Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Flashed on a 50cc Moped

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ah67k
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:53 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Flashed on a 50cc Moped Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm 16 years old and I ride a 50cc moped that should be restricted to 30mph. I find myself constantly using A roads with 50 or 60mph speed limits, and I couldn't bare going half the speed. I decided to find ways to derestrict my bike until I managed to get it going at about 45mph. I was riding around yesterday and then on a 30mph dual carriageway, and as silly as it sounds, I completely forgot that I derestricted my bike so I pulled the throttle all the way expecting to go just 30mph and then I was flashed by a gatso speed camera.
Now I'm more than happy to pay a fine, and 3 points on my license wouldn't be too much drama, but I'm 16 and my bike shouldn't be going faster than 30mph. Does this mean I could be facing court, having my moped confiscated or having my license taken away and maybe a higher fine?

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:56 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly, but probably not. I was caught by a mobile speed camera doing 40 in a 30 on a 50cc and i just did a speed awareness course.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

ah67k
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:58 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:
possibly, but probably not. I was caught by a mobile speed camera doing 40 in a 30 on a 50cc and i just did a speed awareness course.

Were you 16 at the time?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Flashed on a 50cc Moped Reply with quote

Depends if anyone bothers other than just making sure the letter is sent out and the fine is paid

Seeing as the bike doesn't meet your licence requirements, and your insurance would be invalid, it has left you open to further punishment, but will anyone notice?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:43 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cant do the time, don't do the crime.

You have modified your ped beyond the restrictions imposed by your, I presume, provisional, licence entitlement, specifically not only to knowingly ride a machine you don't actually have licence entitlement to ride, but also to exceed the speed limit for that vehicle type, whilst failing to declare the modifications that render your ped, no longer a ped, and a motorcycle, explicitly so that you may evade detection and prosecution for that crime....

Yet STILL got caught!?!?!

I'm not sure what's dafter, to be honest! You will in due course (up to 14 days), receive a NIP or notice of Intended Prosecution through the post, if the camera was actually 'active', and actually took your photo, and they were able to read your registration no.. and care to peruse a prosecution for exceeding the posted speed limit....

NIP should state exactly what they intend to prosecute you for.... if you are lucky bureaucrat inefficiency will mean they simply issue the usual money-with menaces letter asking you to plead guilty of exceeding the posted speed limit, and accept points and fine, and not actually put two and two together, and spot the fact that you were managing to exceed the posted speed limit, on a machine that shouldn't be capable of exceeding the speed limit, and hence actually niether the vehicle declared on your insurance or that you have licence entitlement for, and choose to chuck the book at you.....

In which case you could be pretty screwed, and you could be charged with any number of offences you were actually committing, from riding other than in accordance, to riding without valid insurance; insurance fraud, for obtaining insurance by deception; exceeding the sped limit for the road, as well as exceeding the speed limit for the vehicle type; riding a vehicle other than descried on the registration, and attempting to pervert the course of justice, deliberately, and with foresight, attempting to ride a motorcycle disguised as a moped, for the deliberate purpose of breaking the law, and exceedg speed limits for ehicle type and road.... probably having a bad case of acne, or just being criminally ugly as well as daft, depending on how flattering the Gatso photo happens to turn out... and anything else they can think of.

You have two weeks, of suspenders, to wait for the NIP to be delivered. Not much point worrying about it, now though is there... just ask the dog to shift over a bit on the door-mat when you take up residence to wait the NIP through the front door, and don't steal all its' blanket!

If you are lucky, the dawg may get a bit friendly during the night, and when your mum spots the wet patch on your pajamas, explaining the speeding ticket to your Dad, probably wont seem such a big deal Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to court and be all contritey about it, sure they'll let you off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:40 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to court and say "Impossibru! Mopeds can only do 45kph!" Whistle

Don't fret. If it's an old style GATSO then it's increasingly likely that there's not even any film in it. Yes, actual film, like they used to record the dinosaurs that roamed the earth when Tef was middle aged.

Even if you do get a NIP and an S172 though the door, the chances of a human making the connection, or having programmed Friend Computer to do so, are minimal.

