Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RS125 2008 not starting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
mwr_allen This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: RS125 2008 not starting Reply with quote

mwr_allen wrote:
there is compression from the piston

Do you know how much compression? (if you haven't got a compression tester, take the plug out, put your thumb over the hole, press down as hard as possible and hit the electric start - it should blow air etc past your thumb easily)

Also..after trying to start it, is the plug wet or dry?

Try a new plug too.

mwr_allen
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:48 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I've taken the plug out and checked compression and it's good, I've put a new plug in, I've taken out the carb, cleaned and blown through all jets and inlets, taken out the reed block and checked reeds which seem to be clean and fine, after talking to my local mechanic on the phone while everything was in place I removed the main jet from the bottom of the carb and tried turning over the engine with the main jet bolt removed and its dry, no fuel coming into the float bowl at all so it would seem that there's no fuel getting into the carb although the fuel pipe is fine and pumps out fuel when disconnected from the carb and try to turn over.
The old plug was a bit dirty and oily when I removed it yesterday.
I'm at a complete loss as to what the problem is.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:26 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compression is registered in psi. Not on a 'good' rating Wink

What actual pressure is it at. If it was grumbling and it's not had a rebuild in a few thousand or its sat for months best get your wallet out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mwr_allen
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:13 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I do not have a compression tester although when I put my thumb on the spark plug hole and try to turn it over it blasted my thumb off with some force.
Just on the carb float bowl side of things, it should be getting fuel into it correct? As at the moment it's not getting fuel in there at all.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:15 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fuel should go into the carb.

I'd suggest getting a tester, its key on an RS.

I'd probably suggest checking the fuel is actually coming out of the tank, then cleaning the carb and making sure all is clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mwr_allen
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:12 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I will get a tester soon.
I have had the carb apart and cleaned, the vacuum seems to be working as I took the fuel pipe off the carb and when I turn the bike over a little it pumps fresh fuel straight out.
Where the fuel pipe goes into the carb, when I blow on the inlet I can't blow through it unless I push the floats up on the bottom of the carb, the mechanic I spoke to on the phone suggested getting a syringe with some fuel in and forcing some fuel into that inlet while the carb is intact and on the bike to get some fuel into the float bowl and at least try to get it to bite when turning it over and it might clear any unseen blockage.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:35 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like hope and dreams.

Fuel goes into the carb with ease, when it gets to the maximum, the needle closes up the hole.

I'd suggest whipping it off again and checking that the whole for fuel is clear and the needle is seated correctly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1