Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towering Inferno

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Towering Inferno Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
That's some sodding refurb at £83,000 per flat. You could rebuild a 3 bedroomed house from demolishment for that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1eaebmj53fzeg7/fp.png?raw=1

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Sort of place you should pay market rents to live Whistle Half of the tower blocks in London don't meet fire standards or European housing standards, still I doubt BCF will shed a tear over some peasants dying.

Peasants, of course. Londoners not so much.

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Official advice to residents was to wet a towel, put it under the door and await rescue. Stupidly they listened to that.

Sad

Smoke alarms were too quiet. Those trapped on the top floor had little chance of escape if they didn't hear the alarm. One resident on the news said they were alerted because they asked a cop on the ground floor through a window whats going on and the cop said Fire GTFO.

Also corridors filled with stuff, no fire escapes, only one door in and out, and as discussed insulation all up the sides.

Luckily for them it was Ramadan and Muslims could only eat between 10PM and 3AM ish I think, so a lot of them were up and having dinner. Yes, also possible cause for the fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Official advice to residents was to wet a towel, put it under the door and await rescue. Stupidly they listened to that.

Sad

Where does this "stay put" advice come from?

As front desk security in some pretty big office buildings the procedure for suspected fire is "Everybody GTFO" not "evacuate floor 2, all other floors keep working".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
Snowdonia Rider wrote:

Sad

As front desk security in some pretty big office buildings the procedure for suspected fire is "Everybody GTFO" not "evacuate floor 2, all other floors keep working".

Residential buildings are generally subdivided by large slabs of concrete, regular fire doors etc and its extremely rare for fire to spread beyond the flat it breaks out in. Far greater risk of injury/death from several hundred panicking people running down stairs.

Sadly in this case, the fire has spread extremely rapidly, from eyewitness accounts up the outside of the building, where the fire doors will do you no good.

Very very sad for everyone involved
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we blamed the Muslims yet?

Or the left as an intricate smear campaign on the new Tory [insert position here] Who oversaw the doing of fuck all about the complaints raised?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:
Sort of place you should pay market rents to live Whistle Half of the tower blocks in London don't meet fire standards or European housing standards, still I doubt BCF will shed a tear over some peasants dying.

Peasants who can afford at least £1625 per month on a 2 bedroom flat?
Many were over £2,000 pcm.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-29718200.html

That's a sizeable mortgage for a large detached house outside of London.

Prestige prestige prestige... I assume (judging by the people interviewed) not all of them were privately owned Wink

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

According to Scaredy they saved everyone all superman like.

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was awake most of last night.
It was crazy when the fire wasn't so bad people were waiting in their flats to be rescued.
Then the tv stations were asked to tell viewers if they know anyone in there to ring them and tell them to make their own way out.

When the fire was all over most of the front there was one guy still walking around a flat on 3rd or 4th floor still waiting to be rescued.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Peasants who can afford at least £1625 per month on a 2 bedroom flat?
Many were over £2,000 pcm.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-29718200.html

That's a sizeable mortgage for a large detached house outside of London.

Quote:
This property has been removed by the agent.
It may be let or temporarily removed from the market

*Awaits newly refurbished penthouse in architecturally exciting development ad*.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:41 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/RVB54Jl.png

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
smegballs wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/RVB54Jl.png

Same as the Lakanal house fire, when there's only one exit the advice should be GTFO before that exit's blocked. I feel sorry for the people who did stay but at some point you've got to make your own decision. A woman from the 17th floor said she made it out 25mins after it started.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
According to Scaredy they saved everyone all superman like.

Catching babies is wot superman does, so...

<goes back to Day of Infamy>

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reposting my own post from #ndwi thread
https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

Quote:

It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the  KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders.

We believe that the KCTMO are an evil, unprincipled, mini-mafia who have no business to be charged with the responsibility of  looking after the every day management of large scale social housing estates and that their sordid collusion with the RBKC Council is a recipe for a future major disaster.

Unfortunately, the Grenfell Action Group have reached the conclusion that only an incident that results in serious loss of life of KCTMO residents will allow the external scrutiny to occur that will shine a light on the practices that characterise the malign governance of this non-functioning organisation. We believe that the KCTMO have ensured their ongoing survival by the use of proxy votes at their Annual General Meeting that see them returned with a mandate of 98% in favour of the continuation of their inept and highly dangerous management of our homes.

It is no coincidence that the 98% is the same figure that is returned by the infamous Kim Jong-un of North Korea who claims mass popularity while reputedly enslaving the general population and starving the majority of his people to death.

It is our conviction that a serious fire in a tower block or similar high density residential property is the most likely reason that those who wield power at the KCTMO will be found out and brought to justice! :

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof looks more survivable than that flats if the staircase is out.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/london/west/kensington-chelsea/government-sat-on-tower-fire-report-four-years/

6 dead the last time, 12 so far at Grenfell Tower, maybe they'll take an interest this time.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

Or the left as an intricate smear campaign on the new Tory [insert position here] Who oversaw the doing of fuck all about the complaints raised?

bnp72 wrote:
I mentioned concern of the tone of this protest group too. It sounded more of a threat to me and I worry if some twisted individual tried to make a point which got out of hand.

I think that's close enough to score the point Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Small mind, small thoughts.

I've thought that of you for quite some time Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
I'll go for a Beko product being involved.

Sky News Eyewitness reported a fridge exploded.

No brand was mentioned but I will update with any further findings.

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister lived in a block of apartments about 10 story.
One evening there was a fire drill (she didn't know it was a drill)and she got the lift down.
On the way down she seen in the lift not to use in a fire go down the stairs.
At ground level the doors opened,she people out front of building and got the lift back up and went down the stairs. Embarassed

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:23 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
My money is on weed farm and hotwired electrics.

Maybe but now all the cool kids are blowing themselves up trying to make butane honey oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36988316
https://metro.co.uk/2017/04/03/super-strong-shatter-cannabis-hits-the-uk-and-people-are-blowing-themselves-up-6550217/

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
grr666 wrote:
My money is on weed farm and hotwired electrics.

Maybe but now all the cool kids are blowing themselves up trying to make butane honey oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36988316
https://metro.co.uk/2017/04/03/super-strong-shatter-cannabis-hits-the-uk-and-people-are-blowing-themselves-up-6550217/

Being stoned and messing around with highly combustible substances, doesn't seem like the best idea tbh. Thinking

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 2 of 37