Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towering Inferno

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
jjdugen wrote:
This is not intended as a wind up question, I'm just really curious.
WHY do the stupidly rich CHOOSE to live in central London? I know that a lot of the recent development is used as hedges for foreign investors (why?), but there are a large number with actual residences in central London. You can't drive, park, walk, breath fresh air. You live cheek to jowl in area more crowded than the old slums in Salford. Rates, sky high, not that it probably matters to 'them'. Why? Just... WHY?

Because other places are cookie cutter town centres filled with chain stores and mediocre services.

If your preferred pleasures in life involve civilisation, you want to live in a dense area. If you prefer the outdoors, city life won't appeal.

I'm not stupidly rich, but paid well enough to enjoy most of London, and for me it's about 50% fine dining and excellent wine, 20% well-compensated work, 10% niche consumption / shops you can't find anywhere else, and 10% other entertainment, whether it's festivals, theatre, exhibitions etc., and 10% energy - just the energy of the streets, most people here are from somewhere else, ambitious to achieve things.

The only good thing about London's there are a million ways to get out of it.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:29 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Angry mob beats up volunteer. Clapping

Them white guys in suits all look the same, innit.

I guess - I hope - he won't make that mistake again.

Thought to be Robert Black – the CEO of Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation who's a dead (2016) Serial Killer Whistle

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:08 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The only good thing about London's there are a million ways to get out of it.

This time next year, Rodney.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Because other places are cookie cutter town centres filled with chain stores and mediocre services.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Indeed there is no originality, history, or culture at all whatsoever outside the M25. Neutral

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:49 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, it seems that firepersons were already on scene, had actually put out the fridge fire, and were leaving when the outside of the building lit up.

Still no definitive word on whether that cladding was prohibited or not.

If prohibited, corporate manslaughter, minimum.

If allowed, Sir Humphrey will be up for early retirement. What, you think politicians actually write laws and regulations?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Crikey, it seems that firepersons were already on scene, had actually put out the fridge fire, and were leaving when the outside of the building lit up.

If allowed, Sir Humphrey will be up for early retirement. What, you think politicians actually write laws and regulations?

I watched the Panorama programme this morning. Very strange, adds more credence to the claim something was going on possibly behind the cladding. Oh and no one will get 'done' for it, managers spend all their time absolving themselves of accountability.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

https://www.labc.co.uk/sites/default/files/br_pdf_ad_b2_2013.pdf

12.5 External Wall Construction:
The external envelope of a building should not provide a medium for fire spread if it is likely to be a risk to health and safety. The use of combustible material in the cladding system and extensive cavities may present such a risk in tall buildings. Externall (sic) walls should eithre meet the guidance given in paras 12.6 to 12.9 or meet the performance criteria given in the BRE Fire Performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multi storey buildings (BR 135).

12.7 - in a building with a storey 18m or more above ground level any insulation product, filler material etc used in the external wall construction should be a material of limited combustibility (see Appendix A).

Appendix A:
Fire resistance - factors having a bearing on fire resistance that are considered in this document are:
a) fire severity.
b) building height
c) building occupancy.

Materials of limited combustibility:
Defined in Table A7

Table A7 - insulation material in external wall construction referred to in para 12.7:
a) any non combustible material listed in Table A6 (it ain't)
b) any material of density 300kg/m2 which when tested to BS476-11 does nt flame and the rise in temperature on the furnace thermocouple is not more than 20degC (it ain't)
c) Any material with a non-combustible core (it ain't).

Can't see any way that it complies, TBH, but the Approved Doc B training was a while ago now and I've forgotten how many loopholes there are with it; lots is the answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:36 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was all predicted ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/house-of-cards-predicted-grenfell-tower-tragedy-london-fire-bbc-theresa-may-a7798761.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

Possibly inspired by: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point

That or illuminati.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:20 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40357280

£1.5million luxury flats to be given out to residents of Grenfel Tower. Complete with own private cinema and 24hr concierge.

I bet the people who paid up for these flats are THRILLED to be having the population of Little Somalia and New Syria moving in with them.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be an inter-council battle surely - the sensible thing has to be to pick them up and deliver them out to the slums in Jaywick. The only logical reason I can see for that not happening is Jaywick are laughing their fucking ass off at Kensington.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40357280

£1.5million luxury flats to be given out to residents of Grenfel Tower. Complete with own private cinema and 24hr concierge.

I bet the people who paid up for these flats are THRILLED to be having the population of Little Somalia and New Syria moving in with them.

You get that across new developments. Because developers have to (reluctantly) build x amount of social housing, you get half a block that's privately owned, and residents that are a bit miffed at sharing with social housing tenants. Hence why you get situations such as 'poor doors': https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/25/poor-doors-segregation-london-flats

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:45 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

127 flats pre-cleansing.

