Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Toolkits

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
IVIatt96 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

something I was advised of a long time ago was not to buy a big set that costs lots of money, but rather start with a basic set of spanners/sockets... and simply buy decent quality tools as you find a need for them.

it's a philosophy that has served me well and now I'm fairly well stocked and it's all better kit than if I'd blown my cash on a big set of shit at the start.

halfords advanced/professional stuff is very good and has the same spec warranty as snap-on... ie. if it ever breaks, you just walk into halfords and show it to them and they'll hand you a new one no fuss, don't even need a receipt.

I've got a socket set I've had for about 15 years made by Deltec. They also claimed to have a lifetime warranty, but as I didn't have proof of purchase when the ratchet gave up, that was replaced with a halfords professional one, but the sockets themselves are excellent so I'd still recommend Deltec.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:43 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Ocatoro with a caveat that I don't apply "buy cheap, buy twice" to most tools. When it comes to tools I buy cheap, and if I use it enough to ever need a replacement I spend the money on a decent one.

No point having a dog's bollocks tool that cost a hundred quid and you're only ever going to use twice.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:

No point having a dog's bollocks tool that cost a hundred quid and you're only ever going to use twice.

Depends on the job. Many a time I've cheaped out and buggered the job with a Chinesium tool when if I'd ponied up for a decent one I'd be smoking a cigar admiring my handy work instead.

These days a lot of my toolbox has a mixture of Halfords 'Pro' stuff, a smattering of Snap-On, a dash of Teng and a sprinkling of Laser wotnots. I have a drawer full of stuff 'acquired' from the rigs including various spanners that have seen the angry end of a hammer and laughed it off.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy cheap, buy twice does depend on the tool. The most effective filter wrench I've ever used cost me £2 in Lidl. Others have slipped, squashed the filter or just not fit, but that spur of the moment purchase has never let me down. I've got a set of lidl spanners for house diy jobs when I don't want to go down to the garage to get the good ones. They work well enough and I'm not worried about giving them some abuse.
They're not the best quality, but actually not that bad.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:09 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind buying cheap if the tool works correctly, but it merely light duty, afterall it's for occasional home use.

I hate cheap tools that simply dont work or fit correctly.

Like others here, Halfords Pro/Advanced bought with a trade card is always good, as is Draper Expert for a lot of more random stuff. Buy as you need it, or when the offer is too good to be true.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:53 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought of tools as investments. The money I've saved over the years in not paying someone else to do the work has paid for any tools I've ever bought many times over.

How much I spend on tools depends on it's application. The last thing I need is a stripped cylinder head so I've got a quality torque wrench that's mainly used when refitting cam shafts when adjusting valve clearances. Quality tyre levers and a decent bead breaker make tyre changing so much easier.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Toolkits Reply with quote

IVIatt96 wrote:
I don't need a tool set suitable for a garage or anything like that, just something thats going to come in handy for the DIY jobs.

What do you mean 'suitable for a garage' - is that automotive tools in general? Are you actually after tools for looking after a motorbike (as everyone's assuming) or DIY jobs around the house?

madcow87
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:48 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do odds and sods on cars, both my own and for friends/family and I do a lot of work on push bikes for myself and friends as well, years ago I picked up a tool chest complete with tools from Halfords for £50 and its done me pretty well ever since. I got lucky and a friend was a car mechanic and when he packed that job in, he unloaded a few bits and pieces my way so I've got a nice Blu-Point socket set and some snap on bits as well.

I'm continually impressed how decent the Halfords gear is though, several years later and its still going strong, the ratchets admittedly have got a bit worn but the spanners, screw drivers, pliers, allen keys are all still solid and the sockets are all doing pretty well too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1