Walking, camping, stuff to take etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:03 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and...

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/uploads/products/8c0fcd3e-45b7-4270-9f9d-21a54a647289/diocalm-capsules.jpg?maxwidth=280

I shit you not.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I've seemed to have entered a camping/walking rabbit hole - there is so much information out there it's impossible to work out what the right path to take without actually doing it and finding out what works.

That's pretty much it. You take stuff then next time out leave behind what didn't work/wasn't used and take what you missed. Your kit eventually evolves. Same with motorcycle camping. I pretty much leave my panniers packed and take odd bits in and out.

That said, like many, I have accumulated a truly disgraceful quantity of camping parafinalea. As I say though, If I'm going truly lightweight (as in backpacking) say it was this weekend for 2 nights. I'd take:

Queshqua ultralite Tent (or army surplus silnyon tarp and bivvy bag if I was being very light).
Backpacking therm-a-rest
Sungpak jungle bag and liner (1 season, square toe).
2-cup stainless teapot liberated from a motorway services.
Homemade penny stove, 3 pegs for pot stand and small bottle of meths (in teapot).
pyrex mug (good for tea and wine)
spork
swiss army knife
cliplock box
parang
Brew kit in waterproof container with lighter and fire steel.
bladder pack (in rucksack).
Insect repellant.
Head net.
1st aid kit.
change of walking socks and "camp" socks.
change of undies
dry t-shirt
dry fleece
dry trousers.
watrproofs.
hat.
bogroll.

Food, also go lightweight, consider what you need to carry out too in terms of rubbish. Pouches are good, as is dehydrated. So examples of a hot meal:

Cous-cous sachet with pouched tuna steak in sauce.

Mexican rice microwave pouch (boil in bag). Microwave pouch curry/chilli.

Goblin steamed pudding and smash.

Pasta and pesto with smoked sausage.

Pouches of peaches (like tinned peaches) and instant custard.

Steamed puddings.

I usually take snacks for lunch, like fruit, dried fruit, nuts, cereal bars, cured meat, pouches of olives. Oh, and hardboiled eggs prepared the night before.

Breakfast porridge or breakfast biscuits (if you make them before you go, Afrikanner style rusks are great).

I cook on a fire if possible, on the meths burner if necessary. Rehydrate stuff in the cliplock box, doubles as a bowl.

If I were doing a lot of one-nighter ultralite stuff, an alpkit 'Brukit' system would probably appear in the post very soon.

All the above notwithstanding. I'm off for a 4-day wilderness expedition with the wife in our canoe on Monday. I have an inordinately large amount of gear (2x 50l barrels, a 70l portage pack, and 2x50l dry bags plus the canoeing kit). Even just the food takes up a huge amount of space. Luckily the boat loading maxes out at 400kg so we should be ok but I'm not looking forward to the 1.5km portage on the way out (should be better on the return). Proper "kitchen sink" camping though, seats, cast iron pots and everything.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I have a jungle hammock and have found it very comfortable. I seem to remember it being a bit less when I bought it, but then that was probably 10 years ago, and the exchange rate was far better as well.
If I remember correctly the supplier might have packaged it as a gift so
there wasn't any import tax either.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried two bivvy bags. The first one turned out not to be at all waterproof; woke up getting soaked in the rain, fumbled for the head torch, put the tent outer up, crashed out again. Yes, tents where the outer goes up first can be very handy Wink (current tent has the inner fitted when packed, so all goes up at once).

The bivvy bag I have now is a Rab one, of eVent fabric, which is supposed to be even more breathable than Pertex/Goretex etc, and waterproof (not sure if that's the eVent itself or another layer). Tried it once, found it uncomfortably clammy (up by Sprinkling Tarn, Lake District), never used it since. But you may take to them. They can make a good weight saving if you like them. As stinkwheel says, it's largely a matter of trying things, and seeing what works for you.

Can't do it any more since hurting my back, as I can't get along with thermarests and the like now Sad I have a loft full of camping kit, don't know what I'll do with it. I can't bring myself to sell it for some reason.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:39 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and a top tip.

Fold your self inflating thermal mat in half or thirds, squash the air out of it, close the valve and slide it down into your rucksack so it's covering the back of it with the valve at the top. Pack the rucksack, then inflate the mat. Stops stuff bouncing about and gives you extra padding/comfort.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:14 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: ham hocks Reply with quote

Hammocks are the best outdoors sleep I've ever had, but only if you're guaranteed to be warm and dry enough. It can be a bit of a learned art to be able to get in a mummy sleeping bag and then get into a hammock, but if you can master that then most summer nights are fine under a tarp in a hammock if you can cover your face with something to keep out the creepy crawlies.

But that implies you'd be where there's something to tie your tarps and hammocks to, which usually implies trees and a bit of natural wind break and cover. If you're going to be in bleak windswept landscapes you'll really need a tent.

Anything that sheds rain and blocks the wind is better than nothing. I've got an old gortex army bivvy bag that's been very useful. It packs down to a very small size, much smaller than a sleeping bag. It's sort of like a really big sleeping bag shape without any padding but it keeps you dry no matter what and really retains body heat. It's like having a tiny little tent you can practically carry in your pocket.

