Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towering Inferno

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't disagree (hey, in some ways they pay my wages) - it was more the political play of the headline I was getting at; especially after yesterday's calls for re-routing of the carnival because reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
M.C wrote:

Fix your quotes fam' Folded arms

Fix what? Confused

All the best

Katy

You quoted me with B5234FT's words.

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Who historically provided decent quality housing?

The free market.

I'm doing this thing where I address the actual statement on the screen, rather than whatever thoughts might or might not have been in your head.

We might be discussing provision to those who haven't earned it and don't deserve it, but that's a very judgemental viewpoint, and you know I'm all about inclusivity.

Or you could be doing your usual thing where you get stuck in a loop, because you don't like the conclusions of a debate. I suspect in this case it's that local authorities were prolific house builders way before the gimmedat generation rocked up.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:14 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

You quoted me with B5234FT's words.

Oops. Quoted you quoting them. Sorry

All the best

Katy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:21 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I suspect in this case it's that local authorities were prolific house builders way before the gimmedat generation rocked up.

And who built houses before the welfare state started giving them away?

It seem that you're starting from the conclusion that nobody can afford to pay for their own home.

If I were bnp72 I might make a crack about you still being on mumsy's teat, and having no intention of ever flying the nest into the scary real world and making a go of it by yourself.

But that would be churlish.

Trivia, churl is derived from ceorl, the lowest Anglo-Saxon free class. They managed to build and own their own homes, without ganging together and mugging thegns for their hard earned.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:11 - 08 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
I suspect in this case it's that local authorities were prolific house builders way before the gimmedat generation rocked up.

And who built houses before the welfare state started giving them away?

It seem that you're starting from the conclusion that nobody can afford to pay for their own home.

If I were bnp72 I might make a crack about you still being on mumsy's teat, and having no intention of ever flying the nest into the scary real world and making a go of it by yourself.

But that would be churlish.

Well your restraint lasted approximately 8 minutes Clapping Jeez you're stuck in a loop. Local authorities reasoned people might need somewhere to live, but this was before we all became Thatcherites, and considered anyone who wasn't a home owner scum. Leaving it to the private sector for the last 30 odd years has worked out really well hasn't it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Well your restraint lasted approximately 8 minutes Clapping

Thanks for noticing, I've been working hard on my self control.

M.C wrote:
Jeez you're stuck in a loop.

Conservatism of momentum.

M.C wrote:
Local authorities reasoned people might need somewhere to live

People had places to live, generally the places that they deserved based on the value that they provide.

Local authorities reasoned that taxing the worthwhile to gift homes to the worthless was a sure fire way to buy votes. And boy, were they right. Or left, rather: they own the cities.

I do approve in principle of building more homes, bigger home and better homes, but...

M.C wrote:
Leaving it to the private sector for the last 30 odd years has worked out really well hasn't it.

... planning permission is not granted by the private sector.

The number and type of homes which are allowed to be built is not decided by the private sector.

Our "private sector" is effectively dictated by councils too.

Worked out really well, hasn't it?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Well your restraint lasted approximately 8 minutes Clapping

Thanks for noticing, I've been working hard on my self control.

M.C wrote:
Jeez you're stuck in a loop.

Conservatism of momentum.

M.C wrote:
Local authorities reasoned people might need somewhere to live

People had places to live, generally the places that they deserved based on the value that they provide.

Local authorities reasoned that taxing the worthwhile to gift homes to the worthless was a sure fire way to buy votes. And boy, were they right. Or left, rather: they own the cities.

I do approve in principle of building more homes, bigger home and better homes, but...

M.C wrote:
Leaving it to the private sector for the last 30 odd years has worked out really well hasn't it.

The number and type of homes which are allowed to be built is not decided by the private sector.

In my town it is with thanks to brown envelopes under tables. Otherwise there's no way they'd have approved so many houses in such a short space of time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

No people were living in slum conditions, thankfully some people were not ok with this (I know what your solution would be).

Quote:

So the planners are to blame? I thought developers were driven by economic factors, that's why they tend to lose interest come recession come:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/media/images/82303000/png/_82303600_private_social_sect_new_homes_624gr.png

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.

How many of you in this thread have actually been to Grenfell Ground Zero and looked at the tributes and notes?

Probably slightly more might have at least been over the A40 where you cannot help but view the tower in all it's grimness from a slightly further distance.

