going up a slight incline, couldn't keep up with an ancient pick-up that had what looked like bits of wood instead of rear shocks.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 07 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want French you need the 1.9 diesel engine

Or at least the 1.5 DCI

1.6hdi were shit in the old work vans

Another vote for berlingo or partner

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 23:24 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the diesel, never had an issue with it. Used to get about 800 miles to a tank. Lots of space. Quite a wobbly thing but did the job. Pretty dog slow though. Funny boot spoiler is right in eye line and obscures cars behind at certain distances.

Never had a problem with it. Previous owner was an engineer with a full service history though. They have a funny problem with the boot lock/latch and the glove box locking mechanism.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a nipper, i bought a C2 spanking new as my first proper car, it failed 3 weeks after getting it.

The courtesy car also tried to kill me when the power steering stopped working as i was on a roundabout Shocked

never again would i buy a shitroen

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 04:47 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother was once a reputedly marvellous mechanic for a certain frog brand.

He sacked off a 25 year career with them to lean on a handle at the front of an underground train.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2