Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

motorcycle overheating

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: motorcycle overheating Reply with quote

Suzuki GSR600 2006

I have just changed the headgasket and changed the thermostat. My bike overheats where boiling coolant goes to the overflow tank and spits out on the floor. The temp gauge showed 60 celcius when this happened. There is also no sign of white smoke or contaminated oil/coolant. I have also bled the coolant system.

Any ideas?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it boiling / steaming ?
Why did you change the head gasket and thermostat?
Have you run the cold engine on idle/tickover with the radiator cap off for any air to come out?

Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Is it boiling / steaming ?
Why did you change the head gasket and thermostat?
Have you run the cold engine on idle/tickover with the radiator cap off for any air to come out?

I bought the bike as a repair object and the head was bent due to bad thermostat, the head was fixed at a machine shop. I have tested the old thermostat and it opened too slow. Yes I have ran the engine with the cap off. It is definitly boiling, you can hear it boiling loudly in the overflow and it spits out coolant all over the floor. What I find weird is that the temp gauge shows 60celcius?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator cap and/or seat ok? Have you heard the fan kick in yet?
It could be a very weak mixture as well.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked the pump function ?
I also check temp gauge accuracy with an IR thermometer.,
Just cos it says one thing doesn't make it true and any indicated temp
however accurate is only in the region of the sender unit.

I assume they skimmed the head?
was it checked for straightness and cracks after?
Does the fan cut in OK?
Assembly error?
FOD on new gasket?
Cracked bore?

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:07 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the head was fixed at a machine shop.

Reckon this is where your problem is bud, sorry to say. The head may not be true, or the gasket not sealing properly due the the head. Either way it's gonna have to come off again.

As some have already commented, it could be you have an air lock in the system. So this is definitely worth a look again. Drain it, then top up slowly to half recommended using the correct anti-freeze mix. Start the engine, and continue topping up slowly till you reach the Max level.

Water pump "may" be worth considering, but if it was functioning okay prior, it should be okay now.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bet from what you describe would be a circulation problem, airlocked or waterpump. You should be able to tell by checking the hoses in and out of the radiator, are they hot and cold.

If it is the head I would expect some kid of contamination. It will be cylinder combustion pressure blowing into the water chambers.

Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i have flushed the radiator, checked the waterpump, tried running it without thermostat, compression test, made sure it is properly bled and flushed the system several times with radiator flush. I also have a spare temp sensor which acts the same as the old one. I have tried connecting the fan directly to the battery and it spins. I also checked the oil for contamination.

I was reading in the manual where it says: NOTE:
As coolant temperature rises, the cooling fan operates for 5 seconds
when the temperature arrives each at 50 °C, 70 °C and 90
°C.

The temp gauge have only reached 60C before boiling but the fan didn't run at 50C. I have checked connections and fuses. What about the relay? Things are getting beyond my knowledge here. All the hoses seem to have the same temperature too.

This is only at idle btw, I haven't tried to ride it

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely lack of water circulation. The engine is getting hot, water around the engine is getting hot. Water by the temp sensor, fan cut in and radiator isn't so showing a low tamp and fan not cutting in.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

770 wrote:
Now i have flushed the radiator, checked the waterpump, tried running it without thermostat, compression test, made sure it is properly bled and flushed the system several times with radiator flush. I also have a spare temp sensor which acts the same as the old one. I have tried connecting the fan directly to the battery and it spins. I also checked the oil for contamination.

I was reading in the manual where it says: NOTE:
As coolant temperature rises, the cooling fan operates for 5 seconds
when the temperature arrives each at 50 °C, 70 °C and 90
°C.

The temp gauge have only reached 60C before boiling but the fan didn't run at 50C. I have checked connections and fuses. What about the relay? Things are getting beyond my knowledge here. All the hoses seem to have the same temperature too.

This is only at idle btw, I haven't tried to ride it

Boiling or overflowing?

Boiling could be no circulation so coolant in the jacket gets hotter and hotter
Overflowing could be a system getting pressurised by a leaky gasket
or cracked head.
You wont necessarily see it effect the compression much unless you do a leak down

The temp gauge sensors are often around the thermostat so if your gauge is correct then at 60C it cant be boiling, you need 40 more Cs
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1