Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

job interviews

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: job interviews Reply with quote

Bloody hate job interviews... and I have one in the morning.

Something I always find a bit of a tumbleweed is when I'm asked if I have any questions. I'm generally quite pragmatic and things I've wanted to find out, I've gleaned already by this point and am left with nothing but a reiteration.

Any of you have any advice for general stuff I should be asking that sounds thoughtful and intelligible?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a leading question about the working culture and let them ramble.

If you already have a decent idea what it actually is, then their veracity will be instructive. I was assured by one interviewer that they had an informal culture with good work-life-balance when I knew that they actually worked long hours and nobody dared to leave until their immediate boss had gone. That wasn't so much an issue (at the time and for the money) but I wasn't prepared to be flat out lied to about it.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them if they can provide two references from previous employees.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:31 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not ask either of the previous questions to be honest. Not if you want the job anyway.

I'd keep to questions that have factual answers, and things that aren't going to make you sound difficult. Don't ask a question that you already know the answer to, as it makes it look like you've not done your research. I've found that lots of companies deliberately don't mention something that would be considered a downside to the role. Some examples I've experienced personally include:

Arrow Exactly how much travel is expected of you
Arrow Exactly what is expected of you when doing out of hours on-call duties
Arrow Exactly how much responsibility you will have
Arrow How many times the company bonus scheme has actually paid out.

You can't ask those questions directly, but you can say things like "I'd like to ask for a bit more information on the bonus scheme?" or whatever. Make sure your question is as non confrontational as you can make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:36 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking a leading question about the working culture is confrontational?

Where do you wanna meet?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:03 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Asking a leading question about the working culture is confrontational?

Where do you wanna meet?

It's not going to tell you anything though is it? If they know you've seen aspects of the culture before, and they are forced to say it's all sunshine and roses, they might realise they don't want you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they ask you, why do you want to work there, ask them why do they work there. Cool

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:23 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it to be fair. If you have a question at the end then ask. if not. don't.
They'll have made their mind up by that point anyway

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like to ask, what the homeworking arrangements are, expected on call out of hours support & what's the staff turnover like.

I turned down a role, when I could see it had been re-advertised every couple of months or so, of course at the interview, I was told virtually nobody leaves, and that I'd be joining a highley skilled team which currently had 2 members..

Mmm, maths didn't work in their favour there, so, I cordially turned the role down.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:50 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
they are forced to say it's all sunshine and roses

They're not though, that's my point. If it'd been told honestly that it was fair pay for long hours, I'd have considered them. But I'd prefer not to work for someone who will look me in the eye and lie to me. It'll only go downhill from there.

Interviews really are a two way process, or I'd hope they are for OP.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: job interviews Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
Bloody hate job interviews... and I have one in the morning.

Something I always find a bit of a tumbleweed is when I'm asked if I have any questions.

Bit late now, hope it went well, but if you're stumped by this at the end of an interview then, "No, you've already answered some of my questions during the interview," is perfectly acceptable, fills the awkward silence and doesn't make you look foolish. (Assuming they did tell you some stuff about the job and the company. 'Course they did.)

I might also ask how/why the vacancy has arisen, although I was once told that the previous incumbent had finished his shift and then dropped dead in the car park...

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have previously asked the business owners (who were doing the interviewing for a small graphic design / printing company of 5 employees "where do you see the business being in 5 years time?"

He laughed, said he'd never been asked that question before and told me his vision for the company for the next 5 years.

Unfortunately I didn't get the job, Brexit was blamed.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:00 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any reservations with regards to my candidacy?
Give you the opportunity to address anything which they may have misunderstood or might need reiterating.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even better, OP. Fight club the whole interview. If you and the interviewer are the only people in the room, and there's no CCTV, do exactly what Edward Norton did, when they tried to fire him.

Like so: https://youtu.be/6pJC0FLA3Sk Razz

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always ask about career progression and professional development, unless it has been covered in the interview. Don't be afraid to write your questions down and pull them out of your pocket at the end if you've forgotten. If all of your questions have already been answered, then either think of a new one based on the interview content, or just be vocal about the fact that you had questions prepared but they've answered them sufficiently.

In my experience it's better to say the above than to pluck some dumb question out of the air; you don't want their lasting memory of you to be negative.

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:08 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely say if they've answered any questions you may have had – I find good interviewers tend to share the wanted information before you have the chance to ask anyway (ie: benefits, culture, bonus schemes, hours).

If you were looking for a question, find something on their website that you want to know more about. Depending on who's doing the interview, they do like to see you've done research by even visiting the website, and asking something relevant.

This is all a bit late, but hope the interview went well, anyway.

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two interviews recently and I actually felt much better saying; 'no, I really don't think I have, thanks for your time', than at the first one where I asked a question that I could easily have already looked the answer up online'.. Not sure why he said it was a good question :/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVp9rKF3hag

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the input dudes... got the job, so must have gone well Thumbs Up

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.

You were over thinking things. Most people try to overcomplicate interviews. Unless you're going for a top high flying job, most of the time the comany just want someone hard working, easy to get on with, reliable and of sound background. They will have more than likely made there mind up by halfway through the interview...and I can guarantee if by the end they'd decided you'd got it, they wouldn't change their mind just because you never asked a question back.

There are so many crappy people out there going for interviews that as long as you're a half decent person you'll always stand a chance, even if you don't necessarily have all the right attributes for the job in question.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best piece of advice that was given to me for an interview was to interview the person giving the interview just as much as they have interviewed you. It gives a good indication of how much you have researched the particular company that you want to work and how interested you are in the job.

If you're going to the interview and you're only interested in how much you're getting paid, then you don't really want that job, they'll know this too if you haven't got any questions to ask at all.

ಠ_ಠ

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ended up being more of they'd covered what I wanted to know, and the tour I'd had beforehand around the place had answered plenty in itself as well.

it's an odd one for asking about the company and stuff as it's the blood service, testing donated blood and managing a small number of underlings. same with progression, I'm already doing an extra degree in my own time outside of work to cover that progression, and they seemed enthused by that even if it meant I'd realistically only hold this position for a couple of years before moving up Thumbs Up in all, I think I nailed it

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:03 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking if you have answered all of their questions fully or if they want to know anything more about you might give you a second chance at something you've missed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1