Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Memory foam matteress

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:13 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Memory foam matteress Reply with quote

early morning TV seems awash with theses....
plus our mattress is due replacing.

are these new ones as good as the TV is making out.

any recommendations for a specific brand ?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Memory foam matteress Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

We found it too hot in warm weather and you can't use an electric blanket when its cold.
Also it's more difficult to turn over and move normally without waking up.
Others get on well with them, worth trying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places offer a 100 night sleep guarantee, just make sure you read t&c's

We got a sleeping duck mattress which is from an Australian company I believe.

There's also eve and simba, definitely worth trying, but like doggone says you'll either get on with it or not.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Memory foam matteress Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:

We found it too hot in warm weather and you can't use an electric blanket when its cold.
Also it's more difficult to turn over and move normally without waking up.
Others get on well with them, worth trying.

This +1.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy standard mattress.

Buy memory foam mattress topper. 👍

If it's good enough for posh hotels... it's good enough for me. It's ace..

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:17 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too hot. Glad I got shot of mine. Anything 20+ during day meant a fucking furnace night and fans would need to be on to be barely comfy.

Topper for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pocket sprung mattress with a spring count >2000 and a memory foam topper is the most comfortable in my opinion. Or a hammock.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog likes his Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current bed uses a thin layer of memory foam on top of a high quality mattress (as part of the construction of the mattress). It is the most comfortable thing for my bad back that I've ever tried, well happy with it. However, I agree that it is very warm stuff. A thin layer isn't so bad though. I tried a thick memory foam mattress before, and also agree that with a thick layer, it's hard to adjust your position.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Memory foam matteress Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

Falling apart or has it reached some arbitrary number? Razz I tried one, didn't like it personally. Was hoping it would help my back but noticed no difference compared to a 30+ year old (firm) horsehair mattress.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that the way I turn around in bed - by arching my back like a banana, balanced on the back of my head and my heels, then swinging my shoulders around without them touching the mattress, so that I'm chest down on the other side - takes far more effort on a memory foam mattress, and I ended up with neck pain for the first few months, before my sleeping brain learned different ways of turning.

The mattress feels a bit like how you'd imagine quicksand or similar. It absorbs movement. If you want to be "active" on your bed, it'll fight you all the way.

OTOH, if you can sleep on your back without trying to inhale your tongue or waking yourself up from snoring, it's probably the most comfortable thing. I don't mind the heat either, but I'm very insensitive to heat compared to most people I work with (it's cold I don't like - I hate a/c in the office).

Overall, it was a neutral to net negative purchase for me.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:46 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hybrid spring/memory foam mattress. It's the best of both worlds and I sleep very well. If anything its a little on the firm side, but I can sleep which is the main thing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a sweater, then avoid like the plague. The one on my single bed at my my mums when I still lived there
went mouldy because it couldn't dry out enough between each of my teenage hormonal night sweats, and before
long I'd almost burned my way through it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
If you're a sweater, then avoid like the plague. The one on my single bed at my my mums when I still lived there
went mouldy because it couldn't dry out enough between each of my teenage hormonal night sweats, and before
long I'd almost burned my way through it.

What I read from that's masturbated a lot and dissolved the mattress with my spunk Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried a lot of beds in our recent replacement search and we were prepared to pay big bucks for a Tempur set up.
The last port of call, Carpetright, revealed the perfect solution for both of us.
https://www.carpetright.co.uk/beds/divans/comfortgel-hybrid-3000-bed-4

I had my heart set on a decent memory foam bed but im glad we went with this as neither of us has had a bad night's sleep since its arrival. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What I read from that's masturbated a lot and dissolved the mattress with my spunk Laughing

I'm not a fucking animal, that's what socks are for. I am and always have been a sweaty bastard though.
Took the dog to the vets today and it was pouring off me in the surgery. I'm expecting a sweaty night tonight as well
because during todays 4 hour dog walk I got a bit sunburnt, I have the full red neck and arms look going on right now.
I went out for a hoon this evening in a mesh jacket and it was lush being wind cooled for a few hours, now I'm
home again I feel warm and quite uncomfortable. Crying or Very sad I'm on my third t shirt of the day.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:57 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had memory foam mattress for about 15 years now. I find that they get too soft after a few months of use, but I also don't like spring mattress as they are even softer.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:30 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the replys.

So a topper seems like a good idea to start with.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.

Memory foam mattress' are only too hot if you buy cheap ones (i.e. not proper memory foam)

For 10+ years I had a tempur one at my parents house.. was silly expensive (like £1500 I'm told) but it was damn good.

I obviously didn't want to spend that when I bought my own house and tried a few. The best compromise seems to be the 'most' expensive cheaper ones.

I'm currently using a dreams readymatt. It's something like supreme or whatever the top one was. £300 ish.

It's a little warmer than my tempur but not annoyingly so.

Personally I love them. I like a firm mattress and as I sleep on my side the fact my hip sinks in comfortably holding me on my side (I don't need to brace myself to stop from rolling over) is great.

Some people like them, some don't. Only thing I can say is go to a showroom and go lay on a few.. Just don't do what most do and lie completely alien to how you'd actually sleep. Get comfy, roll about, make a pillow fort.. you know.. the usual.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
Memory foam mattress' are only too hot if you buy cheap ones (i.e. not proper memory foam)

For 10+ years I had a tempur one at my parents house.. was silly expensive (like £1500 I'm told) but it was damn good.

We have two 90x200cm Tempur mattresses side by side on a superking frame. Cost was about £2700. They are warm, make no mistake. Our bedroom is on the second floor of our townhouse, which means in warm weather it's hot - there's a substantial climate difference between each floor. My GF finds the mattress a bit too hot right now, but I don't mind it. OTOH my GF finds her mattress very comfortable, whereas I'd prefer something softer yet springier.

I may yet swap out my mattress for something else, if I can find a decent choice with the same height.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had all sorts for the bad back, memory foam was probably the worst. Current mattress is an expensive hypnos with a built in topper. Like sleeping on a layer of unicorn farts, lovely.

OGR

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one and it's fuckin' great.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:04 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a cheap memory foam topper from that Argos for a grand sum of 27 earth squids.

its clear now what people talk about when they discuss support and pressure points.

its still a bit of a new sensation, but i think its a good thing.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife got on online memory foam, pocket do-rag.
Around abouts £200.
1700 or 2000'ish something pockety stuffs?

Thing comes vaccumb packed, 15-20 cm thick, upen it up and it sucks in plenty of air to almost double the thickness of your average traditional mattress.
Cannot put my finger on it but it's the most unbelievably comfortable thing in the world. Kicking myself for not getting one 10 years earlier!!

Not had a bad nights rest in the year or so since we got it.

Firm yet 'sinkable' if that makes sense. When this one's shot, going to aim for the same...

Not sure if we were just not paying attention but we've got an electric under blankety thing on ours, have had all winter. Still comfy and Not dead yet?

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:53 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one recently (Simba), it's fairly pricey but we love the thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2