Come then, come to London, get a good look up REAL FUCKING CLOSE at the lives of those affected.

Let's see how many of you are still glib statistic-quoting smart arses then, eh Mad Middle Finger

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tower is such the shame of our city.
I don't think it should be pulled down.
I think it should stay standing, a grim reminder of what grasping greed and power-wrangling can do to people's lives.

What I'd like to see them do is scaffold the lot, shore it up as best they can, and then put concrete planters in on each floor, with a rose bush or other hardy type of flowery shrub* for every dead or unaccounted-for person.

Couple of years and it would be a fitting gravesite for all those bodies still in there/unable to be identified.

When it starts to fall down of its own accord, hopefully many years in the future, maybe then arrange to have it demolished.

But we as Londoners need the short sharp shock of being reminded just what happens when you forget about the small lives of people.

/hippy

*NOT buddleia which despite the pretty title of "butterfly bush" is a pestilential weed in London and will grow in any crack in abandoned buildings, given half a chance. Hate the stuff.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 07:57 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice idea Hellcat but I imagine the council has already been showered with offers from developers to "re-develop" the site and the greed will get the better of them eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
So.

How many of you in this thread have actually been to Grenfell Ground Zero and looked at the tributes and notes?

Probably slightly more might have at least been over the A40 where you cannot help but view the tower in all it's grimness from a slightly further distance.

Come then, come to London, get a good look up REAL FUCKING CLOSE at the lives of those affected.

Let's see how many of you are still glib statistic-quoting smart arses then, eh Mad Middle Finger

London is a black hole sucking the life out of the rest of the country. Most people have been to London because the state gives most of the country's best assets to London, so we have little choice. A better question would be how many Londoners could find Hull, Coventry, Bristol and Blackpool on a map?

As for getting close to the lives of those affected, only if I had an AR15 so they couldn't stab or behead me for not being politically correct enough.

TL;DR. I don't care about Londoners, inner M25 issues nor Grenfell towers. It's reciprocal you understand, they don't even know or care if I exist.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:04 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I dunno, that seems rather ghoulish.

I mean, if it just resulted in a cathartic weep and then self indulgent virtue signalling.

But I'm sure it incentivised you to take some concrete actions that actually benefited the survivors.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at first glance it does seem that way, I fully understand what you are implyiing, but in fact from a human level you feel compelled to see if you can somehow empathise. It hasn't incentivised me to do anything other than realise just how little we consider the lives of other people, so busy are we in shouting about what we think are the big things, we forget about the small lives of ourselves and everyone else.

What happens is that you find yourself in the vicinity, and the human side of you thinks "Maybe I'll go and see how it is, now, surely after this much time it's not so ... gross (or indeed so ghoulish) as it was earlier on."

For myself, I took down some old clothes the following day for people to wear, but you couldn't get near the place, and they were suggesting you leave things with organised collectors at a local church. So I dropped the stuff and went off and vowed to come back. Hoping the smokey smell would not be there the next time I went back.

So you slink into the area, clutching some sort of conciliatory flowers that you might have wanted to pick from the rich-people's gardens down the road, but ended up getting a two quid bunch from a foreign guy at the traffic lights on the Westway, and which now feels like a beacon designating your outsiderishness, and feeling somewhat like a ghoulish tourist, and you try not to catch anybody's eye, in case they importune you for money, belongings, sympathy. But everyone (including the machete-brandishing cultural types that apparently everyone thinks are on every street corner in London), keeps themselves to themselves and you find somewhere to rid yourself of the flowers fairly sharpish.

But then you find yourself reading people's agony, on pieces of paper stuck to walls, in colourful angry graffiti which has bloomed on every building nearby, or just on the faces around the neighbourhood, its like standing at the back of a church during a funeral and watching the people giving the eulogy crying their eyes out, you're uncomfortable, embarrassed to be looking into the pain of people's lives, even those who did not live in the tower, you hear them talking to other people: their kids went to the same schools, or they knew someone from the pub or the chip shop. And then you read one too many tribute, and find the hairs on your arms tingling and your eyes leaking, and you creep away, yes feeling ghoulish, and wondering how the fuck anybody can make that right for those people. The neighbours feel guilty for having the fortune to still be alive, to not have been living in that block, because any number of locals could have been put in that block, and now they are feeling their own vulnerability, not just as people living in social housing, but as people with a lot less control over their lives than they ever realised before.

