ER6-F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:34 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: ER6-F Reply with quote

Evening ladies and gents

I passed my mod 2 on friday and have been shortlisting bikes for my budget for the last few weeks and i've settled on either a CBF600 or an ER6F.

I've found an ER6F fairly local to me on the old fleebay and just wanted to check with BCFers if they had anything on this bike theyd recommend looking at? Any advice they can give when looking at a new, used bike?

It's an 06 with 25k on the clock, pretty standard bar sports bars and a tinted shield.

I've read some good reviews on them regarding starter bikes and was looking hopeful at getting this one if its the right one.

Any suggestions welcome! Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early ones suffered from fracturing exhausts but I would expect that to have been sorted on a bike that age.

Sports bars? The original riding position is quite a nice relatively upright position. Does it come with the original bars incase you find the position uncomfortable?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:03 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=er6+frame+crack

If you're intending to ride into London on it, be aware that the ULEZ mugging will soon apply to bikes made before July 2007. Technically a 2006 ER6 is already Euro3 compliant, but you'd have to argue the toss with TfL.

It's a real consideration around That London and will reduce the value. And it's an 11 year old budget bike, so I'd be pinching every penny on it.

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:58 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The early ones suffered from fracturing exhausts but I would expect that to have been sorted on a bike that age.

Sports bars? The original riding position is quite a nice relatively upright position. Does it come with the original bars incase you find the position uncomfortable?

Thanks for the reply Bear.

It has had an aftermarket can put on but then removed for the original around a year ago as it was too loud.

And yep it had flat handlebars but the original bars are included in the sale which, providing its not a hugely difficult job, i think ill be going to replace with the standard ones

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:00 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=er6+frame+crack

If you're intending to ride into London on it, be aware that the ULEZ mugging will soon apply to bikes made before July 2007. Technically a 2006 ER6 is already Euro3 compliant, but you'd have to argue the toss with TfL.

It's a real consideration around That London and will reduce the value. And it's an 11 year old budget bike, so I'd be pinching every penny on it.

Thanks for the heads up, i am on the outskirts of london but wont be riding into london at all. Itll be to get me up north to be honest. But well worth mentioning due to resale value!

Ive managed to get it down a bit from its list price but in comparison to other similar bikes for sale its £3/400 cheaper already. So resale SHOULD be covered.

All hpi clear etc etc, very clean looking bike

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 good friends have had the 06 'f' model. One got rid for a cbr600f and realised how much more comfortable er6f was! Other is using his daily and loves it. Only rode a cbf 600 for about 20 miles, preferred nakedness of hornet 600.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what's already been mentioned (exhaust headers cracking, early models only and cracking frames, again fixed on later models but an 06 might be affected) -

Check the swingarm. They can rot a bit - but from the inside out. When water gets in the drain holes aren't as effective as they could be. Check around the drain holes for signs of rust. There will probably be some but as long as it's not structural you should be ok.

Coil caps let water in and the coil sticks can corrode. Makes them a bugger to remove. I took mine out early on and greased them which should prevent that.

Brake calipers can gunk up during winter and the crud gets behind the dust seals leading to them dragging on the piston which gives excessive lever travel. Easily fixed and not isolated to the ER6 as the same calipers are used on many bikes.

Sprocket carrier bearings are not the sealed type so they can degrade. Again an easy fix if affected.

At that milage it's due it's first valve check. Not a hard job if you have a Haynes manual and the required tools. Probably won't require adjustment anyway.

That covers all the main issues really. They're pretty reliable for the most part. Finish isn't the best on some parts but with regular cleaning and ACF50 application they survive pretty well. Mine is a 2010 which I got for commuting purposes. I'm pretty happy with it, it's a fun bike to throw around back roads too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:02 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a link to the advert? I'm having trouble finding it. Nobody's going to gazump you (leave it, Paddy) but we might be able to spot anything hooky about the bike.

Exile71
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:09 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the ER6 was a great bike but as i have rather large feet, the rear brake annoyed me, it seemed to be slightly higher than the foot rest so had to either hold the front of your foot up or move when you wanted to brake.

I got the XJ6-F in the end, was too boring though and swapped it for my old GSR within a few months. ER6 was more fun though and if you like riding it should make a good bike for you.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:07 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of folk call the ER6 boring but I really don't find that at all, despite owning other bikes and regularly riding others. It really depends on your use of it. I think of all the popular 650 bikes the ER6 has the most interesting engine. The SV650 I found bland in comparison. The biggest issue I have with the ER6, apart from pillion space, is the suspension. It's decidedly budget. Works fine at normal speeds but when you want to get a whack on it's not the most stable and can be a bit tricky when it gets bumpy. I still find it entertaining though and manage ti hussle it along nicely - I rarely get left behind, only on particularly lumpy roads or when really going for it but I suspect a big factor there is comparitive skill level too (I'm not as good!).

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:31 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
A lot of folk call the ER6 boring but I really don't find that at all, despite owning other bikes and regularly riding others. It really depends on your use of it. I think of all the popular 650 bikes the ER6 has the most interesting engine. The SV650 I found bland in comparison.

