Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Using a US frame to re-register a UK bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

squishio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:06 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Using a US frame to re-register a UK bike Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Looking at buying a stolen/recovered bike, frame number is gone, though engine number still present.
I cant find any frames+V5's in the UK, but have found a couple in the US with matching registration.

Does anyone know what the proceedure would be for getting it back on the road in the UK? Would it be clasified as an import or would it get a Q plate?

Cheers!
Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really cheap or rare?
If not, why bother making yourself bother?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

squishio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:28 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cheap, 2010/11 model with low millage
But I'm trying to determine if it is indeed worth the hassle.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:39 - 05 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stamp the original VIN on the frame.

There's no law against it, it's not fraud, there's no intent to deceive.

Why would you not?

squishio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:14 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds sensible, but how might I go about finding the original frame number?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:57 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

squishio wrote:
that sounds sensible, but how might I go about finding the original frame number?

I assumed that if it's legitimately stolen and recovered that it'll come with keys and a V5C.

If it's just "most of a bike for sale, nuffin else, no questions neither," I'd wonder how you'd know that you were buying it from its legitimate owner.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:33 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I assumed that if it's legitimately stolen and recovered that it'll come with keys and a V5C.

You assume correct, when theft happens you send keys and V5 to insurer who dispose/cash in on it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:30 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If catted by the ins-co, though; it may not be possible to re-register as the original vehicle.

In such cases, the salvage co I believe will often grind the VIN off the frame expressly as the vehicle has been deemed not eligible to be returned to road; purchasing the salvage, in such a case, likely you will not receive the V5 as Ins-co will have deemed the vehicle 'scrap' and destroyed or surrendered the log-book.

If you were to rebuild with a brand new OE replacement frame; you would have to register as a new vehicle and provide evidence of origin; such as manufactrers receipt for brand new, unused frame, stating vehicle intended for; and probably be obliged to go through a VIC or Vehicle indent Check to confirm identity at a VOSA inspection depot.

If you buy a bike from abroad; registration process is possibly more simple; you will need original market paperwork to show what the vehicle is, and/or dating letter from a recognized body, like an owners club. DVLA may still ask for a VIC. Once satisfied, they will issue a new UK V5 for the 'imported' vehicle, which WILL make it an import, not a UK bike, and show discrepancy between the date of manufacture and date of first registration.

This may make the bike more difficult/expensive to insure, and or re-sell, certainly to trade in at a dealers.

I believe that you cannot register an import 'blind' on paperwork alone any more; the vehicle has to be proven road-worthy, be UK insured and MOT'd, and that paperwork provided with dating evidence and registration application.

So, practically, you would have to import foreign frame, re-build it with the 'salvage' bought fro insurance co; get a dating letter; get it insured on the frame number, get it MOT'd on the frame number, send off all the paperwork, to get a V5 & reg no. and then buy a plate for it, so you can use it.

And accept you would have to declare as non UK bike to insurers and likely pay extra for the privilege as well as loose some in possible resale value.

If we were talking something rare and exotic and expensive like an MV Agusta, then probably no big deal, and worth the hassle.

If we are talking something common or mundane or just cheap, like one of the lesser known Chinese brands; then probably more hassle than it's worth.

If something in the middle like a ER6 or an R6, you pays your money and takes your chances; could prove a short-term way to a better bike than you could buy of e-bay for the money, and/or a rather expensive one in the long term, dependent.

But, if frame no ground off... yup, you COULD just stamp with original no, if you can find it, either on paperwork or by etching ground metal.. but DVLA still have to accept it... and if its been deemed BER and catted off the system by UK insurers; you could end up a bit stuffed on that alley.. all depends on the DVLA status of registration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:48 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

If you were to rebuild with a brand new OE replacement frame; you would have to register as a new vehicle and provide evidence of origin; such as manufactrers receipt for brand new, unused frame, stating vehicle intended for; and probably be obliged to go through a VIC or Vehicle indent Check to confirm identity at a VOSA inspection depot.

How are people supposed to work out which bits of information in your walls of sperg are useful when you litter them with gems like this? Rolling Eyes

THe VIC check has been gone since 2015 and even then, one wasn't required for Motorcycles.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:08 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

How are people supposed to work out which bits of information in your walls of sperg are useful when you litter them with gems like this? Rolling Eyes

THe VIC check has been gone since 2015 and even then, one wasn't required for Motorcycles.

He is a grade a fucking cretin. Been blocked for many years.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:26 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be (grudgingly) fair, garbage in = garbage out.

If OP wants a useful answer, he should deliver a steaming information dump of everything that he knows about the bike.

Absent that, I expect it's just idle fantasy anyway.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat A and B they won't issue a v5c for, cat C and D they will. Simple as that.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:23 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
[Written off as non-repairable] they won't issue a v5c for. Simple as that.

Simplified for accuracy. A, B, C, D were always imaginary, and are soon to be A, B, S, N (still imaginary).

Non-repairable is now an Actual Thing though.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just simplifying teflong's post.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

squishio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all sounds like too much hassle Sad

Heres the bike...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Adventurer-salvage-complete-machine-needs-new-frame-complete-/272691661583?hash=item3f7db08b0f:g:ElMAAOSwz71ZTM-I

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

squishio wrote:

Screams wrong 'un - both the bike and the seller. I'd not go near that.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

squishio wrote:

Ahh, one of those "it's an easy job mate", so easy the seller can't/won't do it themselves

And have they ever heard of punctuation

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:55 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS Imports are (or were) fairly legit importers of cheap Chinese bikes-in-boxes.

That bike though, I'd ask "Keys and V5C?" then forget about it unless the answer is yes/yes. As it, it's worth its price in parts, less the hassle to collect and break it.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice in the advert it says 'Police Seizure Bike', it doesn't say stolen/recovered etc. My best guess would be that it has been sold off by the police (for destruction) and it can't be put back on the road using its original identity hence the removed vin number.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:42 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
Notice in the advert it says 'Police Seizure Bike', it doesn't say stolen/recovered etc. My best guess would be that it has been sold off by the police (for destruction) and it can't be put back on the road using its original identity hence the removed vin number.

It also says "Triumph Adventurer" when it's a Tiger 1050. I'd avoid. Seller can't spell and doesn't even know what bike it is!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:48 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it's a bike, not a relationship. Lee's a reasonable bloke by all accounts: it might be worth a call to see what the story is.

I'd expect it's "no keys, no docs" and you'd have to be a mug of monumental proportions to touch it, mind.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Eh, it's a bike, not a relationship. Lee's a reasonable bloke by all accounts: it might be worth a call to see what the story is.

I'd expect it's "no keys, no docs" and you'd have to be a mug of monumental proportions to touch it, mind.

I'm sure Lee's lovely. I just wouldn't buy a normal used bike from a trader that couldn't spell and seemingly wasn't sure what bike they had. Let alone salvage. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1