Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shiny Helmets......... or not

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Shiny Helmets......... or not Reply with quote

This may seem like an odd question, but as it is a reasonably expensive purchase, i want to make sure i get it right

Long story short, i have been looking for a new helmet for some time as i seem to have a very oddly shaped head (size XL but also very long oval) and i have finally found a helmet that seems to fit well (albeit for a short period of time when worn in a shop)

The helmet in question is the Shark SKWAL/D-SKWAL, but this then raises another problem, and that is colour scheme

I'm guessing most people match they helmet colour to their bike, but as i am still learning, i haven't got a big bike to match it too, so i'm thinking of just buying a black helmet, but i like the look of the Matt Black option

So my question is, is a Matt Black helmet any better/worse to look after than a shiny helmet, so they scuff easily and look tired an old before their time

Any opinions welcomed

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:56 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help you with colour but 2 people I know have had issues with the visor clips breaking on their Skwals - a common issue it seems.

Also, dont match your kit to your bike - unless you've got loads of money to buy new kit whenever you change bike, or always go for the same colour...

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I see someone with all matching kit like a power ranger, I think it looks a bit sad if anything. Then you're tied down if you want to change bikes.

I've just got a matt black Shark helmet, apart from being covered in bugs I'm sure it'll be just as durable as a gloss helmet provided it's looked after.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a matt black helmet, no issues so far, if it gets a grubby just wipe it with some wet wipes.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Whenever I see someone with all matching kit like a power ranger, I think it looks a bit sad if anything. Then you're tied down if you want to change bikes.

I've just got a matt black Shark helmet, apart from being covered in bugs I'm sure it'll be just as durable as a gloss helmet provided it's looked after.

Yes, this was my thought too, i am trying my hardest to buy kit so i don't look like a Power Ranger, but then the other half of me says, if i am spending upwards of £200 on a helmet, would it be a waste to just buy a plain black one where there are so many cool designs

But like you say, it really means matching with a bike, and changing kit every time you buy a new bike

Think i'll stick to plain colours then

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdubya wrote:
Cant help you with colour but 2 people I know have had issues with the visor clips breaking on their Skwals - a common issue it seems.

Also, dont match your kit to your bike - unless you've got loads of money to buy new kit whenever you change bike, or always go for the same colour...

Ahh, cheers for the heads up

Unfortunately it is the only helmet i have found thus far that even remotely fits my odd shaped skull

I have a Marushin Maro (who?????) helmet at the moment that i bought years ago when doing a few car trackdays, but after 30-40 mins i get a rather uncomfortable pain across for forehead, and as i have now got the funds to book in for my DAS, i want to get a decent comfortable helmet before i start my training, as the last thing i want is to get headaches after only 40 mins riding, especially when it comes to my tests

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Unfortunately it is the only helmet i have found thus far that even remotely fits my odd shaped skull

arai is usually suited to oval head shapes

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

arai is usually suited to oval head shapes

Tried a couple of Arai helmets at CMC in Chesvegas, but couldn't even get my mahosive noggin through the opening, even on an XL

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME matt black helmets show the scratches more. Might be because it's a cheap helmet, but my other cheap glossy helmets seem to fair better
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
IME matt black helmets show the scratches more. Might be because it's a cheap helmet, but my other cheap glossy helmets seem to fair better

Yeah, this was my concern, however, saying that, i won't be using my bike daily, so shouldn't get that much wear and tear, and i do tend to look after stuff, and always give my current helmet a wipe down after every trip

I just think gloss white/black helmets look a bit cheap, and if i'm spending £200 ish on a helmet, i don't want it to look particularly cheap

Ohh, just had another look, and they actually do a Dual Black SKWAL, half matt, half gloss, looks a bit more special than just a plain gloss/matt black helmet

https://www.burnoutitaly.ca/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/4d958f563004f3a33e053f5fc7cf6f98/s/h/shark-skwal-dual-black-blk_02.jpg

https://www.burnoutitaly.ca/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/4d958f563004f3a33e053f5fc7cf6f98/s/h/shark-skwal-dual-black-blk_03.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:12 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely get a black helmet, because it sends a powerful statement about how many fucks you don't give about being seen. The approbation of strangers should be your primary concern.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SKWAL is of a matte colour and surface finish.

It is slightly more difficult to clean in comparison to a shiny lacquered jobby.
But the difference is negligible. Not even worth fretting about.

As for the scratch thing; I've found that the matte finish doesn't scratch as easily and I've got far less scratches on this helmet than I did on my previous, after a similar amount of time.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
My SKWAL is of a matte colour and surface finish.

It is slightly more difficult to clean in comparison to a shiny lacquered jobby.
But the difference is negligible. Not even worth fretting about.

As for the scratch thing; I've found that the matte finish doesn't scratch as easily and I've got far less scratches on this helmet than I did on my previous, after a similar amount of time.

Cheers, always nice to hear 1st hand information

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You should definitely get a black helmet, because it sends a powerful statement about how many fucks you don't give about being seen. The approbation of strangers should be your primary concern.

But but but............. it's got blinky flashy lights on it Roger Razz

Seriously though, should everyone have to wear a White or Kwak Green helmet to be able to be seen then

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:50 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th quality of the paint has more to do with some scratch resistance than the finish

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:54 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I have just watched a Jim Davidson video.... queries about the best way to look after a black helmet, how to clean a black helmet, how to polish a black helmet.... after his rather blue black willy jests to an audience or Royal Engineers, is not begging ANY motorcycle relevant suggestions, I'm afraid! Laughing

"Ere maan, you got a black helmet you have nuddin to worry bout, maan, just drop your trowsiz and let dee' carpet do dee wirk maan!"

BEST I can come up with, at the moment, I'm afraid!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark Spartan Carbon In black on black + Super dark off road use only pinlocked black visor.

Cool. As. Fuck.

Spartan shares same visor as the SKWAL but no probs with mine so far.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:34 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't buy another Shark.

They refused my warranty on the visor clips breaking... on the 2nd visor.

First one was broken by a bird, the 2nd was just by the wind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

But like you say, it really means matching with a bike, and changing kit every time you buy a new bike

No, No it dosen't.

Get what ever helmet design you like, it does not need to match the bike, nor does it need to be plain.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:43 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Seriously though, should everyone have to wear a White or Kwak Green helmet to be able to be seen then

Seriously, yes, that's exactly what I just demanded. You should be shot on sight for your own safety if you're spotted wearing anything else, but of course you won't be seen, so it's the perfect crime.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
BEST I can come up with, at the moment, I'm afraid!

ts; dr Wink
Paddy. wrote:
First one was broken by a bird, the 2nd was just by the wind.

By breaking wind? Wow.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a matt black HJC and if anything it scuffs less than the gloss black I had before it. The matt black finish takes a few extra squirts of cleaner compared to a gloss, but other than that the difference is nothing to worry about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone, looks like i'll be going for the stealthy Matt Black option then Cool

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need as many colours as possible, in my opinion. Very Happy Goes with any bike and is "Hi-Viz" without being "Polite." Needs an iridium visor though. Wink My first one was a white Shoei but I followed with Haga, Van Den Bosch and then Nakano reps.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a purple one so you look like a throbbing bellend
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2