Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towering Inferno

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

You actually believed it to begin with? Eh?

I trust the honesty of social housing inhabitants to the same degree as my faith in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and men-friendly lesbians.

On the ground want to get on TVs innit accounts are usually BS. Remember Jean Charles de Menezes vaulting the ticket barriers as he ran from police?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:15 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the council have been tracking this thread for ideas - they have started shipping out the Grenfellians.

Friend of mine rents out the 2 bed house she used to live in, and kept on when she bought another house. She's been letting it for about 8 years now with no bother whatsoever.

About 3 months ago the tenants in the house next door served notice and the landlord has decided to let it to the local council. The local council, in turn, have let it to Kensington council. They have now plonked in a 'tenant'.

Second generation Ghanaian, single female with 3 kids and by all accounts proper scuzzers.

My friend's tenants had complained to her about them asking if there's anything she can do to intervene as the back garden has turned into a rat fest because of all the crap (mattresses, cots and pushchairs left out in the rain) they've accumulated and apparently she has 'a lot of male visitors and unsociable hours'. There's also a strong smell of weed.. .

My friend then chases around calling the landlord that says he can't do anything so she phones local council who also can't do anything so she phones Grenfellian Alliance Council who couldn't really give a toss but said they'd have a word.

So they write them a letter saying there's a complaint from her neighbour at number XX. She now knows where the complaint has come from and all of a sudden there's a human shit appears overnight on top of the tenants child's trampoline Rolling Eyes

My friend's tenant is now no longer - they've served notice after nearly 5 years living there happily. Sure, new tenants are going to be lining up to get in there.... but then lining up to leave again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you recall how it was once thought that rehousing "problem" tenants in a nice neighbourhood would civilise them through the magic of peer pressure?

And all that happened was that decent people wanted nothing to do with unabashed amoral substance abusing relentless shrieking morons, and instead one bad apple would spoil the whole street.

Your chum's best bet is to house a thug who will knock slag spark out, without give second thought. And thus begins the slide.

At this point, social housing policy should be focussing on containment.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Do you recall how it was once thought that rehousing "problem" tenants in a nice neighbourhood would civilise them through the magic of peer pressure?

No? Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:04 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

No? Smile

Well, not hopeless cases like you and Jewlio, obviously. Razz

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Trolololol. Just wait until they move the knobbers up to Scotchland. Well, more of them anyway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:23 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Trolololol. Just wait until they move the knobbers up to Scotchland. Well, more of them anyway.

Butistan has already fallen.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Roger, word on the streets is that they prefer their fellow citizens a bit on the younger side.

'Syrian' shyster wrote:
I feel like I have one option now – to die here. Only die here, nothing else.”

Go right ahead. I suggest drowning as a cheap easy method to accomplish this.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:12 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
'Syrian' shyster wrote:
I feel like I have one option now – to die here. Only die here, nothing else.”

To be fair, you can't accuse him of not adopting the local culture pretty quickly.

I just hope he goes out like a Scotchman, griping and moaning, rather than in a more Fawkesian fashion.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the first person has been convicted for fraud for claiming everything he had, wife and son had been lost in the disaster, whereas none were true.
Been remanded in custody but might not be sentenced to prison. Can't remember his name and too lazy to google. Bert Smith maybe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolz.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41984732

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:39 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I can only hope that they get plenty of honest replies from decent working people.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
from decent working people.

Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific mention in budget.

£28m for Kensington and Chelsea council to provide counselling services and mental health support for victims of the Grenfell fire and for regeneration of surrounding area.

Such sads, many trauma.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Such sads, many trauma.

I guess civilised people would shrug off a relative being barbecued.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Specific mention in budget.

£28m for Kensington and Chelsea council to provide counselling services and mental health support for victims of the Grenfell fire and for regeneration of surrounding area.

Such sads, many trauma.

The magic money tree is in fruit again, praise the lord! Rolling Eyes

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's called the gimmedat tree.
PS How much can i have as i just realised my wife and 10 kids died in that fire. Srsly

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as bnp72 now has me on ignore, and we have generally the more sensible folk here, I thought this may be worth a read, even if it is fashionably late.

https://nearlylegal.co.uk/aftereffects/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:03 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs a tl;dr summary to confirm my decision to not waste my time reading it.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Snip>The myths

These have arisen, swirling around social media (and some newspapers, to their shame), repeated, retweeted, embroidered, because they feel right. They fit, they explain, without actually troubling anyone. The problem is that each myth hides real issues, inverts and simplifies what are the genuine, complex problems of social housing now.

"It is about profit before people" - No, Grenfell Tower was council owned and managed by an ALMO/Managing company that is a not for profit company. If you start extending this to contractors and sub-contractors you are into a land in which nobody at all may make a profit. This may or may not be a valid political philosophy, but it is not a very useful analysis of what has gone wrong. However, it is about money...

"The cladding was added to improve the view from luxury flats elsewhere in Kensington". This is nonsense, apparently derived from a standard, minor K&C planning policy element (CD63, if you want to look it up) which suggest that any development in or within sight of a conservation area should have any improvement (or not) in its external appearance considered. However, the perception of and attitude to social housing is a serious issue...

"The residents couldn't get legal aid to challenge the managers because of legal aid cuts". It is certainly true that large swathes of issues were taken out of scope of legal aid in the devastating LASPO cuts. But I can't see that this would have made any difference to what the residents were trying to do. There is no legal mechanism for tenants, social or private, to make landlords carry out the kind of inspection or changes that the residents wanted. (These were not repairs, not identified defects, but decisions about the management of the block and what should be done, and none of them obviously suitable for judicial review). There would have been no legal aid in any event because there was nothing that could be done by lawyers. The issue is not legal aid per se (though heaven knows that needs addressing), but the lack of any legal structure by which tenants could get the landlord or managers to address their concerns. Social landlords imposing their decisions (or lack thereof) on tenants is an issue.

"72 Tory MPs who are landlords voted against Corbyn's amendment to make housing fit for habitation". Yes, the Tories did vote out a Labour amendment to the then Housing and Planning Bill which would have provided a degree of accountability to tenants for property standards (above the existing repair obligations). In fact they did so twice. And it is not true, as one conservative MP who voted against firmly told me on twitter, that it would only have applied to private sector tenancies. It would have applied equally to social tenancies. But, while this clearly feels like it would have some connection to Grenfell, as one of the people involved in the original drafting of that amendment when it was Karen Buck MP's private members bill, I have to say it doesn't look, on the present evidence, as if it would have made a difference. (Oh, and Corbyn, quite literally, had nothing to do with it at the time). But, even if the 'fitness for habitation' amendment would not have made a difference at Grenfell, the lack of legal accountability of landlords to tenants for the condition and standards of properties is important.

So, what underlies the myths (and which they serve to hide by being easy but wrong responses) are: money; attitudes to social housing; and lack of legal mechanisms for tenants to have their concerns addressed and hold their landlords accountable on property standards and management....</Snip>

Other sections for your perusal are available on... Your perusal.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:51 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr summary needs a tl;dr summary.

Got a memepic? Something with a cat, maybe?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Needs a tl;dr summary to confirm my decision to not waste my time reading it.

If that was an hour video you know you'd get stuck in.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of sympathy for those lost and the injustice of it all. I just found that being eroded by the certain few (8 convicted IIRC?) trying to take compo advantage by claiming they'd lost loved ones in the fire.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:35 - 04 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
the injustice of it all

When your house that you've paid for, maintained and insured (or not) out of your own wages burns down, does the State step in, pay you compo, and rehome you wherever you fancy?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 24 of 37