BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DiRT 4

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: DiRT 4 Reply with quote

A short review of this game (PC). As you might now, lads from Codemasters decided to make a new Dirt game using a modified EGO engine, that the DiRT Rally (hard core sim Rally game) runs on. Although this is not a motorcycle game, I kind of feel like it is worth to say a few words about it, as we all grew up on the Colin McRae Rally / Dirt series.

As always, this game is very well optimised, even on a budget gaming PC (i5 6600, GTX1050Ti) the game runs at high settings @1080p at rock solid 60fps, regardless of what's going on on the screen. I haven't played the game on the PS4/Xbox one, but they say the game runs at solid 60fps (replay at 30fps) on those two as well, which is a good news. The game looks nice as well (PC) and there is also a good selection of cars and tracks/stages (you may even generate a stage).

Gameplay,
You may choose either ''Gamer'' or ''Simulation'' type of game.

Running the game in Simulation mode, the game feels very close to the DiRT Rally, even a bit more realistic/natural. I plugged in my Logitech wheel and the force feedback, the way various cars (FWD, RWD, AWD) on various surfaces feel is very nice. It really makes the game challenging and left foot braking is the only way to get from the start line to the finish line in one piece. The game does know the difference.

The Gamer mode is great for use with a gamepad (xbox 360 controller), this way the game feels like the very first Colin McRae: Dirt. A bit too easy, but still entertaining.

Racing wise, there is a simple carrer mode (create your own driver and team, make the car livery, pick sponsors...), which is fun and using the Simulation mode and wheel, turning all the aids off and popping the AI difficulty up, it gives you a good challenge. The Rally and Historic Rally being the most fun. Then there is the Rally cross and Land rush, which are not quite my cup of tea.
There is also the DiRT Academy, where you may either go free roaming on the compound or do some lessons and challenges.

Final score: 9/10.
*Worth the money and time

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was against this based on the lack of content, but from what I've seen it looks good. Quick question, do the cars feel similar in terms of wheel settings? What frustrated me about Dirt Rally was I could never find a set of FFB settings, you'd set them for one car and then drive another which would feel completely different.

Also Rallycross (AI) was quite hard, made me feel like a noob Razz Any thoughts on Your Stage?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:56 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing Dirt 3 a lot lately, and it's a good game but it's lacking the atmosphere of Colin McRae Dirt 2. I liked the idea of the dirt tour, and I liked the celebrity drivers interacting with you sometimes. It made me want to finish, but Dirt 3 is a bit 'meh' in that regard. Sure, it's realistic and looks nice, but it doesn't have as much soul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFB is pretty much the same as it was in the DiRT game, for me at least. The unpaved surfaces feel good, but the tarmac stages still feel odd, FFB wise. They did claim they worked on the FFB for tarmac stages, but I can't seem to feel the difference. The best FFB with my current wheel on PC, has the Project Cars, where the wheel really feels like it's conected to the wheels of the car.

The difficulty, well the most challenging thing in this game is to keep the car on the road, while trying to go as fast as possible, you are your own competitor (just like in the DiRT). But, the moment you switch the gameplay to ''Gamer'' mode, eventhough the AI difficulty is the same, the game gets far too easy and you're gonna end up first, or at least on the podium, in every single event. But, that doesn't mean the game isn't fun.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
FFB is pretty much the same as it was in the DiRT game, for me at least. The unpaved surfaces feel good, but the tarmac stages still feel odd, FFB wise. They did claim they worked on the FFB for tarmac stages, but I can't seem to feel the difference. The best FFB with my current wheel on PC, has the Project Cars, where the wheel really feels like it's conected to the wheels of the car.

Hmm, pCARS is the only other title with meh FFB for me. Part of the problem's that in beta testing they listened to some sperg who wanted a million settings, they've apparently simplified it for pCARS 2. Can't think of any other title I've failed to dial in FFB properly except for those two.

I'm on the fence again Smile Shame there isn't a demo.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts on Dirt 4: https://youtu.be/lY3BErUlYjg?t=1h1m1s This guy knows about driving in the dirt Smile

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the lad doesn't like the dust in the game. Very Happy

I did some more miles in the DiRT4, the carrer mode is still entertaining enough but I start to get annoyed with the loading times and AI. Most of the rally stages are very short and you get a loading screen between every single one of them, sometimes even several minutes long loading. The AI's performance is somehow unpredictible.

Sometimes you drive as fast as it is possible, make no mistakes, yet you barelly make it to the top 5. Other times you just crash the car a lot and end up winning the stage anyway.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 29 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if what he's saying's true, and they've broken the gravel stages, with the broken tarmac physics that leaves what? Razz
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 253 days between these two posts...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a cheap copy today. First impressions are pretty good, although there's something odd about the tarmac physics. It feels like the car is over-rotating, which's normally a symptom of more arcadey games that are designed to be used with a pad. It's really noticeable in rallycross with the gravel/tarmac transitions.

However on the loose stuff it's good fun. I really like the historic mini, it reminds me of Rally Trophy. The randomly generated stages aren't as much of an issue as I thought they would be, but you're right the AI are unpredictable. I won one by 15 seconds, then on another I needed 4-5 attempts to win the stage, although they seemed to be doing the Forza thing where they have just one strong driver (I kept coming second).

So far I'm enjoying it a lot more than Dirt Rally, which felt very beta. The lack of content will probably be an issue in terms of longevity.

P.S. the dust does look shit Smile

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is an old thread but did anyone ever play Mobil 1 Rally Championship on the PC

I wish this would be remade with proper long tracks again

before this game my favourite was Network Q RAC Rally Championship

Both look very dated now but still great to play
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1