Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Walking, camping, stuff to take etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 17:25 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Walking, camping, stuff to take etc Reply with quote

BCF,

Does anyone on here do a bit of walking and camping? I'd be interested what sort of equipment you take, tents, hammocks, bags etc.

I quite like the idea of doing walks that have an overnight or to in them but having not done much camping (other than the BCF bbq) don't really know what I'm doing.

Cheers

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd take a Motorbike and preferably a 5-star hotel.... but a 2-star hotel would suffice.. Cool

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Walking, camping, stuff to take etc Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
BCF,

Does anyone on here do a bit of walking and camping? I'd be interested what sort of equipment you take, tents, hammocks, bags etc.

I quite like the idea of doing walks that have an overnight or to in them but having not done much camping (other than the BCF bbq) don't really know what I'm doing.

Cheers

All depends on where you plan to walk, and where you plan to camp. Personally, I've never got into hammocks, as you don't know if there'll be suitable trees to fix them to half the time, and you don't want to take one and a tent - too much weight. That's the key to long distance/hill walking; keep the weight to a minimum!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hike out and camp a fair bit. Did 30 odd miles for the hell of a it a few weeks ago with a mate through the Dales. The longest I've done in the UK was around Loch Ness, 72 miles over 4 days. Mostly I do the sorts of stuff you're thinking of - short adventure, camp out, go home.

I recommend:

- Pack as light as possible. No need for any change of clothes other than socks, of which you should bring enough to ensure you have spare if your feet get utterly soaked for whatever reason. For two days I'd take 3 or 4 pairs, depending on the weather forecast.

- Buy a light tent. Mine is a Vango Banshee 200 which I've had for about 5 years and it's still as good as ever. It packs way smaller than your average tent, weighs less, but still pitches to a good size for you and your bag. (It's a 2-man tent. Don't get a 1-man tent unless you want to leave your bag outside overnight, or sleep literally hugging it.)

- Only bring as much food as you'll need, or more ideally figure out a route that goes past a village or something with a shop so you can stock up on the way. Of course if you want to do the proper 'total wilderness' thing you can forego this part, but generally it can be a massive pain carrying tons of food if you don't necessarily have to. Make sure you get it right though. Ensure you have enough for each stage of walking, as well as dinner and brek for the camping part.

- Bring more water than you think you'll need. At least 2 litres to start with. Generic cheapy bottled supermarket water is quite fine. This is a part where shops en route become more essential, unless you're in a nice area and can fill up from a river. Alternatively get some of those water purification tablets so you can use more cruddy water sources. I've never used those though.

- Since it's summer, you don't need to be hugely concerned about full waterproofs. Bring a good jacket and make sure you have good waterproof boots, but aside from that just wear some thin shorts which will dry easily if it rains.

- Use an OS map. You can buy waterproof ones which are great. Learn to read the map properly as it can be quite deceiving at first. Several times I've looked at something and thought it would either be 'not very far away' or 'not that hard to climb up' and found it to be way more than expected. The main thing to note is contour lines which tell you how steep things are if you're in a place like the Dales, Lake District or Highlands.

Generally if you're new to it, start with something pretty easy, probably make sure you incorporate a village for stocking up food/water on the way.

As far as distance and timings go, you're looking at 10 miles in 3-4 hours depending on terrain.

Also you'll be surprised just how far you can walk, generally. In the end it's just one foot in front of the other and a bag on your back. So don't worry about things going tits up while in the middle of nowhere. At worst you have to walk an hour or two to the nearest public transport. Even when you're completely knackered and hate the world, you can still plod on for quite a bit longer.

Now break a leg. No don't do that.

Also if it helps, I'm not a hardcore keeno walker either. I'd never buy the expensive gear they push at the outdoor shops, and have no interest in all those finicky survival gadgets people use. A map is all you need, with good boots and something to make sure you don't get wet. I got into walking/camping because it's free and you can do it however you like. People who buy all the top expensive survival gear for light hiking and camping in the UK are like those who buy a £2000 camera because they want to try photography.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
No need for any change of clothes other than socks, of which you should bring enough to ensure you have spare if your feet get utterly soaked for whatever reason. For two days I'd take 3 or 4 pairs, depending on the weather forecast.

Merino wool socks will go 3 or 4 days before they start to stink your kit out, and they're still warm and comfortable if they get wet.