I used one when training and if anything I found the throttle a bit "snatchy" in lower gears. But I know a lot of people like that, power bands and so forth. It's a good mix of sensible bike and hooligan machine (not that you would of course Shifty )

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
It's a good mix of sensible bike and hooligan machine
That's a bit of a stretch, I had one for a couple of years and fair play thought it had just enough puff to not
be boring but I never felt like it might kill me. Then I bought an actual hooligan machine that gives me a little
scare every time I get on the ruddy thing. Night and day difference between the two bikes.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a little hooliganish in that it's very agile and easy to chuck around if you want to ride like a loon through traffic but it's certainly no KTM 990. It won't power wheelie and rarely breaks traction but pushed hard on a bumpy road it's certainly entertaining as it bucks about the place. The fun on an ER6 is found in keeping it moving quickly and chucking it about. Admittedly I started getting a little bored of it after I'd had it a year or so but then as my skills and confidence improved and I pushed it harder I discovered the fun in it again and decided I hadn't outgrown it afterall.

What you find fun is really personal. It really depends what you're looking for and what type of power delivery appeals to you. Commuting adds other factors too. I think it feels peppier and more entertaining in daily riding (especially about town, due to it's nimbleness and low end torque) than a lot of faster bikes. I had a go of a 2000 GSXR 750 the other day and I was actually disappointed. I've always fancied one but I felt it had nothing below about 8k and the steering felt heavy at normal road speeds. Nice top end rush though which the ER6 totally lacks and cornering at speed is much more stable. The 750 was better the faster you went but I found I was only enjoying it when I was hustling along so for me I think I prefer the ER6 for my daily daily riding. GSXR is no doubt more fun for scratching and track days though. Perhaps it's just because I'm not used to the sports riding position an the IL4 delivery so I might have been missing the point. I'll need to have a longer go at some point.

Outside of the straight line rush I think I have more fun trying to ride quickly on a lightweight, lesser powered and less competent machine, the more powerful and competent the machine the harder you have to push to find that fun ragged bit towards the edge of it's envelope - I don't have the skill to survive doing that for long on something like an S1000RR. I even find my CG125 entertaining riding it flat out with it bucking about on it's terrible suspension.

The ER6 just doesn't compare to the grunt of a big twin like a Tuono though. That is something else entirely and is rather entertaining. First time I cracked open one of those it had me laughing out loud for ages. A proper hooligan machine. I need myself a big twin at some point. It's power delivery is brutal enough that you only need to crack the throttle a bit coming out of a bend to find the scary. I imagine a supermoto would work well for me too, desperate to try one. Still keeping the ER6 for every day use though.

Last edited by kgm on 15:14 - 13 Jun 2017; edited 3 times in total

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:30 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both fair points.

I've only ever ridden parallel twins, with the ER6 being the largest capacity bike. So by my standards it was fairly hooliganish, but I can well believe to those more at home on bigger machines it can seem fairly tame.

I think it is probably hooliganish enough for the OP, having just passed their Mod 2.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:57 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not regularly riding your bike on the limiter and scraping the pegs then you've not outgrown it.

Ninja 250: you're meant to use the limiter as a ghetto quick shifter, right?
Enfield: sometimes bounce the valves and have scraped the pegs.
Nazi Tractor: I will very occasionally hit the limiter during an overtake in a straight line.

I'd be fine with an ER6, I'd run out of road or bottle more often than it would run out of revs.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Enfield: sometimes bounce the valves and have scraped the pegs.

Not hard though, is it Laughing

A few weeks back when Pigeon and I were up in Norfolk we were tanking along in one direction when a guy on an old classic came barreling along from the other, and entered the right hand bend I'd just gone round to the left faster than I'd want to push the KTM - proper lean on Shocked Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:44 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys and assure me ive read them all!

I think any bike for my first bike will keep me entertained while im learning and potentially the ER6F will keep me entertained a little longer but i think I always had the intention of going bigger 👀👀👀

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

(accidental duplicate post, please ignore - can't delete)

Last edited by Marclev on 09:43 - 20 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
A lot of folk call the ER6 boring but I really don't find that at all, despite owning other bikes and regularly riding others. It really depends on your use of it. I think of all the popular 650 bikes the ER6 has the most interesting engine. The SV650 I found bland in comparison. The biggest issue I have with the ER6, apart from pillion space, is the suspension. It's decidedly budget. Works fine at normal speeds but when you want to get a whack on it's not the most stable and can be a bit tricky when it gets bumpy. I still find it entertaining though and manage ti hussle it along nicely - I rarely get left behind, only on particularly lumpy roads or when really going for it but I suspect a big factor there is comparitive skill level too (I'm not as good!).

Having now gone through a few bikes since passing my test a few years ago, I'd query what exactly people mean when they say boring. All I can figure out is "less likely to kill you if you if you go over a pot hole".

This is for road use, I can appreciate that on the track different factors apply, but really how many people actually use their motorcycles for anything other than the road?

My theory now is that anybody calling a given bike boring is probably riding something outrageously sluggish and/or heavy and/or mechanically ropey and is basically jealous.

And the idea of a "starter bike" seems to be designed by dealerships to make sure someone comes back and buys another bike, as opposed to any real definition of the term (most 600cc "starter bikes" will leave a Porsche standing).

Cynical? Yeah, and not without good reason I feel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 283 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1