Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Time for a new headset but never replaced one before

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Time for a new headset but never replaced one before Reply with quote

Hai guyz,

My bike spec states that I have:

Headset: 1-1/8" sealed Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm alloy cone spacer, w/ 20mm of spacers

When I googley a "1-1/8" sealed headset bearings" I am presented with all manner of shapes and sizes of things - how do I know what I want? Do I need to whip mine out to understand better/look for any markings?

And finally, I'm assuming this is a simple DIY job?

Peace out bitches. Karma

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a minefield, I ended up contacting FSA to find out what I needed. I've still not finished my recent headset replacement as the steering stem etc. are corroded Confused Assuming yours is in good condition it's not too difficult. RJ the bike guy has some good videos.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah bike is only a few years old. Owners now stating headset is a known weak point on this bike and others have quoted exactly same issue as me.

Will probably take it apart so I understand what I have and what has failed. Thumbs Up

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it apart, find the bearings, look at the markings to find the type and order them up.

It should be a simple fix.

Pay attention to the order in which it comes apart, but you knew that bit.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an integrated headset, which given the description you've given it's likely, then what you need is the angles, these are normally marked on the bearing casing but often they're worn off. Normally I fire off an email to the bike manufacture including a frame number & asking them for the exact headset specification.

For an integrated headset you shouldn't see any external signs of non-rotating parts of the headset with the forks and stem (with spacers) installed on the bike. These are installable by firm hand/finger pressure, though getting them out can be interesting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1