BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crash bobbins & cutting your fairings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Crash bobbins & cutting your fairings Reply with quote

So the left side of my R6 needs a bit of the fairing chopped off the edge to clear the R&G Aero crash bung I want to put on it.

Dunno why they decided that only the right side should clear the fairing. R&G Seem to always need bodges done to get things to fit right (I'm looking at you, radiator guard).

Anyway, I would put this in the workshop section asking how to do it but I've decided I don't want to do it myself because I know I'll fuck it up and fairings are expensive.

This is the second crash bung I'm playing with now. Tried to do a workaround where I ground the metal ring of the bung itself to clear the fairing. It worked, the fairing doesn't touch it, but I've probably weakened it and it'll be useless when I need it, so I've got a fresh one to replace it now and want to do it properly.

Does anyone know someone who is confident/experienced with this sorta stuff, or will a shop do it properly for me (somewhere within or just off of the M25 preferably)?

It's the edge of the fairing that needs cutting, not a hole through the middle of the plastics.

Ta.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you need to damage modify the fairing the bung's meant to protect? Why do people bother with crash bungs Razz

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's all a bit mad. There are pros & cons. End of the day, they'd protect from a lot of the damage at a 0mph drop, which I've done already, and it cost me £700.. And I don't want to repeat that. If done correctly, the hole wouldn't be noticeable.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:01 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:

There is a lot to be said for naked bikes. Laughing

It normally revolves around just how wet and cold you get in the more inclement months of the year.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Yeah it's all a bit mad. There are pros & cons. End of the day, they'd protect from a lot of the damage at a 0mph drop, which I've done already, and it cost me £700.. And I don't want to repeat that. If done correctly, the hole wouldn't be noticeable.

Fair enough. I guess I'm looking at it from a naked (bike) perspective. The Striple was dumped on its side by thieves (on both sides), the bungs didn't seem to prevent any damage, and they're big R&G ones.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So you need to damage modify the fairing the bung's meant to protect? Why do people bother with crash bungs Razz

I've always understood they're there to protect it mechanically.

When my ZZR got punted out from under me they protected the engine casings from hitting the ground and dumping the oil out (probably would have survived as it had stalled during proceedings) but did mean I could ride it home.

The bung bent and damaged the fairing at the hole but this can hardly be seen when on the bike as the bung covers it.

as the bike landed partially on the pavement the top fairing did crack.

so, it kind of did it's job containing the damage to being cosmetic, annoying but ridable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1