Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Laziness alert: pick me some HDDs pleeez

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Laziness alert: pick me some HDDs pleeez Reply with quote

HP Microserver (Ralph!) running FreeNas 11.something. I'm about to upgrade the ram to 12 jiggabytes because all the FreeNas forum people say it's completely necessary to have at least 8 or kitties will (...hold on, let's not go there...)

I have a 1tb drive with about 200gb data on it I'd like kept forever. I would like to stream stuff with plex, I might be making a vm/jail to run ZoneMinder in, but it's all a fairly low draw on storage. I don't hoard films or music.

I want to have some degree of resilience to my data. I'm not worried about it being blazingly fast to get to. I think I'm going to create a ZFS pool for the main storage, using 2x2tb drives, and have backups written back to the 1tb drive once the data is copied over.

Still with me? Good. So the question is, what drives shall I pick? Everyone seems to gravitate towards WD Red, but I've been reading reviews of failure rates that suggest Hitachi drives are better long term.

Anyone have anything to sway me either way?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see the need for that much RAM. Probably better off putting it into an SSD if the software you are using will allow you to use it as a cache.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 20 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find HDDs a much of a muchness, I've been using Seagate 2TBs for ages with no real problems, some have failed but the they have been on and used for 24hrs straight for 3 years.

I worry more about backups than drives failing.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I really don't see the need for that much RAM. Probably better off putting it into an SSD if the software you are using will allow you to use it as a cache.

Specs say 8gb, there are 2 slots, one with 4 in already. I don't like the idea of getting 'just enough', always allow for wiggle room.
Plus, forgot to mention, I installed the OS on a 32gb SSD in one of the bays.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

got 16gb in mine but running it as a hypervisor host, check if you need ECC ram.

have esxi installed on an 8gb sd card, a 500gb ssd connected to the and then 2 wd red 2tb.

not had an issue with the reds yet and run them at home and work

wots has some for sale

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=320212

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
check if you need ECC ram
Well you don't, but given that there's 4gb of the stuff in there already, I might as well. It's 70squid for 8gb at Mr Memory.

vice wrote:
Yeah, I saw that. I don't need 6 though, just need 2 drives and not that size either. Confused

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had a problem with WD red drives in all of our NAS boxes, bit noisy but meh

Backblaze seem to rave about them too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
check if you need ECC ram

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Well you don't, but given that there's 4gb of the stuff in there already, I might as well. It's 70squid for 8gb at Mr Memory.

sort of what I was getting at, warning not mix, as although it might work I've seen it cause issues in the past Thumbs Up

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

Just updated that, I also have 8x3TB drives (Seagate, came out of an external enclosure I ordered complete with drives), will split. Any offers backed up with cash/collection next 24 hours will be listened to as I'm away at the weekend and need the cash! Very Happy

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Specs say 8gb, there are 2 slots, one with 4 in already. I don't like the idea of getting 'just enough', always allow for wiggle room.
Plus, forgot to mention, I installed the OS on a 32gb SSD in one of the bays.

8GB is also overkill. It's a NAS handling modest amounts of data at modest data rates. If this was some kind of multi-user business type system then it might have more merit, but for home stuff its just a waste.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAS no. 1 has a 2Tb Seagate and a 2Tb Hitachi -mainly file storage
NAS no. 2 has 2x 3Tb Toshiba - mainly cctv storage and multimedia

Both NAS boxes been running for years 24x7

All much of a muchness to be honest.

Tosh and Hitachi are very reliable.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
8GB is also overkill. It's a NAS handling modest amounts of data at modest data rates. If this was some kind of multi-user business type system then it might have more merit, but for home stuff its just a waste.
Yeah but no but
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/screen_shot_2017-06-22_at_08.28.44.png

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're managing 1000s of drives you'll notice the difference between desktop, NAS/Near-Line & Enterprise SAS in terms of reliability. If you're looking at a handful reliability is going to be luck of the draw. That said NAS/Near-Line drives tend to deal with higher temps better than desktop drives.

So my recommendation the cheapest 7200rpm near-line or NAS SATA drives you can find.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
If you're managing 1000s of drives you'll notice the difference between desktop, NAS/Near-Line & Enterprise SAS in terms of reliability. If you're looking at a handful reliability is going to be luck of the draw. That said NAS/Near-Line drives tend to deal with higher temps better than desktop drives.

So my recommendation the cheapest 7200rpm near-line or NAS SATA drives you can find.

still have 2 x 1TB Samsung Spin Point F1's purchased in 2010 whirring away after 7 years Thumbs Up

they were renowned for failure due to the 2011 thailand floods, luckily picked mine just before the monsoon.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
techathy wrote:

still have 2 x 1TB Samsung Spin Point F1's purchased in 2010 whirring away after 7 years Thumbs Up

they were renowned for failure due to the 2011 thailand floods, luckily picked mine just before the monsoon.

I take your Samsung F1s and raise you 12x IBM GPX 75... Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:

man those were awful, you got lucky, didn't they have some kind of major defect, there were lawsuits iirc?

currently consulting with a few charities, could likely find something older than that still running Laughing

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
techathy wrote:

man those were awful, you got lucky, didn't they have some kind of major defect, there were lawsuits iirc?

currently consulting with a few charities, could likely find something older than that still running Laughing

Older is easy... as notoriously unreliable? They take a significant amount of the credit for IBM getting out of the HDD market.

Actually, their MTBF average over the 5 years after production ceased wasn't bad. Just most life cycle dead count curves look like the bottom 3rd of a sine wave. The GPX 75 looks more like an L.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1