68 flats in Toffington Towers.

59 total losses?

Or much "Where my concierge at?" bawwing?

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is now emerging that the cladding panels released enough "hydrogen cyanide" to kill most people inside, alot of victims in hospital have been treated for this poisoning.

Ive seen wild claims of upto 500 people in the building because mass amounts of subletting going on with illegals living in there..

Cant see it being that many but sounds messy.. I dont think theyll ever know how many died...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fowlersrs wrote:
It is now emerging that the cladding panels released enough "hydrogen cyanide" to kill most people inside, alot of victims in hospital have been treated for this poisoning.

Ive seen wild claims of upto 500 people in the building because mass amounts of subletting going on with illegals living in there..

Cant see it being that many but sounds messy.. I dont think theyll ever know how many died...

I think they've been saying 600 residents for a while, that's an average of 5 per flat (and the biggest ones are 2 beds) Confused The whole numbers thing has been very very strange from the start. The fact they were saying the death tole was 12, then residents started kicking off because (apparently) firefighters were telling them they were hundreds of dead, then we got the 30 dead 79 in total missing.

I suspect they're either embarrassed (if that's the right word) at the scale of the tragedy, or trying to hide just how overcrowded it was.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there will be no immigration status checks on any residents/survivors.

Now I really don't know what to think about that. Are the government being kind to survivors? Do they know there are hundreds of illegals and don't want the figures bandied about in the media. Is that a free stay in UK along with your million pound flat pass?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Now I really don't know what to think about that. Are the government being kind to survivors? Do they know there are hundreds of illegals and don't want the figures bandied about in the media. Is that a free stay in UK along with your million pound flat pass?

Half of them would just claim to be some of the deaded anyway.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Fowlersrs wrote:

I think they've been saying 600 residents for a while, that's an average of 5 per flat (and the biggest ones are 2 beds) Confused The whole numbers thing has been very very strange from the start. The fact they were saying the death tole was 12, then residents started kicking off because (apparently) firefighters were telling them they were hundreds of dead, then we got the 30 dead 79 in total missing.

I suspect they're either embarrassed (if that's the right word) at the scale of the tragedy, or trying to hide just how overcrowded it was.

There's nothing strange about it. They only declare someone dead once each death has been officially declared (by the coroner?) and (you'd hope) family have been informed. Thus the official death toll increases as time passes.

Last edited by Kawasaki Jimbo on 22:26 - 21 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Half of them would just claim to be some of the deaded anyway.

Good point.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:48 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Are the government being kind to survivors?

No.

Polarbear wrote:
Do they know there are hundreds of illegals and don't want the figures bandied about in the media.

Yes.

Polarbear wrote:
Is that a free stay in UK along with your million pound flat pass?

Yes.

My immediate suspicion is that hundreds of gibs will rock up out of nowhere saying "Yeah, I was legit living in there and that. Penthouse, naow."

This is an appalling message to send, that tragedy means free stuff and the suspension of the rule of law.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Are the government being kind to survivors?

No.

Polarbear wrote:
Do they know there are hundreds of illegals and don't want the figures bandied about in the media.

Yes.

Polarbear wrote:
Is that a free stay in UK along with your million pound flat pass?

Yes.

My immediate suspicion is that hundreds of gibs will rock up out of nowhere saying "Yeah, I was legit living in there and that. Penthouse, naow."

This is an appalling message to send, that tragedy means free stuff and the suspension of the rule of law.

And hopefully (trolololol) when they can't prove that they were, or in fact that they can't prove they're here legally, they'll be booted out?

Best get praying to Allan. He seems to be pulling his weight with his followers at the min.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
There's nothing strange about it. They only declare someone dead once each death has been officially declared (by the coroner?) and (you'd hope) family have been informed. Thus the official death toll increases as time passes.

They don't name people (normally) before the family has been informed, they can say x amount of people died, they do it all the time unless they're deliberately playing down the scale of something.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:25 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Quote:
Hodge survived, despite being blown across the room by the explosion—as did her gas stove, which she took to her new address.

I'd like to know more about this lady's evil adventures with her flat destroying stove.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

They don't name people (normally) before the family has been informed, they can say x amount of people died, they do it all the time unless they're deliberately playing down the scale of something.

No, you've missed the point. If corpses are laying in the ashes or on the slab they're not officially reportable as deaths until they've been processed. Just because firemen counted more bodies doesn't mean the authorities are hiding the true death toll. It will keep mounting. Let's not go all 'conspiracy theory' over it.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Let's not go all 'conspiracy theory' over it.
Where's the fun in that? More conspiracy, more conspiracy, more asbestos, more asbestos...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 8 of 37