A gortex bivvy bag with a hammock and a tarp in the rain you'd at least be off the cold wet ground but like I said that implies you'd be somewhere you can tie hammocks and tarps to something. A bivvy bag on the cold hard stony ground out on the Yorkshire Dales might be dry but it'll wick your heat away without a really good mat or something under or inside it.

Basically I've found that keeping dry is highly recommended but keeping your body heat is essential.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:49 - 11 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hammock and a bivvy bag, hammocks a DD one, and my bivvy bag is an old Mountain Range one, dont think they make them anymore, it zips all the way up which i like, all goretex and stuff, its pretty good.

As much as i like the hammock i never seem to be able to get mega comfy in it, i quite like to sleep on my front and you cant really do it in a hammock, so i lean towards the bivvy. Although that said to get a really good nights sleep just make sure you have a drink before you go to bed haha

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young I never bothered with a mat. I was careful where I pitched and could sleep on a washing line after a few pints. If you do need a sleeping mat, those self-inflatable ones are good as previous posters have said. Just bear in mind that getting one back into the bag can be like an elephant putting on a durex...

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 15:19 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems our American cousins are well into their hammock camping - they have so much stuff available out there. I've read endless amounts about hammocks, suspension systems etc. Unfortunately, we have a much more limited choice over this side of the pond.

I plan to start getting myself kitted out this year with the aim of doing some short camping trips and hopefully working up to a multi-day long distance walk at some point.

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally take a tent that's made out of a hotel.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:20 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missus swears by bringing a 'tick removal tool' you can't just pull them out or there heads snap off and you can get an infection. The special tool helps you remove them in a way that keeps the tick in tack.

Boots are important obviously get fitted properly. It turns out I'm 2 sizes smaller than I thought but I have really wide feet. A wide boot in the correct size is MUCH better for me. I just assumed I knew my shoe size. Laughing

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
If you do need a sleeping mat, those self-inflatable ones are good as previous posters have said. Just bear in mind that getting one back into the bag can be like an elephant putting on a durex...

Never had a problem with packing a sleeping mat.
Never put a prophylactic on an elephant, but I guess it's pretty easy then?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 14:49 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about rucksacks? What size, for say a five day trip, carrying camping equipment etc? What about army surplus stuff?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:57 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go light. Pack your gear up then halve it. I can get everything i need minus a little tent in a 20ltre pack. Check out Alpkit gear instead of wasting cash on big brand crap.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:12 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a bump, I've sorted myself out with a hammock and all the related gubbins.

I need a rucksack, is 65 litres too big? Also, are there any brands to avoid? I'm wary of brands like Karrimor which when I was young made good stuff but now seem to churn out shite for SportsDirect.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 19 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
A bit of a bump, I've sorted myself out with a hammock and all the related gubbins.

I need a rucksack, is 65 litres too big? Also, are there any brands to avoid? I'm wary of brands like Karrimor which when I was young made good stuff but now seem to churn out shite for SportsDirect.

65ltrs! Blimey what are you up to? Taking body parts to the woods to Bury?

Last edited by Ribenapigeon on 11:02 - 20 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, would avoid Karrimor. My "waterproof" boots is used for a 13 mile hike at the weekend leaked in the long wet grass within half an hour of walking.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

No way, the more you get out the lighter you travel. Just have plenty of bog roll and wet-wipes.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:12 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

Nothing is too big when camping, if you have the stamina. If you are serious about long trips a 65 litres rucksack is a good investment. Price wise it is not going to make much of a difference from a 45 litre rucksack expandable to 60 litre. Mind you, 5 years down the line, you as an experienced walker will fit all your stuff in a fanny pack.

Karrimor is cheap and cheerful, like most brands nowadays, I dislike rucksack brands that offer a raincover instead of proper waterproof capabilities but they offer better rain protection once you put them up.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 07:25 - 21 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for one of these in the end

https://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod14/dw/image/v2/AARQ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-PRODUCT-BERGHAUS/default/dwabbca37a/images/original/4-21585C33-b.jpg?sh=827

Got it on eBay for half the price in the local shops. It's being delivered by myHermes though so who know's when it will be delivered.

My other stuff has shipped from the US so should be here in a week or so.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 17:11 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test run today

https://i.imgur.com/2fsXxZV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iHjKMog.jpg

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:02 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice set up, did it take long to get everything in place?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 05:27 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupo wrote:
Very nice set up, did it take long to get everything in place?

It took about 15 mins to set up but I think that could easily be halved with a bit of experience. It was extremely comfortable though, although I didn't try out my sleeping bag inside or attach the underquilt which is like a sleeping bag which attaches to the outside of the hammock.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many attempts did it take to get in the hammock?

always quite fancied sleeping out like that, but have a feeling i would wake up facedown in the mud

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 12:47 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
how many attempts did it take to get in the hammock?

always quite fancied sleeping out like that, but have a feeling i would wake up facedown in the mud

No problem whatsoever. These ‘gathered end’ hammocks are very stable, I believe it’s the ‘bridge’ hammocks that tip you out in the middle of the night.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3