Quote:
- Buy a light tent. Mine is a Vango Banshee 200 which I've had for about 5 years and it's still as good as ever. It packs way smaller than your average tent, weighs less, but still pitches to a good size for you and your bag. (It's a 2-man tent. Don't get a 1-man tent unless you want to leave your bag outside overnight, or sleep literally hugging it.)

Depends on how seriously you get into it. There are much lighter tents than Vango do.

Quote:
- Bring more water than you think you'll need. At least 2 litres to start with. Generic cheapy bottled supermarket water is quite fine. This is a part where shops en route become more essential, unless you're in a nice area and can fill up from a river. Alternatively get some of those water purification tablets so you can use more cruddy water sources. I've never used those though.

Get a decent water filter, and fill up safely from any stream/lake/reservoir. I use a Travel Tap. Flat packing water bottles to supplement this.

Quote:
- Since it's summer, you don't need to be hugely concerned about full waterproofs. Bring a good jacket and make sure you have good waterproof boots, but aside from that just wear some thin shorts which will dry easily if it rains.

Always have waterproofs and some warm gear if hiking in the mountains, even if you start with a hot, sunny forecast.

Quote:
People who buy all the top expensive survival gear for light hiking and camping in the UK are like those who buy a £2000 camera because they want to try photography.

Bollocks. I have a cheap digital compact out of Tescos, but got into walking seriously enough to warrant buying decent light weight kit that works. Depends on your level of commitment.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Quote:

Depends on how seriously you get into it. There are much lighter tents than Vango do.

Yeah sorry I forgot to add in my post: It's definitely possible to go ultra-keen, but isn't essential in my most humblest of opinions.

Quote:

Quote:
People who buy all the top expensive survival gear for light hiking and camping in the UK are like those who buy a £2000 camera because they want to try photography.

Bollocks. I have a cheap digital compact out of Tescos, but got into walking seriously enough to warrant buying decent light weight kit that works. Depends on your level of commitment.

Well I grew up in the sticks and camped out tons in my teens - my logic is that I never needed super duper gear in my youth so why bother now?

I climbed Ben Nevis in winter with a mate a few years ago, just had T-shirts on because 'as long as we don't stop we'll stay warm'. It worked Cool until the blizzard came in near the top and we had to turn back Laughing but not because it was cold Tut Tut Poor visibility is what stumped us.

I've always preferred the more 'rough around the edges' way, not sure why. The only slightly serious item I have is my tent because I was sick of having no extra space in my bag.

I guess if I decided to do proper mega treks in all weathers all year round, I'd need proper kit. I'm not sure if that's what this thread is asking about though.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Vango tent is about as small and compact as it gets Joe.

You can cut down the erection time....steady.... by getting the fly connected up to the outer in advance (Arry does this on his).

I like my popup because lazy.. But its shite for hiking, camping, hiking.
Only good for on bike really.

Headtorch - A must!
Microfibre towel, damn small, works well.
Waterproofs in little bags for easy access.
Beany hat for your follically challenged head on cold nights and to cover the eyes on brutally light early mornings.
Earplugs, both for snorers and FUCKING BIRDS!
Hipflask...

....not really sure I know what I'm talking about Laughing

Chickenstrip is your man on this Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I climbed Ben Nevis in winter with a mate a few years ago, just had T-shirts on because 'as long as we don't stop we'll stay warm'. It worked Cool until the blizzard came in near the top and we had to turn back Laughing but not because it was cold Tut Tut Poor visibility is what stumped us.

Pure dumb luck. Even properly trained mountaineers/climbers get caught out on the Ben, Cairngorms etc once in a while, as do trained military personnel - seen it all too often in the news. But you crack on mate Wink

A typical single day on the Lake District fells, I will carry water filter and one 1l foldable bottle, or pure orange juice drink (orange replaces salts lost through sweating, potassium etc), windproof top, waterproof pull-on top, mid-weight fleece pullover, energy bars or whatever you like that will give you that bit of a boost, packed lunch if it's going to be a long day, camera (as said, just a compact digi, nothing bulky). Trousers and t-shirt will be light weight, quick dry. Relevant map and compass. My prize item is the windproof top. Mine is a Montane; paper thin, Pertex, packs down to nothing, weighs nothing. Very effective, and it gets used under my bike jacket at times too. If there is one piece of tech kit I'd highly recommend, it's this. In cold/wet weather, I'll add a Rab Generator Primaloft jacket and possibly waterproof overtrousers, although I haven't had to resort to those too often thankfully - can't stand the things.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 08 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, you've seen Sid's and my set up which may be a little too much for what you're planning, especially the inflatable 5' palm tree and three seater sofa.

