Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ball bag crash, + UPDATE!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Ball bag crash, + UPDATE! Reply with quote

So, as found here, I had a crash, that nearly made me lose half my man hood. But putting that nonsense to one side. I have a few questions that would be amazing to get some help on.

Details:
-As shown in that post, the Old man was 100% to blame, as admitted by himself, to me, the witnesses and again, to police, that i believe on body cam.
-Police said that its clear cut that it his fault
-There is dash footage
-Police said that there was no way i was speeding, backing up my story. Witnesses also said I was not speeding, backing up my story.
-Tyres had done no more that 500 miles.
-Police spent time with us both, swapping details etc etc.
-I have contacted insurance.
-Police said that there were three options. 1/ put it down as being an accident. 2/ send the man on a course, and make him do some sort of fitness to drive test as well as a letter from gp. 3/ points and probable loss of licence.
-It was agreed that option 2 was fair, also meaning that by accepting the course, he is admitting responsibility.

So any advice would be amazing, as well as these questions. would be good to know any traps to avoid and get ahead of.

1. Will it affect my insurance in the long term
1a. Any chance its NOT a write off.
2. Will there be any dispute when it comes to who's fault, despite the police involvement and opinion, as well as the road lay out etc etc
3. I got the bike about 6 weeks ago, how much am I expecting to get back?
4. Will i get money for helmet?
5. How long am i expecting to wait for all this.
6. Can i expect a hire bike?
7. Will I be able to retrieve bits such as mud guard extender, dust caps, phone holder etc?

Im sure there will be more questions that pop up along the way. Karma will be flowing for any help and advice as I really appreciate it.

Absolute gutted about it all tbh.

Thank you all.

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 22:53 - 08 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Ball bag crash, help and advice please. Reply with quote

Yes
No

2. Will there be any dispute when it comes to who's fault, despite the police involvement and opinion, as well as the road lay out etc etc
Depends on the old man's insurance underwriter.

3. I got the bike about 6 weeks ago, how much am I expecting to get back?
All of it.

4. Will i get money for helmet?
If you claim for it.

5. How long am i expecting to wait for all this.
Depends on the length of string

6. Can i expect a hire bike?
Check who is paying for it.

7. Will I be able to retrieve bits such as mud guard extender, dust caps, phone holder etc?
Ask your insurer.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Ball bag crash, help and advice please. Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Yes

thank you very much indeed for the time taken to answer the questions.

So even though this is a non-fault claim, how much will this be expected to up my damn premiums?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:00 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Ball bag crash, help and advice please. Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
Yes

thank you very much indeed for the time taken to answer the questions.

So even though this is a non-fault claim, how much will this be expected to up my damn premiums?

Even if you notify your insurer that you might claim, then decide not to... your premiums the following year will rise.

I'm sure arry will be along soon with some more accurate info.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:54 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a no fault accident, hit from behind. No effect on premium at all.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:56 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What CaNsA said.

Claim for everything. It's not your fault, and you shouldn't be out of pocket one penny. Vehicle, gear, travelling expenses, any lost income, dem feels.

Deal directly with the geezer's insurer. It has nothing to do with yours unless you want to claim on your own comprehensive insurance first and recover the excess later, but then you're dealing with two lots of insurers.

Go via a claims management company if and only if the insurer(s) start giving you trouble. They're not free and not your mates and are likely to be staffed by incompetent pseudo-legals. If you do go with one, choose your own, ignore any clowns that your insurer tries to sell "refer" your claim to.

Press the 3rd party insurer to settle the vehicle and gear damage ASAP and separately from the medical side.

Medical might take years to settle. Get plenty of pictures. Don't assume things will just get better.

First offers are the start of negotiations.

It is an incontrovertible objective fact that Marmite tastes awful.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Ball bag crash, help and advice please. Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

It will be written off.

In your pictures on the other thread the top yoke is snapped. I'd be surprised if there isn't frame damage too.

May be worth getting a price for the scrap though. Even if it's not repairable being a fairly new and very popular model there could be some £'s in breaking it.

and on the bright side you can buy a GSXR with the payout.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

So before reading your reply. The management company have been in touch etc....

Few questions...

1. They say that a helmet will be given to me, rather than paying for me to buy one.

2. How would one go about skipping the management company and contacting the man's insurance directly.

3. Will the 3rd party provide the hire bike?

Tyia

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the lid. I'd be wanting to know exactly what it is (and if cheap shit tell them to fuck off) and that it is brand new.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:22 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want the cash value of all of it. Nothing material as such, all in cold hard cash/cheque monies.

Don't accept a helmet, bun that, cash for your stuff kthxbro.

You are the one being put out by some old codger, fuck him up, lifes almost over.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the helmet go though the normal insurance then, or is that part of the nonsense with the solicitor as uninsured losses?

Main question, what would be the QUICKEST way of getting this sorted.
Thumbs Up Karma Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:41 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Does the helmet go though the normal insurance then, or is that part of the nonsense with the solicitor as uninsured losses?

Its a loss, it goes to their insurance. Not yours, yours can fuck off out the front door. You are rinsing this mugs insurance.

Quickest, there isn't a quick way. My claim for injury and such took 3 years, however you can request interim payments, easier if liability is proven.

You'll be given, or should be given a few forms, one of those will be losses, list absolutely everything. Whilst I'm not really the claiming type for little accidents, if someone clearly ignored me and fucks me up, I'd claim for everything. I've known people to borrow laptops with broken screens and claim they were in your bag and now the screens all fucked up... same with phones.

With the bike though, thats fucked. It snapped the fucking yoke Laughing Those forks must have been well and truly hit, that frame could have countless bent and fucked bits now. Cat B probably Laughing

Coming BBQ? Wanna see these semi-plums Laughing

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I claimed on 3rd parties insurance for a smashed phone screen (was legit smashed in the crash) when they wrote off my car.