When you look at that tower, and like I said, you will do so if you travel on the Westway. The first time you come round the corner of the motorway and see it, its grim charcoaly reality is right there in front of you and it makes you gasp at its stark glassless windows and carbonized "splendour" in comparison to the other towers around it.

The more often you see it, the more you think about the people still inside, the ones nobody even knows exist, a block like that, its got to have had some illegal sublettings. The ones who were found in a big group in the corner: were they trying to band together to rescue one another? But when you see it and you imagine how they must have watched one another die, how they must have been mourning those dying in front of them, who they could not help and yet still trying desperately to save their own lives, when you think about those real details of what might have happened, their souls scream at you ... and finally you learn to avert your eyes, in that very English way, when driving past just as the right time not to see it. But you can't help yourself. It's like a mirror, when you pass you have to look, and when you do ... its like baring your soul to the Furies.

Once you've seen it, and thought about it, not as a facile commentator on the internet, or as a (rightfully) angry provincial feeling aggrieved at Londoncentric policies and events, but as a human being considering the lives of other human beings in circumstances you would never never want to find yourself, you can't unfeel the awe-inspiring terror of finding yourself in a similar situation, or the anger of thinking other people might be at risk of the same thing through simple acts of greed, selfishness or base stupidity.

So certainly it may be considered ghoulish, but I think the people taking selfies are the ghoulish ones, like the people who take selfies at Belsen. People genuinely do go there to be rememberingest, and to try to make sense of what happened and to feel how ruined the remaining lives are, and others go for the publicity value : "I went there, look at my selfie".

Yeah Rog, I went there, too, but I was too traumatised to even consider taking a selfie. You can rest assured that no matter what your reason for visiting, if you are an even slightly emotionally aware person, it does haunt you.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It was turned into a political weapon before the flames had even been put out.

EDIT: (Indeed, its likely to have turned that way before the flames had even finished running up the building).

Not everybody in social housing is illegally in the country, or subletting. I do agree that sub-letting is rife, although the housing organisations have been making quite a strong attempt (prior to the fire) to ensure they are aware of individual occupants in every property, but as we all know, its like herding kittens.

(so now we are discussing the burnt-to-a-cinder souls of kittens screaming out for justice, it somehow makes it seem worse, even if they are illegal immigrant kittens) Shocked

I do also agree that the law should not be selectively applied. Indeed, for all my bleeding-heart liberalist rant in the post above, I take the somewhat unpopular view that if they had not been in the country and illegally lliving there, they would not have got themselves in that situation in the first place.

But you can't really say that to dead people whose sooty flakes of skin are probably still sticking to the tops of trees.

Last edited by hellkat on 13:07 - 09 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

London is a black hole sucking the life out of the rest of the country. Most people have been to London because the state gives most of the country's best assets to London, so we have little choice. A better question would be how many Londoners could find Hull, Coventry, Bristol and Blackpool on a map?

'We' generate a shit load of tax revenue, which gets spent on other parts of the country, so we're not given anything Rolling Eyes: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/07/london-top-taxpaying-city-uk-report

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to everywhere on I'm-a-Ridah's list, except Bristol - so I do know where they (all) are, and more. Despite rumours to the contrary, I do sometimes leave the gilded luxury within the M25, although admittedly it is quite rare. Be there not dragonnes out there? I don't always have my dragonne-banishing underpants on.

Although sure, if the same towerblock disaster were to happen in the distant lands of yore, I'm the first to admit I'd be unlikely to travel beyond the M25 just to have a look at some crusty old burnt out building full of allegedly illegal immigrants.

On Ridah's other salient point, I think people don't have too much trouble noticing that I am not the most politically correct person that ever lived. Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been to Lands End and John o' Groats, and quite a few places in between, and I can safely say the North's shit and worth avoiding where possible Wink Londoners do tend to travel a fair bit, the best thing about this place's there are a million ways to get out.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I've been to everywhere on I'm-a-Ridah's list, except Bristol - so I do know where they (all) are, and more. Despite rumours to the contrary, I do sometimes leave the gilded luxury within the M25, although admittedly it is quite rare. Be there not dragonnes out there? I don't always have my dragonne-banishing underpants on.

