Rocket 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_9ucFfhdI

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
M.C wrote:
Or you could get something fun Wink

Come on then, challenge to you here but tell us what is a good looking and fun bike able to be bought in equal condition for the same money. Wink

Obviously I mean a bike not covered in plastic, hence the good looking criteria.

OP I'd take the RE, it looks fun and the worst built example has to knock spots of most Harleys, quality wise. I've seen a few close up and wouldn't swap a lexmoto for one personally.

By good looking do you mean hipster? Very Happy You know what bike I'd be buying if I had 4k in my pocket, starts with a K and ends with an M Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, but some cool looking probably slightly retro naked factory bike is the vein of this thread, so a modern plastic race replica is not in with a sniff.

Your KTM speak might be relevant and worthy of consideration in this criteria so long as:

It's not an off road or SM bike, and it's not a wannabe adventure bike, the likes of which I personally find much more false and pretentious than any factory naked/custom/cafe racer or hipster bike if I'm honest.

I think I know where your going with your KTM desires, but as they don't make many bikes that aren't the above, then it leaves very few naked bikes to choose from, and most of them aren't lookers in the same way as the RE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Yamaha Fizzy to me Whistle I think this is about as hipster as I could go:
https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/283892/images/ace-triumph-1.jpg
Exhaust wrap might have to go...

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just a street triple someones ruined.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Thats just a street triple someones ruined.

Bikeshed Wink I like the single headlight, although I appreciate you're removing a distinctive feature of the bike.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:00 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, take one of the definitive naked bikes and make it look like a Hornet...

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 24 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo, had a test ride of these today from CooperB just outside Bozeat, Northants...

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19396684_10155441091081484_4084462941183458610_n.jpg?oh=f70b3172c6d899c3f4394eb1a55eb60f&oe=59D868B2

Worked out a 15 mile circuit that took a mix of A, B, dual carriageway and bit of town work. First up was the Army Classic, only had just under 400 miles on the clock. The Classic isn't actually on my list, but they didn't have a B5 for demo; I was more interested in feeling how the engine performed anyhoo. The EFI is renowned for a shitload of vibes until you get around 1500 miles under its belt, and this was no exception. Pegs, bars, seat - not comfortable at all. Engine was tight, revved OK initially, but really needs more miles to loosen up. Similar thump and feel to the older engine, without the extra noises. Much improved gearbox, better than my Electra which itself was an improvement over the Albion. Light clutch, good brakes (ABS on this one). Single seat didn't allow much room for shuffling, and I was mostly on the rear edge, which wasn't ideal. Handling felt similar to the older Bullet, but ride was a bit higher (like the Electra - probably the longer rear shocks).

Then came the GT. With 500 miles on this one, the extra CCs/miles were more noticeable. Fewer vibes and a much more willing engine, took my lardy arse up to 70 easily, and at 4000 revs in 5th (red line starts at 5500), top end I'm guessing 85 as standard. Felt like it could sit at 70 as a cruising speed happily. Unfortunately (as I expected) the riding position is not for me, but had to give it a go. Too much weight on my wrists and bend in my lower back. Wasn't too cramped for the legs though, and the tank is quite slim. Bike handled OK, went where I pointed it. I can see the attraction.

After I returned on that, I needed to experience a 500 EFI that had been run in, and they had a second hand Classic there with 1600 miles on the clock and a shorter silencer, so that was wheeled out and I took that on the same route. Felt like a different bike to the previous Classic. Still vibes (not much different to my 350), but nowhere near as intrusive, engine much looser and happier to rev. Saw 80 on the speedo, very happy at 65 for cruising.

So, nice bike, but the GT's off the list. A B5 is in the running though; same rear frame as my 350, so I could swap the seat for my single seat and rack arrangement. Now to find a Harley demo...
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be for a V-rod?

Can't see anything else being worth putting your hand in your pocket for at a HOG shop.

Have you got a local Guzzi dealer close by?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Now to find a Harley demo...

Might be different for you, coming from an RE, but the 883 is one of the most disappointing bikes I've ever ridden.

Robby will probably disagree with me, but I was expecting the much hyped Harley wall of torque and it just wasn't there. Got everything else, feel every firing stroke, bit vibey, slightly ungainly handling, but it felt positively asthmatic, after a lifetime of riding big IL4s.

Admittedly, it was absolutely stock and no doubt there's a bunch of overpriced shit that unleashes the beast (!?) but, if you're organising a proper test ride, try and get a go on a 1200 as well, I think it's a much better motor.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Would that be for a V-rod?

Can't see anything else being worth putting your hand in your pocket for at a HOG shop.

Have you got a local Guzzi dealer close by?

The Sportster interests me, I very much doubt I'd be buying a Harley from a dealer though.

There used to be a Guzzi dealer up the road from me, previously an Enfield dealer. Not sure what's happened to it - in the last few years it keeps relaunching with a different website with a slightly different name.

I do like the look of the V7 Classic, wouldn't say no (it does have shafty goodness, after all) but it's more bike than I want, and the prices look like they start at the top end of my budget.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:34 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
[V7] prices look like they start at the top end of my budget.

Owners seem to reckon they've sitting on appreciating classics as soon as they roll out of the showroom.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I are mostly having a test ride on a Sportster 883...

https://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media.jpg?id=df1f2a27fe39416e9a3b6ddf3676b9c3&width=1024&height=768

Pretty solid for a 17 year old bike, feels like it was milled from a solid block, rather than assembled. Took a short while to warm up and idle cleanly (well, as cleanly as a potato can), and I was off along the roads around Brackley, some town, some A, some dual carriageway. Fairly comfortable, but I know from the Savage that feet forward doesn't suit me for longer journeys - I prefer to be able to support myself with my legs, if needs be. The vibes weren't intrusive, on par with the Enfield really. The bars were high and wide in comparison, again not uncomfortable, but puts you in a position where wind blast is more pronounced once you get above 60; I'm not sure how long that would take to get old. Handling was OK, brakes good enough for my riding, but it wasn't as though I was hanging off on the corners or trying for stoppies.

Performance was more than adequate for my needs, I'm guessing the top end is just over the ton. This has a stage 1 Screaming Eagle setup, and was loud, bordering on obnoxious. I felt I'd probably be satisfied with a standard offering. The position of the air filter is annoying and in the way of my knee - mid mounted footrests might alleviate that, but the dealer said it doesn't make that much difference, and the filter that was fitted is one of the slimmest.

Would I buy one? Possibly. The poor economy and piddly tank would probably nag at me over time though, so it'd have to be a bargain.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2