I agree what everyone else is saying, claim for what you can, why should you be outta pocket because of an old codger?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

Its a loss, it goes to their insurance. Not yours, yours can fuck off out the front door. You are rinsing this mugs insurance.

Quickest, there isn't a quick way. My claim for injury and such took 3 years, however you can request interim payments, easier if liability is proven.

You'll be given, or should be given a few forms, one of those will be losses, list absolutely everything. Whilst I'm not really the claiming type for little accidents, if someone clearly ignored me and fucks me up, I'd claim for everything. I've known people to borrow laptops with broken screens and claim they were in your bag and now the screens all fucked up... same with phones.

With the bike though, thats fucked. It snapped the fucking yoke Laughing Those forks must have been well and truly hit, that frame could have countless bent and fucked bits now. Cat B probably Laughing

Thank you mate, I thought it would be a write off.

If I do go down the route of compo for belongings, injurys, helmets etc, will that slow down proceedings for getting the money for the bike. Do I keep these issues separate. Basically, I really want the bike side of things settled asap as I am not wanting to waste half the summer watching the nice weather go by.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

If I do go down the route of compo for belongings, injurys, helmets etc, will that slow down proceedings for getting the money for the bike. Do I keep these issues separate. Basically, I really want the bike side of things settled asap as I am not wanting to waste half the summer watching the nice weather go by.

The damage/loss element of the claim can be settled quite quickly once liability has been admitted by the other side.

Bear in mind though that if the Police attended, it may be several months before a copy of the Police report is sent out as it will not be released until the file is closed, and the defendant insurers are allowed 3 months to make carry out theor own investigation before decding on whether to admit liability and even then they may deny liability until such time as the Police report is made available or the outcome of any court case is known.

If your case is being handled by a claims management firm, then there is a possibility that it has been placed on what is called Fast Track (Claims valued at less than £25,000) and you will have a legal executive handling it. Therefore they will go for a quick settlement and an under valuation

The injury element is treated seperately because that will take some time to determine a value, simply because until such time as you have made a full recovery, or you have recovered as best as you are likely to and a long term prognosis has been made in respect of future problems, no value can be placed on that part of the claim.

Also bear in mind that once liability has been admitted, and if asked for, the defendant insurers must pay for private medical treatment if required as they are obliged to mitigate their losses and assist in getting you back to a reasonable level of health as quickly as possible.

But the bottom line is that once liability is sorted and assuming that there is no contributory negligence to contest, the damage element of the caim can be sorted quite quickly.

It is the injury element that takes much longer, and assuming that you make a full recovery quickly, you are still looking at 12 - 18 months before settlement because if it is settled too quickly and you sign a full and final settlement but a year or more later you are still having issues, you cannot go back and say that you want more money unless you sue for professional negligence.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Ball bag crash, help and advice please. Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Ask your insurer.

I concur with CaNsA on all his replies above, but would have thought that regarding your 'bits' (well, your mechanical 'bits' at least Shocked ) the straightforward and simple answer is just to add the cost of new mud guard extender, dust caps, phone holder etc to your claim. The insurance co will own the bike once they've paid you out, and they won't just give you cart blanche just to go and retrieve bits off it (wheels, engine, seat, brakes, who knows!?) as that will obviously reduce the value of the wreck, so by asking, even if they do agree you're adding complexities which you don't need to do. Just keep it simple.

Can't believe you're worrying about your bloody dustcaps given the state of your nut... any news on that front? How are you doing? Do you know if you get to keep it yet?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I really is massively appreciated. Its helpful as all this info I can use to not fall down any traps or get mugged off.

A little worried about this management thing and under valuation? Apparently the management firm are organising inspection etc etc? Am i amble to stop them?

Also, If i am given an under valuation, how does one go about getting more money/ rejecting the offer?

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Wow, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I really is massively appreciated. Its helpful as all this info I can use to not fall down any traps or get mugged off.

A little worried about this management thing and under valuation? Apparently the management firm are organising inspection etc etc? Am i amble to stop them?

Also, If i am given an under valuation, how does one go about getting more money/ rejecting the offer?

I have sent you a PM

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fault or no fault, I think your premiums will rise.

Check policy but I think you might have to report it to your insurers even if you are not intending to make a claim. I was recently rear-ended (car, not bike). Not a scratch on my car but had to report it. At the end of the call I asked if this would affect my premium, I was told probably. Waiting for renewal notice.

GWS.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:43 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

155mph wrote:
Check policy but I think you might have to report it to your insurers even if you are not intending to make a claim..

Why inform the cartel. No legal requirement to do so.

Exile71
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a crash a few years ago in a company car. The other persons insurance appointed a claims management company as there was quite a few injuries so they couldnt be bothered with the hasstle.

To be honest i found them great. All claim settled in a few weeks. They sorted everything, loss of earnings, hire car etc. I actually found them better to deal with than my insurance. Hope it all goes quick for you.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
155mph wrote:
Check policy but I think you might have to report it to your insurers even if you are not intending to make a claim..

might be a policy requirement, when I got knocked off I phoned mine and told them I'd been hit from behind and at the moment blame was being accepted and I did not need action from them, just incase I did need to get them to step in for me.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much indeed, with all the answers. I will keep you updated with the shenanigans.

Bunch of Legends, the lot of you.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

They are currently DEEP purple. Progress pictures are being taken. I think it will make a beautiful time-laps.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 12 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
155mph wrote:

If he claims from the third party's insurance, will his own insurers not be able to see that he has been involved in an accident from some sneaky database or something?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2