Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towering Inferno

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:
Sure, until she realises it's a waste of time. She'd be better off working minimum wage locally.

I worked in London for 7 years and commuted in. It wasn't for the money, it was for the experience on my CV. Mind you, rent was also so cheap out of London, I didn't have to live with my Mum.

M.C wrote:
Do they now?

Yes, public sector in particular get a weighting on their London based salaries, which includes the street cleaners were talking about here.
The people I know in retail who work up in the smoke, also get around £5K more than if they worked locally. All of this is probably swallowed up by the extra train fare, but housing is reasonable priced and you can pop to the coast or the country at weekends, in a 15 minute drive.

All this "cleaners and bus drivers must live in central London" nonsense is just that. The rent is so much higher that most middle income workers can't afford it.
The entire excuse is held up by those sucking on the teat of the benefits system to justify their existence in an area, even hard working middle class people can't afford.

A second ago you said almost all London roles do? Do the Maths, I started on slightly over 18k, clearing £1250 p/m. So spending ~500 on rent then (using your figures) £120 p/w on travel's affordable? Even if you could somehow live on super noodles and sustain that, you could rent in London for the same money.

That's where social housing comes in, making it worth while for low-earners to actually work. Otherwise WTF would you bother? No way would anyone do what you propose, you're effectively working for the equivalent of JSA, and despite what you and Mr Borg think people don't work to avoid the shame of being unemployed (they do it to be better off).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:43 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
you could rent in London for the same money.

A cupboard under the stairs? A shed in someone's lounge? A cupboard under the stairs in a split-level shed in someone's lounge?

You keep mentioning Chas and Dave who have some sort of magical sweetheart rent deals, but can you find a private sector property with its own full size door actually for rent today within the Oystercard zone for under £500 a month all-in?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

A cupboard under the stairs? A shed in someone's lounge? A cupboard under the stairs in a split-level shed in someone's lounge?

You keep mentioning Chas and Dave who have some sort of magical sweetheart rent deals, but can you find a private sector property with its own full size door actually for rent today within the Oystercard zone for under £500 a month all-in?

How about keeping up with the conversation? Doh! Rent plus travel, living somewhere cheap(er) and commuting in doesn't save you money if it ends up costing the same. Pretty sure you made that point several pages ago.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:42 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

can you find a private sector property with its own full size door actually for rent today within the Oystercard zone for under £500 a month all-in?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So spending ~500 on rent then (using your figures) £120 p/w on travel's affordable? Even if you could somehow live on super noodles and sustain that, you could rent in London for the same money.

Quoted the whole thing and highlighted the important bits. Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does that help me? Eh?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously doesn't, don't worry you can cycle 50 miles, no need to worry about commuting costs Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/19/grenfell-death-toll-may-fall-fraudsters-have-invented-missing/

My ghast has been well and truly flabbered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly surprising. Most of the them are on the take, of course some were going to try and get the jackpot.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

My ghast has been well and truly flabbered.

I'm not surprised in the slightest. I reckon the large sums of cash that have supposedly been "stolen" by the fascist
authorities are just as real as the dreamt up relatives. FFS How many benefits claimants have large cash sums stashed
in their homes?? And if we play along and they actually do, then they're getting far too much given to them in the first place.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
FFS How many benefits claimants have large cash sums stashed
in their homes?? And if we play along and they actually do, then they're getting far too much given to them in the first place.

It's not the amount that the state gibs in hand outs, it's all the undeclared money from jobs on the side. Please think about these poor destitute refugees and the gorillions they've lost and gibs more.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:08 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imaginary babies deserve compo too.

It's gone a bit quiet. Can I take it that all the Gibs have been appeased with luxury flats or houses?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsnight contacted Ms Lamrani but she declined to be interviewed. "My memory of that night is fading… I don't want to talk about it," she said.

Such trauma; so tragedy, many nightmare.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You trying to imply that some of those residents have been LYING ??

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:55 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
You trying to imply that some of those residents have been LYING ??

Truth is a neo-colonial construct.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You actually believed it to begin with? Eh?

Rogerborg wrote:
It's gone a bit quiet. Can I take it that all the Gibs have been appeased with luxury flats or houses?

Still mostly in temp' accommodation AFAIK.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claimants gonna claim. (and claim and claim and claim and claim and claim and claim and claim)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

Still mostly holding off for a much higher level of prime property to be paid for by the state AFAIK.

If the charities coughed up too, each "survivor" would be getting a quarter mill in cash too.

More like making sure they don't get dumped on another sink estate and forgotten about. Are you not getting confused with the Manchester bombings anyway? [Interim] 20k apparently for Grenfell, minority lives are less valuable Wink

- £20,000 to the next of kin of those who died in the fire
- £10,000 to those hospitalised for a week or more
- £3,500 to those hospitalised for more than six hours

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40895134

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says in that link, that's an interim payment mate.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:06 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real winners are the crowdfunding websites who take 5% commision. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Says in that link, that's an interim payment mate.

Fairly certain I did as well Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:57 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I trust the honesty of social housing inhabitants to the same degree as my faith in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and men-friendly lesbians.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

I trust the honesty of social housing inhabitants to the same degree as my faith in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and men-friendly lesbians.

Don't see many politicians in council housing? 5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 23 of 37