However one item I can heartily recommend, is a battery powered candelabra. Im sure you'd agree that after you've caught, killed, skinned, gutted and cooked your dinner, nothing spells class like an LED candelabra shining brightly as you eat. After all, you're not an animal.

Oh yes, and don't forget the freshly laundered Egyptian cotton napkins.

HTH Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:34 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A queshqua ultralite tent weighs less than a 2-man hilliberg that costs five times as much and is bigger than a vango banshee inside (and has 2 doors). Just saying.

If you want seriously light cooking, look into spirit stoves made from coke cans (penny stove is my favourite) or just light fires.

I don't often hammock on account of midges.

Boxed wine minus the box FTW. Blow up the bag inside as a pillow when finished. Lidl are doing microwave curries. For microwave pouch, read boil in the bag.

Snugpak do some surprisingly light, compact sleepingbags.

Do not skimp on your roll mat. Go therm-a-rest or sleep cold.

If you're solo backpacking, lay all the stuff you think you want out, then get rid of half of it. Three of any item of clothing is enough for a LONG term (months) expedition. Wearing, dirty, clean.

Chose clothing that is still warm while wet. that means fleece and wool. Merino is gods gift to lighweight campers. Still feels dry when it's absorbed 30% of its weight in water, warm even when soaked through. Dries quickly and doesn't stink even if not washed for weeks.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pretty hanky and access to a tree?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Hobos2.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:16 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Chose clothing that is still warm while wet. that means fleece and wool.

And Primaloft.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:33 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're out for more than a few days, you need to be able to sleep.

So I'd echo the earplugs, add an eye mask, and I would swap just about any amount of other trash for a camp bed and a self-inflating mattress.

7 pounds (weight) seems a lot for the bed, but if you spend the night shivering and awake, you'll feel like you're carrying more than that the next day anyway.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reasonable summer weather and a remote area, sod the tent and get a breathable bivvy bag. A fraction of the weight, size and cost. And there's nothing quite like literally sleeping under the stars.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Pure dumb luck. Even properly trained mountaineers/climbers get caught out on the Ben, Cairngorms etc once in a while, as do trained military personnel - seen it all too often in the news. But you crack on mate Wink

Ha, I knew you'd say that.

Ben Nevis is the easiest route on the planet with a well marked path all the way up, and above the snow line we followed the millions of foot prints, easily done even when the clouds came in and visibility was reduced to literally half a metre. And yes we were still wearing T-shirts. For more general adventures, I wouldn't go off the beaten track in shit weather because I know it takes more than 'dumb luck' in those places.

You'll hate this - another Ben Nevis story - I did a Scotland road trip with my Brazilian mate this January. His one aim was to go up Ben Nevis. We both had rubbish jackets, not for hiking, and it was pissing it down. So we used extra large bin bags as waterproofs. Didn't die Cool . Didn't get to the top though, again because of poor visibility Thumbs Down

What I don't understand is this weird general assumption that bad weather means a person is guaranteed to die if they don't have the correct snazzy gear from the shop. Common sense still exists when the sun stops shining. Binbag jackets were probably my greatest idea of 2017 so far. Staying bone dry in a 20p bit of plastic feels like winning to me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

What I don't understand is this weird general assumption that bad weather means a person is guaranteed to die if they don't have the correct snazzy gear from the shop.

Not guaranteed to die, or even particularly suffer. It's a case of being ready for the worst, which you have not experienced. As said, crack on mate Thumbs Up

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:21 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good boots and good socks!

I used to work in Go Outdoors and hard-sell people overpriced tat they didnt need Razz But one thing I was always honest about was good footwear for hiking! Your boots are only as good as the socks you put in them! You can have fancy £400 Scarpa boots and theyll still pinch your feet and ache if you wear crap Tesco value socks with them. I'm a big, big fan of Bridgedale socks. I wont bore you with all the technical details, just that they work bloody well.

