Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My nsr 125 piston and barrel, please opinions!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

david451
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:30 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: My nsr 125 piston and barrel, please opinions! Reply with quote

Hi, i stripped out my nsr barrel for first time, i bought the bike used and it has 42k km, didnt know what maintenance it had so i wanted to see the barrel and piston myself. The barrel is a "D" while the piston has a "B" and 53.970 numbers on the top.

So, here are some questions, is this an original honda piston? shoudnt it have a "D" piston at least? is it risky to have a "B" in a "D" barrel?

Neither the piston or barrel have breakages or scratches,the rings are not glued either, since i dont know what else to look im asking for some experts opinions, how does this look to you guys?

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cylinder looks fine, you could probably get away with new rings.

Not sure on the exact sizes but you should be able to find the piston sizes in the manual, I'd say it's okay to fit a smaller one than you're supposed to but any bigger and you're likely to fuck up the barrel.

Get someone with a micrometer to check the bore.

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the piston are you get pick up the shining bit vertical that goes to the top. May be coincident with a port but it is rubbing something.
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

david451
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:10 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on the net that brown and black parts are cause rings are loosing compresion

So i guess ill change rings as minimum but maybe i change piston aswell? should i get a 53.970 for a D barrel? vertex namura meteor? or if i just change rings, all rings 54mm will fit that piston? thx!

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything look fine except that the piston was too big
when the barrel is marked D you should fit a D
see your pict where i put a red circle , this is the weak part on the NSR barrel
buy a D piston at DSS ref : 13104 KY4 901 (£46 inc VAT)
or if you find it in UK a Woêssner forged piston ref : 8019DC (size 53.96)
remember polish the squish of the head and only top piston as a miror . this will avoid the coke to stick on

david451
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:33 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that the shinny part on the piston is from the part you marked on the picture. I barely had to polish anything cause the carbon stocked was minimal,with a bit of petrol it all came out easily, guess thats a good signal on oil and mixture?

About the letter when i opened the cylinder and saw a “B” i was a bit confused, it seems to be an aftermarket piston and aftermarket letters somehow dont correspond with original honda sizes? Isnt it weird? This is when a noob like me goes and pick a “D” letter on an aftermarket piston, get a completelly wrong size and fuck up the engine...

About piston choice there is a wossner set on ebay for about 100e, is it advised to change small end bearing aswell right? Whats the milleage scheduled for small end? Same as piston?

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the letter see the pict (it's not the castained letter but the hammered one ....E)
dont polish the exhaust port , just clean coke
the valves and shaft must be cleaned but not polish
about the piston ref begin at 13101 for a A until 13105 for a E
price are the same except the E which is outrageous (£113)
obviously you need : base cylinder seal,head gasket,small end bearing,piston pin,2 clips,oil seal (all marked with a red point)
remember the nut from the valves shaft is a left-hand thread so undo clockwise !

david451
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:16 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the clarification alain, my barrel is without doubt a "D".

I cleaned the ports with a bit of petrol, they didnt have much dirty on them so it wasnt hard.

Since i wont make much kilometers in summer i will put the new piston after it, i think i will take my chances with after market pistons, a wossner a vertex or a pro-x all seems to have very good reputation, that bill u show on the picture is very scary Rolling Eyes

About the size, i asume that the correct way to do it is making a cylinder bore measurement, can it be done with a caliper? anyway, i cant go wrong getting a 53.96 or a 53.97 (which is actually mounted) if the cilynder isnt in bad condition, right?

As always thx for your support guys,much appreciated.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

never go for after market pistons when your barrel is coated (for Honda it's called mikasil) . why do you think Honda give you the piston assorted with the barrel ? only to respect the clearance
after market pistons are 54.00 , your barrel require 53.96 !
see the pistons-barrel chart
about woësssner you may visit their site and see price and models
https://www.woessner-kolben.de/en/home.html
they sold piston kits see the joined file
also do not polish exhaust port and side piston

david451
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:25 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a shop that sells a vertex piston kit for 85eur, they have the 53.96, i think that the piston already mounted in my bike could be a vertex cause letter "B" on vertex correspond to 53.96.

Wossner is supposed to be better quality but there is an endless fight on the net about forged vs cast that isnt solved, lot of ppl vote for cast and some other for forged, since OEM honda piston is cast i think its guaranted that cast will work properly and its slighly cheaper too Mr. Green

Thx for advices about polishing hehe, i though about using sand paper on side piston thank god i always look the net before fucking anything up Razz

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

good boy Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1