BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KLE500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: KLE500 Reply with quote

I kinda fancy one of these. Don't really know why. I fancy a really cheap adv hack for winter use and exploring less tarmac-ed places without worrying about smashing it and these go for proper peanuts during winter.

Anyone got any experience of them? Is the later (05+ I think) or the 90's one the one to go for?

Obviously there are better off road bikes for not a lot of money but I'm talking more for reasonable distance multiday trips with a bit of off road ability for exploring less populated places with a hammock or bivi bag strapped to the back. Not really expecting it to compete with the likes of an 800GS but these are REALLY cheap so might be worth a punt as a CG replacement.

They seem well regarded on ADV rider.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Vracktal the resident KLE guy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:52 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Vracktal's housemate, and having to suffer (yes, suffer is an adeqaute term for the riding experience provided by it) using his KLE500 as a borrow bike when my Fazer was all kinds of focced, the soundest piece of advice I can give you regarding the KLE is DONT. Laughing

Theres a reason you dont see many of them around, theyre terrible. Sloppy piss poor brakes that require you to start braking about 10 years in advance. They break down directly proportionally to how much you need it to work. Running late for work and need to get in on time? You can guarantee it will break down. Nice Sunday afternoon for a bimble? It will run flawlessly. Mysterious gremlin electrical issues plague it and the main fuse will pop when it rains leaving you stranded if you dont have a spare.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who's owned two of them amd still daily drives whats left of them, they're cheap because they're bad, but they're also good because they're bad. And here's why:

Yes, the front brakes are pitiful, no argument there. However, they will bring it to a stop eventually and they can be improved with the calliper from a later er650 and braided hoses.

The handling is pretty bad as well, but the front air shocks and squidgy rear shock coupled with the 21 inch front wheel mean it will absolutely anhillate potholes, kerbs, small animals, anything. This makes them amazing commuter bikes. They also crash superbly, especially if you fit the engine bars from the ER5. I also find mine completely hilarous to ride despite all this, mainly because there's an amazing sense of achievement to getting a bike like this to hustle around corners. It's thin and tall too so it filters well.

In terms of reliability, mine has never really worked properly, but it's never actually broken down either. In 147,000 miles and over ten years of ownership all i've had to replace is the engine block twice and the entire wiring harness and the bodywork and the swingarm.

Offorad, these bikes are surprisingly good. I've had mine up sandy hills, through mud up to the axles, through floodwater up to the headlight and it's kept plodding on. I also dropped it off a cliff at devils punchbowl and it survived. Lowsiding it into a lake hydrolocked engine number two.

If none of this puts you off, there's two models to choose from. Each has their own advantages and pitfalls.

The A series bikes (1990-1998ish models) have the old style bodywork. These are the cheapy ones that can usually be had for pennies. the downshot is they had a few design flaws: the headers were mild steel and rusted through, and the front sprocket used an awful keep-plate retainer that inevitably failed, leaving the sprocket to chew up the gearbox out shaft. This killed engine 1 for me. Rustproofing on the earlier bikes was also bollocks, and the swingarms tend to rust from the inside out so check this on any one you look at. The wiring tends to dissolve on them as well, so stay away from any bikes with electrical issues.

The B series bikes (2000-2006) have the new, angular bodywork. Aspirational people also seem to still expect to sell them for folding money somehow. These bikes solved the gearbox issues by swapping the keep plate for a sensible locknut instead. However, since emissions rules were stricter they also had to fit it with three catalytic converters, which castrated the engine and made it weigh a tonne. The ideal compromise is to get an A series bike and fit a B series engine, which is what mine turned into eventually OR get a B series bike and delete all the emissions crap.

If you're looking for a cheap winter hack that can offroad and tour, i'd say buy one, run it into the ground, no regrets. Try not to dead. Don't spend more them £1000 on one.

https://i.imgur.com/T7ki4XV.jpg

£400 obo

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
Lots of useful info

Thanks for that - actually sounds like what I'm looking for - something cheap that will take some abuse, cope with off road and still work even in proper rat form. I often seems to be attracted to shit bikes for some reason, I kinda like the idea of an ADV rat to stealth camp with!

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brakes are pretty scary Shocked I tried new pads and braided lines with mine and it made no difference. Owned for a year (P reg) just for commuting, was ok for that. Never went wrong for me, was just pointless trying to have fun on it in the twisties. Don't miss it one bit Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/KCZk8qn.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
In 147,000 miles and over ten years of ownership all i've had to replace is the engine block twice and the entire wiring harness and the bodywork and the swingarm.

So you have ONLY had to replace the engine, twice, and basically everything else except the frame once. I suppose in 147,000 that isn't too bad Laughing

I'll pass Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:38 - 13 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/UM5UzoM.jpg

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
said things,
and now I want one...

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Vracktal wrote:
said things,
and now I want one...

Well then GOOD NEWS https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-Kawasaki-KLE-500-with-2005-engine-/263042586111?

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
Kal wrote:
and now I want one...

Well then GOOD NEWS https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-Kawasaki-KLE-500-with-2005-engine-/263042586111?

I'd have that if you'd deliver. I'm not sure I'd fancy breaking down in London after picking it up.

GLWTS

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want something like a KLE500 then it would probably also be worth looking at the Honda XL600, XL650, NX650 and Suzuki XF650 (if only for it's name 'FreeWind'!).

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your KLE earlier. Sadly the only way I woułd have £400 in folding is to sell my GPZ, which isn't happening anytime soon

uote="Alpineandy"]If you really want something like a KLE500 then it would probably also be worth looking at the Honda XL600, XL650, NX650 and Suzuki XF650 (if only for it's name 'FreeWind'!).[/quote]

I remember drooling over a purple NX650 at Twist Grip in Nottingham way back in the late ninties

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
If you really want something like a KLE500 then it would probably also be worth looking at the Honda XL600, XL650, NX650 and Suzuki XF650 (if only for it's name 'FreeWind'!).

Very much this, and also the Vstrom 650.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
also the Vstrom 650.

Nice bike but a bike more expensive and a bit heavier I believe.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:51 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Vracktal wrote:
also the Vstrom 650.

Nice bike but a bike more expensive and a bit heavier I believe.

2012-2016 model is around 210kg dry with ABS on.
Older one i think is around 200 dry as they list the wet as 220.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vstrom is definitely more expensive. Nice bikes though, my mate has the later model.

The reason the KLE appeals to me is because they are so cheap - cheap enough to use and abuse and let it turn into a rat without having to care much. All my others it bothers me when they get filthy and degrade.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1