Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

show your garage/workshop setups

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: show your garage/workshop setups Reply with quote

we're moving house shortly and I'll have a garage again, one house we saw had a really nice bench and storage setup with a little leathers wardrobe bit at the end all built in nicely with ply.

it's got me planning what to do in our new garage, and wondered what sort of setups you dudes have...

anyone care to share pics?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I like this thread idea (Performance Bikes magazine does something similar) but it's like saying here's stuff worth nicking. Still, it's a fairly obscure, secure location and I've recently given it a lot of thought, so...

The first picture was my set up before I had to move to a smaller garage without 'leccy or light. It was good enough for a wheels/swing arm/bodywork-off refurb on an Abba Stand after a long period of disuse and outside storage. You can see a Halfords tool cabinet and chest (discounted around New Year) which brought order to the previous random, scattered collection of tool boxes. On each side of it there is 4-shelf steel racking from B&Q. One contains mostly LPs, the other has cleaning products and power tools. The small workbench at the back consisted of a wooden board on a zig-zag style, folding ladder. There is a good DeLonghi oil-filled, portable electric heater but I never used it in the garage. If it was too cold I didn't work, which is why the refurb took so long. There was space behind the Kawasaki for the R1 to park.

I've since had to move to a slightly smaller place but the Kawasaki is no longer static, its ready to go. I've kept the front of the new garage (second picture) clear so the two bikes can park side by side, although this does mean everything else gets pushed to the back wall. I bought a 'Halfords Jump starter with USB Socket, Inverter and Tyre Inflator' as a partial workaround for the lack of mains electricity. I've used it with a charger to top up the bike battery in-situ. I've also got two rechargeable LED workshop lamps. I'd love a project but I don't have the space so I don't expect to do much more than chain lubing here. I've put long-term storage items into the rafters on white-faced fibre boards to reflect a bit of light downwards. Two bicycles hang close to the walls, hooked over the rafters by their seats. I've put workshop hooks up where the roof meets the walls so I can keep a broom, ladder (damn, looks like I've boxed it in), buckets and an electric lawnmower all accessible while maximising precious floor space. Paddock stands hook onto the top of the wall or over rafters. I was pretty tough in my clearout during this latest house move but the garage still needs more de-cluttering.

Lastly, I have a 'Ltl Acorn' camera-trap which can transmit images to my phone in lieu of hard-wired CCTV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:54 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those townhouse type places, so my garage is L-shaped. I don't currently have photos of it that explains what I'm describing all that well (plus it needs some serious tidying, so photos won't appear for another day or so), but I'll give it a shot.
Opening the roller shutter, the bikes are arranged across the front of the garage facing out. One the left wall I've got a disassembled bike trailer hanging up. Behind the bikes is the wider bay that has the metalworking kit (lathe, mill, workbench, bandsaw and grinder from left to right). However, at the moment it's full of crap from clearing out my flat, so not the most usable of spaces.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big pics inbound alert!

My mancave, well half of it. Finished the main build earlier this year, took me a good few months from the ground up after flattening a shitty old asbestos thing. The other half goes another 12ft back behind the far wall and is just racked out 'storage'. It's a work in progress, looks a bit spartan just now needs more titty calendars and other manly things but it's functional.

The red plate on the floor is 5mm plate diamond steel to take the load of the Abba Skylift without going through the floor. The VFR is also sat on a spinning turntable I welded up and has room to do a full 360 degree spin which is great for ride-in ride-out every day. The whole building is raised on a 2x4 frame and veintilated underneath into the workshop with fan ventilation pulling through. Aircon is a blessing and it also has automatic dehumidifying (everything is on wifi plugs and controlled though 'internet of things' type recipes to balance the inside atmosphere and keep it warm and dry)

Fully insulated with 50mm Kingspan throughout and automatic oil heating so nice and toasty in winter. Still a lot to do though; at some stage I'll plumb in a sink and cold water tap since the building sits over the sewer run. Needs more ventilation (!) so I'm thinking of some Velux windows. Want to do more nifty storage racking above with the trusses. Yet to finish insulating and lining the doors, must get it finished before winter.

