Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyres for a MTB

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Tyres for a MTB Reply with quote

Hello, the time has come and I need some tyres for my bicycle. The the current tyres say 26 x 1.9 to fit HB-575 rim.

My issue is, when I try to look for what the tyres say, it show me next to no search results and definitely nothing I could buy in Czech republic. However, when I search for 26 x 1.9 the google gives me quite a few options.Then I have no idea if it would fit my rims, though.

How do you buy tyres for bicycles? The rims are about 58cm / 22.83inch diameter. I'd say solid 23inch. Yes, I could just take the front wheel off and bring it to my local bicycle parts shop, but that wouldn't statisfy my curiosity. Also, there are some very tempting deals online.

There is a local vendor, who gives 49% OFF, on various Continental 26x1,90" tyres. I'd get some right now, if I knew they would fit my rims. Thinking

Thank you for any input,

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:08 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike tyre sizes are a mine field.

My 27" wheels are bigger than my Friends 29" wheels and the wheels on my 26" mountain bike are smaller than my Missus 26" touring bike.

However you are talking about probably the most common size. The modern 26".

You can probably get away with anything from 1.5x2.5 on your wheel. The limiting factor on the upper size will be the fork width.

I think I have 1.9's on my mountain bike I prefer thinner tyres. I like Michelins. I have Country Trail and Country Mud tyres and change them as needed. As I recall they were under £10 a tyre.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Sheldon is useful in this, don't get confused though most of those sizes are rare and not what you are asking about. Yours will be the decimal 26", 559mm.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^What he said^^^

An additional factor is the ETRTO size, which is universally-applied across all wheels and is the actual diameter of the wheel rim, in mm - it is often not quoted or referenced though. If you're interested in the minefield of tyre sizes, this is a good, but lengthy read.

That said, you have a 26" wheel/tyre which is very common, so just go looking for any tyre with a 26" fitment. The second part of the number is the nominal width, in inches. Get a wider one for more volume which can offer more comfort and lower tyre pressures. Get a narrower one for more speed.

I think my 26er runs 2.1" tyres. My 29er is on 2.25 and 2.3" tyres (you don't have to match front and back - my front is a touch wider than the back).

If you are happy with what you have, get more that size.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thank you lads. Thumbs Up

One more thing, do I understand this right that not all the inner tubes are equal? Meaing, I'm gonna have to use smaller inner tubes if I decide to go with narrower tyres and vice versa?

I'm quite indecisive. I'd like to try some narrow road tyres, as I do most of my miles on paved roads, but then sometimes I do some unpaved roads as well (mud/gravel).

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner tubes are suitable over a range of sizes. You may need smaller tubes if you go quite narrow though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:57 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Tyres for a MTB Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Hello, the time has come and I need some tyres for my bicycle. The the current tyres say 26 x 1.9 to fit HB-575 rim.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/107spm/help_with_tire_sizing/

To make this all much simpler, you could tell us what tyres are currently fitted. Wink

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Tyres for a MTB Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/107spm/help_with_tire_sizing/

To make this all much simpler, you could tell us what tyres are currently fitted. Wink

Ritchey Speedmax, says so on the side walls.

These:
https://u.cubeupload.com/M83e52.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1