Bike Curious

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Bike Curious Reply with quote

Ellopeeps.

Following an unexpected successful PPI compo claim, I've found myself with a £4k windfall, so I've got my bike shopping goggles on again. At the moment one of the contenders is the Royal Enfield Continental GT 535. Anyone lived with one as a daily runner? I'll be chatting with some Enfield bods at the bike meet tonight, but thought I'd throw it out here for comments. I'm looking at blagging a test ride at the weekend.

Also in the running is some form of HD Sportster, probably the 883, just to get it out of my system. Depends on what wins - beardy hipster or beardy assless chapster Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could get something fun Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:51 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GT? How roguish!

You're going to need some very dark glasses, and the cost in male grooming products will be astronomical.

They do appear to come with a RealDolltm that you can prop on the back, though you might have to nail it to the seat.

https://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cf_gallery_14-770x577.jpg

Aside: where's that smoke coming from?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A GT? How roguish!

You're going to need some very dark glasses, and the cost in male grooming products will be astronomical.

They do appear to come with a RealDolltm that you can prop on the back, though you might have to nail it to the seat.

Aside: where's that smoke coming from?

Everything about the photo is uncomfortable and awkward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:26 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice looking bike, it's just a shame it doesnt have twice as much power IMHO.

29hp really isnt enough

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:30 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
It's a nice looking bike, it's just a shame it doesnt have twice as much power IMHO.

29hp really isnt enough

Good job Triumph make the Truxton then Wink

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:46 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is another bike which I would love to own, but equally ridiculous in the other direction

Enfield Continental GT - 535cc - 29hp - 192kgs(wet inc 90% fuel) - £5199

Thruxton R - 1200cc - 97hp - 203kg(Dry) - £12200

Where is the 800cc 60hp option for 8 grand new? Apart from a used Thruxton 900 and live with the fact it weighs quarter of a tonne?

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ridden an Royal Enfield so I'll vote for the Harley but I am rather biased anyway. You shouldn't lose much, if any money on the Harley if you don't like it.

Hmm, not much help was I!

Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:54 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

29hp really isnt enough

Depends on your reality. I find 20 - 30 to be the sweet spot for both fun commuting, and lazy pleasure rides. Using all of what you've got can be more satisfying than constantly reigning it in.

I'd actually be a little concern-trolled that the GT is too quick for its brakes, tyres and suspension.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

29hp really isnt enough

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-engine-performancekits

Cheap at half the price - right? Right?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Using all of what you've got can be more satisfying than constantly reigning it in.

But...how can that be?! Confused Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It does look like you'll save on bike gloves though Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
B5234FT wrote:

29hp really isnt enough

Depends on your reality. I find 20 - 30 to be the sweet spot for both fun commuting, and lazy pleasure rides. Using all of what you've got can be more satisfying than constantly reigning it in.

I'd actually be a little concern-trolled that the GT is too quick for its brakes, tyres and suspension.

I might agree if it wasn't so heavy.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I might agree if it wasn't so heavy.

If it wasn't so heavy it wouldn't be so classic.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:33 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg, agreed to an extent, day to day I prefer my 60hp bike to my 105hp bike.

I borrowed a Z250 courtesy bike last year and really liked that too (about the same power as the enfield) but it was the absolute lower limit for motorway use.

Maybe Im over-egging the pudding at 60, but 45 would make all the difference.

As usual however, horses for courses, my commute involves 10 miles of busy duallie with 90 degree junctions and crap visibility along with some nice open winding A roads, so most of it is sat at 60-70 and a spurt of acceleration is required for survival Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Or you could get something fun Wink

Come on then, challenge to you here but tell us what is a good looking and fun bike able to be bought in equal condition for the same money. Wink

Obviously I mean a bike not covered in plastic, hence the good looking criteria.

OP I'd take the RE, it looks fun and the worst built example has to knock spots of most Harleys, quality wise. I've seen a few close up and wouldn't swap a lexmoto for one personally.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit, I'd plump for the RE as well ..

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a very quick spin around the carpark on a Mash 400 tonight; interesting, and another possible contender. Think I prefer the lower revving feel of the Enf though.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Mash 400, the Roadstar, TT40 or the Dirtstar, someone else on here has both a Roadstar & TT40, I think the riding position on the TT40 is noticeably different than on the Roadstar & Dirtstar?

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fu** sake don't buy the 883. Took one for a test ride a few years ago and handed it back within ten minutes. Dreadful.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking into the RE GT as a daily bike, but my round trip is about 30-40 miles and at least half is motorway, half that motorway is done at motorway pace which I didn't think the RE could cope with so I've ended up with a Hornet as I couldn't afford a Kwak W650

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Which Mash 400, the Roadstar, TT40 or the Dirtstar, someone else on here has both a Roadstar & TT40, I think the riding position on the TT40 is noticeably different than on the Roadstar & Dirtstar?

It was the Roadstar. I think I've talked myself out of it though, and have a test ride booked out on Saturday on a GT535 whilst they poke and prod the 350, before insulting me with a trade in offer Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Which is another bike which I would love to own, but equally ridiculous in the other direction

Enfield Continental GT - 535cc - 29hp - 192kgs(wet inc 90% fuel) - £5199

Thruxton R - 1200cc - 97hp - 203kg(Dry) - £12200

Where is the 800cc 60hp option for 8 grand new? Apart from a used Thruxton 900 and live with the fact it weighs quarter of a tonne?

If you believe the numbers...

Quote:
Stage 1 performance kit
Recently we began work investigating some extra power from a standard GT. We knew these are in a very low state of tune, so a few tweaks were on the cards. Several days on our Dyno, a handmade stainless full system, K&N filter and air box conversion and our own mapped Dynojet Power Commander have made some dramatic improvements. Now with a 60% increase in rear wheel power and a fabulous exhaust note, we are over the moon.

Next steps…
There’s clearly plenty potential with further internal engine work, but we will be focusing on supply our stage 1 kit at the moment. At a fitted cost of just £1,300 in really does transform the GT into something else. Come and try our demo and see what all the fuss is about!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Does look a nice bike, you could probably get around £1500-1800 for your 350 on ebay depending on which way the wind happens to be blowing ! I got £1650 for mine.

I do find the Mash very similar to ride to the Bullet, just the Mash will happily cruise at 60, and can go faster when needed, so, that's why the Bullet went, when I decided on getting the ST7

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, the bloke I was chatting to also has a standard GT, and he said that crouched over the tank he struggles to go over 85, whilst on the Mash he could hit 80 whilst sitting upright. He's selling a few of his bikes to buy some Kwak 1000, but he still loves the GT and won't part with it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2