Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Incorrect MOT fail - any recourse?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

eshroom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:52 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Incorrect MOT fail - any recourse? Reply with quote

Hi,

I had my bike MOT'd today and it came back with wheel bearing failure and "DANGEROUS".

Took it to a mate's garage (he doesn't do MOTs) and he took one look and identified it as a earbox issue and not an MOT failable issue.

He's fixing it, do I have any comeback with the garage that failed me? My main issue isn't the £10 to retest but the "DANGEROUS" advisory. I want to sell in a few months and it won't look good.

My mate was less that complementary about the garage. He showed me how there was no play in the wheel and it turned perfectly smoothly so the noise they identified coming from the rear wheel could not be from the bearings.

Thanks.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Incorrect MOT fail - any recourse? Reply with quote

eshroom wrote:
Hi,

I had my bike MOT'd today and it came back with wheel bearing failure and "DANGEROUS".

Took it to a mate's garage (he doesn't do MOTs) and he took one look and identified it as a earbox issue and not an MOT failable issue.

He's fixing it, do I have any comeback with the garage that failed me? My main issue isn't the £10 to retest but the "DANGEROUS" advisory. I want to sell in a few months and it won't look good.

My mate was less that complementary about the garage. He showed me how there was no play in the wheel and it turned perfectly smoothly so the noise they identified coming from the rear wheel could not be from the bearings.

Thanks.

Surely if it was shown as a failure, and subsequently fixed and given a clean bill of health, why would it then show up as an advisory

If it's fixed, it's fixed, shouldn't put off any buyer surely

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:07 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:05 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to complain then stop the repairs now, if he fixes it or there are obvious signs of disassembly then it's going to ruin your appeal.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an issue (even though they got it wrong and it wasn't dangerous) but now it's sorted.
Passing the MOT means it's no longer dangerous anyway.
Don't use that MOT place again, and move on.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:25 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Incorrect MOT fail - any recourse? Reply with quote

eshroom wrote:
My main issue isn't the £10 to retest

Sounds like a shit place, free for me within 14 days, that MOT guy needs to lose some business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Incorrect MOT fail - any recourse? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Sounds like a shit place, free for me within 14 days, that MOT guy needs to lose some business.

I thought everywhere did that Shocked

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retests are within 10 Working days. Just get it retested and don't use them again, or print off a VT17 form and appeal. Problem is if you have already carried out repairs you are fucked.
I had an issue with a class 7 mot the other day failing for an inoperative steering lock. Even when i pointed out that its a pass an advise the cunt still wouldn't pass it. Some people are just cunts, if you find a good mot place stay loyal to them. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1