Oh and before anyone asks, the chain on the VFR goes down through the floor into a rather 'custom' ground anchor setup in the concrete base underneath. Suffice to say it's not coming out....ever.
https://i.imgur.com/XaHiqXf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dXthfEq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/foFJwL6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZKtwH5c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rey8VFD.jpg

Last edited by ADSrox0r on 20:43 - 18 Jun 2017; edited 2 times in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to add, unless the clothing locker in the garage was hermetically sealed I'd be thinking about spiders every time I togged up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I meant to add, unless the clothing locker in the garage was hermetically sealed I'd be thinking about spiders every time I togged up.

I let off 'bug grenades' every few months in mine, keeps the little bastards from getting a foothold.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

I let off 'bug grenades' every few months in mine, keeps the little bastards from getting a foothold.

Please elaborate. What is a bug grenade?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Please elaborate. What is a bug grenade?

Insect foggers, work a treat. My old garage had an infestation of those false widow shits. Deaded 'em good and proper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EHKKSV0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same, garage for tools and bikes.

House for kit.

Spider at 90 = definite crash. 😳

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis a nice set up you have there ADSrox0r, Good work.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r that area is so clean Shocked Cool

Very good work. Mine is constantly littered with tea cups, beer cans and despite having tool storage the tools like yours they almost never make it back

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/rey8VFD.jpg

Very nice, but don't your tyres get lots of little stones stuck in them?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Very nice, but don't your tyres get lots of little stones stuck in them?

To a degree yes, but never such that it causes a problem.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:18 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r
D: Your garage is way too clean... *throws dust oil and paint everywhere splashing EVERYTHING!

Thats better Very Happy

btw I have garage envy now... First it was bike envy now garage envy...

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:22 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 1 foot each side of my car in my garage - and I still somehow manage to work on the Scoob. Looking to buy a house with a big enough garage for a car lift in it. Too much to hope perhaps? Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:00 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got decent height; I like to build a large shelf/mezzanine above bike height at the back of the garage. Means you can have loads of stuff stored above the bikes; keeping the front half of the garage for workshop duties.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
I have about 1 foot each side of my car in my garage - and I still somehow manage to work on the Scoob. Looking to buy a house with a big enough garage for a car lift in it. Too much to hope perhaps? Very Happy

I dunno how you manage that? I've got about 18'' either side of my Rover tomcat when it's parked central. I can't work on it as I've got shelving and racking all around it and a fuck off huge wooden bench at the back with a sink next to it.

My drive slopes, and I'm desperate for a car lift as I need to finish it off and get it back on the road. Saved money for years to revamp the car, and I've still got it stuck in the garage annoying me. I need a local lock up with a car lift and then I'd be sorted. I'd keep it under a cover outside then in the winter, and I'd have a nice garage then to fix and rebuild my bikes in and any other strays I bring home.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:33 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine which as usual is a complete mess, I have a burst of enthusiasm every few months and tidy it up but it only stays like it for a week at most Embarassed

https://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w445/JPee83/20170619_211224_zpsqh4bxq6t.jpg

https://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w445/JPee83/20170619_211252_zps6kavibvf.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:43 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is somewhere between JonE and ADSrox0r. Rather not post the actual pics... just in case.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:04 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Mine is somewhere between JonE and ADSrox0r. Rather not post the actual pics... just in case.

Draw a picture in Paint then?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:31 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/garagepaint.jpg

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:00 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Mawsley wrote:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/garagepaint.jpg

I assume the bike in the middle is the Buell Very Happy

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:03 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a work in progress. Needs painting and something on the floor.
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/DavidHNR/021_zpsrgsnvgrx.jpg

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:31 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I dunno how you manage that? I've got about 18'' either side of my Rover tomcat when it's parked central. I can't work on it as I've got shelving and racking all around it and a fuck off huge wooden bench at the back with a sink next to it.

My drive slopes, and I'm desperate for a car lift as I need to finish it off and get it back on the road. Saved money for years to revamp the car, and I've still got it stuck in the garage annoying me. I need a local lock up with a car lift and then I'd be sorted. I'd keep it under a cover outside then in the winter, and I'd have a nice garage then to fix and rebuild my bikes in and any other strays I bring home.

It just takes twice as long to do anything as would with room/space around the car. Taking a door/front wing off is painful, and involves a lot of fidgety spanner work, since I cant open the door fully to expose the bolt heads! It's currently on 4 axle stands with new front hubs going on this weekend!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine looks quite similar to this at the moment Sad

https://uploads.justpark.com/media/uploaded/listing-photos/5553788401706-normal.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3