BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Greenlaning bike for £1500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With helmets, I bought a Wulfsport Prima when I was sixteen but I didn't like the visor. I ended up running with goggles in the end. The visor tended to fog up quick offroad, meaning you needed to lift it and on road it seemed to put a weird distortion down the middle and threw my depth perception off at higher speeds.

I would either go for a more expensive ADV lid or a normal MX hat with goggles. Don't go in the middle. My personal experience. I also find an MX helmet gives a wider field of view, I don't know if it does, but it feels that way, probably due to the longer chin guard changing your perception. Try stuff on. Have a go. It isn't that different. I remember panicking when I decided to start getting road bike gear after years of off road, I needed to test loads of things in shops, then get it on ebay for half the price. Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:33 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your points fladdem. The wulfsport boots are definitely the budget option. I've been reading up and opinion is divided with some suggesting trials boots are better for laning. As you say it's horses for courses. A motorcross helmet sounds like the way forward then. Cheaper too so Thumbs Up .

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:03 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the right sizes, but I won't be at my stuff for 2 1/2 weeks and you probably might as well go new.

I do have a paid of 45 Diadora trials boots that could be for sale Smile.

Ideally, I'd suggest (regardless of buying from me), trying stuff on in shops. When I got off road gear I went to an off road bike show and spent most of the day trying on all the options.

I wouldn't worry too much about the type of boots - I've used various and not found it makes that much of a difference.

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:01 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to visit a shop for some gear this weekend and not bothered buying anything online just yet. If I still haven't sorted it in a few weeks then I'll PM you if that's okay.

Reading up on kit there's alot of choice and alot of divided opinion on what to wear but helmet, body armour and boots is all I will buy for now as I want to be safe, but don't want to invest too much before I've even ridden off road.
In terms of training for off road riding and learning about it, I see there are plenty of guided days and courses run but all cost a fair bit. Is there a good book anyone can recommend to learn the real basics?? The simple things like position and how to pick the bike up off the floor etc. There is only so much you can learn from youtube videos. Also I imagine the local TRF group will be invaluable for advice so I'll join them soon. Just don't want to go out on my first ride with them and be completely clueless.

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked the bike up earlier and stopped by an industrial estate to get used to her. Was great fun and I was surprised at how enjoyable it was to ride. Smooth power and nicer than the 2stroke excs I have ridden. Nowhere near as raspy, and coming from a road bike it felt very light and nimble. I think the tire pressures were very low which aided but I was surprised at how easy very slow riding was. I'm pleased but for now it's tucked away in the garage and will make a return when I've put the old tatty plastics on, and given it an oil filter change.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful when you go playing, I always keep an eye out for people following me home when I'm out on my off roaders, easy targets for thieves.

Best practice, look at Youtube videos then get on the bike. I wouldn't worry about training days, if you k now how to ride, you'll be fine. Just don't go silly fast on it immediately. You'll always struggle a bit anyway after road bikes, you'll have the fear built in now when stuff gets a bit slidey after riding on nice predictable grippy tarmac. Laughing

Just remember smooth is good and you won't go wrong really. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
you'll have the fear built in now when stuff gets a bit slidey after riding on nice predictable grippy tarmac. ::

and after a few days/weeks/months you'll be sliding around all over the place without a care giving it beans Thumbs Up

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I'd do with that is make sure it has a clutch slave cylinder guard Thumbs Up Number one thing that gets wrecked on them due to the poor design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
First thing I'd do with that is make sure it has a clutch slave cylinder guard Thumbs Up Number one thing that gets wrecked on them due to the poor design.

I fitted a clutch slave guard and it has damage to the guard,so well worth the small amount that it costs.It is also a good idea to fit a bash plate

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/Picture213.jpg

If you go on to www.ktmforum.co.uk there is a wealth of information and help,as well as parts for sale.

I changed most of the plastics on my 2004 450 as I did not like so much orange.There are many places to still buy new pattern plastics and I kept the brand new stuff and put it in the loft for when/if I should ever choose to sell the bike.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My%20bikes/20170611_115904_zpsbkir3xgr.jpg

As for getting out and having fun,Pigeon came out with us last Sunday and did well to have fun,despite a few offs.Your local TRF group may well take out newbies on a local easy run,like we do in Kent.This is usually a ride around the lanes of Biggin Hill,which are relatively easy going.If the newbie then finds that those lanes are a bit too sedate,then we move on to the more adventurous ones around the Brands Hatch area.

All good clean fun Very Happy

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Dirt%20bikes/MitchDorkingAbout.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TRF groups will allow you on 2 or 3 runs with them before they ask you to sign up so you can give it a go

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
Most TRF groups will allow you on 2 or 3 runs with them before they ask you to sign up so you can give it a go

and if I'm leading the run, I don't care how many times Thumbs Up

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:28 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice. I will invest in a slave cylinder guard. For now I have got a cheap helmet, and armoure, and I bought some o'neal rider boots. I tried on some tech 3s but the size of them was either way too large or uncomfortably small whereas the o'neals which I am less keen on we're the better fit. As expected they are very stiff but I'm sure a few wet rides and they'll be softening up. Plenty of protection and hopefully they will be fine for a beginner. For the price the reviews were pretty good. My first ride will probably be to go to a greenlane about 4km long which I know fairly well and jut go back and forth several times over it getting used to the bike. Like I say, cheers for all the advice it's been great.

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:50 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out my bike has a clutch slave guard and bash guard fitted already so I lucked in there.

Took her out for my first greenlane on two wheels yesterday and what a day! I was nervous as hell, not only for riding but because of the unfamiliarity with the kit and the bike. It was all a bit alien. Loaded the bike in the van and drove to about 500mtrs from a 4km greenlane I've done dozens of times in 4x4. Unloading the bike was a doddle and I kitted up. In the end I wore an old pair of leather trousers I had (without the knee sliders haha) which were fine if a little bit restrictive. On top I just had my armour and a tshirt. The new boots and helmet worked a treat. I strapped a bumbag to the rear finder with some tools and carried with me some puncture repair spray, chain lube and waterproofs. Then off I went. Initially I was petrified and the steep grave ascent to the first gate was unnerving but easy. Through the gate and it became large loose rocks, which I found out was very difficult to ride. The back wheel seemed to just spin rocks away and my balance was tested. My slow riding is normally pretty good which came in handy heading up hill without caning it. The lane levelled out and was a mix of hard packed gravel, dirt, and deep ruts which were easy and so much fun to ride. The last km was loose rock and I found downhill a lot more difficult than up. I Sussed out that when going up you can sometimes just cane it and hold on and it will find its own path, however coming down was a lot more difficult and I found myself doing any loose rock downhill at about 2 mph.

Anyway I had a few goes up and down the lane and by the end I was stood up most of the flat and uphill bits, much more confident, and was consciously reminding myself of the basics like elbows up etc. I would say my riding at this stage is somewhere between abysmal and awful, but I didn't fall off and at my quickest was about 15mph (most of the time about 5mph I would guess). Really really good fun though so glad I finally got a bike and I'm going to try and get out again in the evenings this week. Thanks for all the advice and thought I'd share a few pics of the first outing.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want good flexible boots, look at sidi crossfire 3 srs. I have.....they are amazing....but at over 400 quid...no. There is no quick fix, bike time is everything. I fell over twice on my first day out this year and managed not to get hurt (again!).
Enjoy.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 27 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done ReadySalted, glad you enjoyed it Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2