Although sure, if the same towerblock disaster were to happen in the distant lands of yore, I'm the first to admit I'd be unlikely to travel beyond the M25 just to have a look at some crusty old burnt out building full of allegedly illegal immigrants.

On Ridah's other salient point, I think people don't have too much trouble noticing that I am not the most politically correct person that ever lived. Shocked

Realistically if the same tower block burned down outside the M25 it would have been off the news within a day or two. Grenfell is important to the media because they can see it from their house. Leeds? Not so much. I doubt if my neighbours house burns down they'll get given a new one by the state, £500 cash, £5000 into their bank account, free legal aid, free temporary housing, showered with gifts and a free passport.

M.C wrote:

'We' generate a shit load of tax revenue, which gets spent on other parts of the country, so we're not given anything Rolling Eyes: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/07/london-top-taxpaying-city-uk-report

Let's look at that by borough shall we Wink

I reckon most of that money comes from Richmond, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster, Islington, Camden, and of course the City.

London sure does pay most of the tax, that's because they've got most of the jobs and investment whilst the rest of the country gets barely anything. The government pours money into London infrastructure, facilities, entertainments etc which encourages even more jobs and investment. It makes a lot of sense from a return on investment perspective but prioritising the 15% at the expense of the 85% is not a good long term way to run a country and creates a very real sense of angry outside the M25. This is also a major contributor to the Brexit vote. HS2 will accentuate this further sucking investment out of Birmingham and into London.

https://mirandustours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/BritishMuseumTour_External1-1230x400.jpg

London gets a megadome
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/DA9FKE/aerial-view-of-the-o2-arena-millennium-dome-london-with-canary-wharf-DA9FKE.jpg

The entire north of England got to share this crappy angel presumably made from spare materials in the dome construction project. Is anyone on here Northern? I bet you'd rather have had population share in domes rather than angel's right? London's millennium dome is 330m across, so the rest of the country should either have 5 domes the same size, or one big one 1.8KM across.

https://www.picturesofgateshead.co.uk/angel_of_the_north/angel30.jpg

London undergrounds n'th line.

https://www.arthuronline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CrossrailLine1Map.svg_.png
https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/write/MediaUploads/Elizabeth_Line_train.jpg

When should we expect work to start on the Bournemouth underground?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/13/c7/04/13c704c23ed63bf73a09c7c7e265896d.jpg

Most MPs live and work in London so London is massively over-represented in Parliament. Indeed London should probably share 2 or 3 MPs because they already get the use of their own and everyone else's. Most senior functions of government are also in London. So, rather unsurprisingly London gets first, second and third refusal on everything.

https://i.huffpost.com/gen/1439564/images/o-PARLIAMENT-NIGHT-facebook.jpg

Shipley, where is that? Shocked

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/640/cpsprodpb/45B3/production/_86434871_86434869.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I've heard of Shipley, its where the Manchester Shipley canal is.

Whistle
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Let's look at that by borough shall we Wink

I reckon most of that money comes from Richmond, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster, Islington, Camden, and of course the City.

London sure does pay most of the tax, that's because they've got most of the jobs and investment whilst the rest of the country gets barely anything. The government pours money into London infrastructure, facilities, entertainments etc which encourages even more jobs and investment. It makes a lot of sense from a return on investment perspective but prioritising the 15% at the expense of the 85% is not a good long term way to run a country and creates a very real sense of angry outside the M25. This is also a major contributor to the Brexit vote. HS2 will accentuate this further sucking investment out of Birmingham and into London.

Got most of the jobs or generates? Where would you invest, in infrastructure that actually generates revenue or spunk it away on doleys up north?

https://colresearch.typepad.com/colresearch/2014/11/what-does-london-contribute-.html wrote:
London is found to be making a major £34 billion positive net contribution to the UK public finances. The South East also makes a positive contribution – a £22 billion surplus – and the East of England is very slightly in positive territory at £181 million, but the rest of the UK’s 12 constituent countries and regions are in deficit. The largest estimated deficits are in the North West, Yorkshire and the Humber and Scotland. However, this is distorted by the size of the population; in relative terms the largest deficits are in Northern Ireland, Wales and the North East.

P.S. the millennium dome was shit. You can have it. And the bankers.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 09 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better, we don't actually want Crossrail.
That was Bloody Boris's idea.
In fact, it may even have been Red Ken's idea before him.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 16 of 37