I wouldn't expect anything worse than a £100 blackmail demand and 3 points, or better yet, a Speed / Driver / Kitten Awareness course.

Which might do you some good, since your major problem is your piss poor observations.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and don't forget to infirm your insurance company next renewal too of your (impeding) conviction, and expect next years premium to rise

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the above. If some human being actually deals with this, has a think, puts 2 and 2 together then you could be in some serious do do.
I'm 99% sure though that either the camera will be filmless, or it will be processed by some sort of computer that will ensure the top priority of getting your £100 in quick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's highly unlikely that the computers will cross check the class of of bike you're riding against the speed you were going, so you're probably just looking at a speeding conviction. Plead guilty by post, pay up on time and learn the lesson.

Lesson being that you're not a little kiddie any more, a moped is not a toy and what you can and cannot do with/on it is governed by laws which can have serious consequences if you ignore them.

Teflon-Mike wasn't scaremongering with his little list of possible offences, if a Police officer had caught you instead of a camera any combination of those would have been a possibility.

I wouldn't fret too much about points and a fine, they're the least of your worries, you have to declare convictions to insurers for at least five years, and as far as I know they're not obliged to forget the past on your eighteenth birthday. A speeding conviction may well ramp up you premiums by a few hundred quid, 'driving other than in accordance with your licence' and 'driving whilst uninsured' will add thousands, assuming you can find an insurer willing to take the risk. And yes you were in fact committing both of those offences because you were riding a motorcycle not a moped.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think also the 3 points count towards a probationary period of 6 points max if you go for full licence (not that many people under 24 do that nowadays)

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Oh, and don't forget to infirm your insurance company next renewal too of your (impeding) conviction, and expect next years premium to rise

Question
Nothing is 'impending' unless ole Triters gets a NIP.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:17 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Flashed on a 50cc Moped Reply with quote

ah67k wrote:
Now I'm more than happy to pay a fine, and 3 points on my license wouldn't be too much drama, but I'm 16 and my bike shouldn't be going faster than 30mph. Does this mean I could be facing court, having my moped confiscated or having my license taken away and maybe a higher fine?

Doubt it, they'll just want their £100 bribe from you.

"I completely forgot that I derestricted my bike" That's a terrible excuse. Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I think also the 3 points count towards a probationary period of 6 points max if you go for full licence (not that many people under 24 do that nowadays)

Not on provisional, full 12 available.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Flashed on a 50cc Moped Reply with quote

ah67k wrote:
and I couldn't bare going half the speed.

Although it is tempting in this hot weather ...

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah67k wrote:

Were you 16 at the time?

Yup.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
bhinso wrote:

I think he meant should he get a full bike licence, then if he got 6 points within the first 2 years he faces a ban, and the 3 points on his provisional would put him halfway there already

Of course, it doesn't need to be a bike test, same would apply if he passed his car test

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
bhinso wrote:

He means they'd carry over into the New Drivers Act. That is to say, if the OP collected 3 points for this offence then passed his test, he would only have to clock up 1 more FPN of 3 points to be revoked.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe wind was behind you, or you had beans for breakfast.
They won't have a clue, though if you had a speed related accident shit might fly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah correct arry / Fizz. I meant that should he do the test he's halfway to losing the new licence.
However, if he keeps on the provisional then it's 12 points.
What a great system this country has, actively discouraging you from doing your bike test

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
What a great system this country has, actively discouraging you from doing your bike test

Didn't you get the memo?
We're all a minority of lowlife kitten murderers, we simply don't matter when it comes to G-mans grand scheme.

To be fair though, its the same for cars.
To my understanding, even learning on your provisional car, you could get 6 points, then have them transfer after passing your test and lose your licence.
So I guess on this one we are "all in it together".

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
bhinso wrote:

Didn't you get the memo?
We're all a minority of lowlife kitten murderers, we simply don't matter when it comes to G-mans grand scheme.

To be fair though, its the same for cars.
To my understanding, even learning on your provisional car, you could get 6 points, then have them transfer after passing your test and lose your licence.
So I guess on this one we are "all in it together".

Nope, that doesn't happen. If you have 6 points when you pass your test, the new licence is safe as long as you don't get any more in the first two years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1