A decent multitool is handy too, never know when youll wish you had a pair of pliers, or a knife or scissors etc.

Self inflating mats are a good, very lightweight, alternative to a camp bed.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mammut-softskin-mat-cft-large-d2414066

Mammut is the gucci-ist of gucci, you can get cheaper brands thats just a vague idea of what to look at. They provide infinitely more comfort and warmth than a poxy foam roll mat, and weigh very little.

If youre wanting to cook stuff and dont want the hassle/faff/forest fires of making a camp fire, you can get tiny lightweight little stoves like this that just screw onto the top of a gas bottle, weigh next to nothing and take up no space.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 10 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Joe for busting in....This is just a FYI regarding boots.

(So far) These are the best boots I've had in decades, I do about 50-75 miles per week through the year.
They're both out of the box comfy, the Mammuts keep my feet dry and I cross streams n brooks n bogs. Although they have the Vibram sole (which I normally don't like) these ones are good on wet rocks and cobbles.
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/7D8FA77D-4517-4E52-A487-39A4A087EECF_zpsoefkkuss.jpg

The Haglöf boots I use when it's been dry. Brilliant sole and a lot lighter than the clog-hopper Mammuts. Take ages to dry out but so far no wet toes.
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/D9FCB6F2-F15E-44D9-B740-5AB2BF3F8AD7_zps1w0ecydf.jpg

Always ask for good quality wool socks for Christmas. They're stupidly expensive.

Oh, and if it gets to dinnertime and you haven't had a pee...drink more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to do a lot of this before kids. You need a tent, sleeping bag, wet-wipes and a toothbrush/paste. Pack one pair of socks/pants and a T Shirt per day plus a towel. Nothing else matters....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:32 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Nothing else matters....

You're OK with sleeping directly on the ground?

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 10:15 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I don't think anyone's mentioned yet is boiling water the night before for your drinking water the next day.

You'll need a stove. Trangia is my favourite for hiking. You can get fancy multi-fuel burners for them now, but I always used to use the meths burner and it was fine.

Back in "my day" water purification tablets were really expensive and made the water taste disgusting. We just got into the habit of boiling up some water from a stream the night before (find a bit of stream that's running like a tap ideally), letting it cool and filling our water bottles up with it. It tastes much better than purified water and doesn't cost anything!

For breakfast we had resealable bags of museli with a few spoons of powdered milk in. Chuck that in your pan, add a bit of water and you've got museli and milk.

You don't need to go to cotswold outdoor and spend a fortune on meals either, there are plenty of cheap dried meals in supermarkets that are easy to boil up.

As an aside, if you ever need water in an emergency then this guidance is useful:
https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 10:30 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, exactly the kind of decent info I was after Thumbs Up

The idea I have in my head is to get on the train somewhere and walk back over a couple of days. I was thinking of going with the hammock option rather than a tent for a couple of reasons: they are light and pack small. I live in the SE and all of the routes I've walked are in wooded areas and there would be ample areas to put it up.

I suppose I'll need to get decent boots and socks as a minimum.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip for getting a boot that fits...Wearing your boot socks remove insole (these modern boots have a removable insole) place heel at back of insole and there should be an index finger's width left at the toes.

Testdrive them by walking up and down a steep slope (good shops will have a mini-ramp) you'll know instantly if they're too tight/loose.
Feet expand during the day so afternoon boot shopping is preferred.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:22 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second tip for getting a boot that fits.

Book an appointment at altberg. Buy the boots they recommend.

If you're hammocking, still take your thermal mat, nobody likes a cold arse. Consider putting it INSIDE your sleeping bag in a liner or between the liner and the sleeping bag.

I actually find that by the time I've taken hammock, tarp, ropes, bungees, carbiners, bug net and pegs, I may as well have taken a lightweight tent.

Another thing to consider is a "swag" which is basically a posh bivvy bag/mat/sleeping bag combination.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:42 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altberg are top of my list to try for boots - I have a pair already for work and they're excellent.

I've never had a decent night's sleep in a tent, hammocks seem like a good idea but without actually having a go in one it's all just supposition. I've seemed to have entered a camping/walking rabbit hole - there is so much information out there it's impossible to work out what the right path to take without actually doing it and finding out what works.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3