Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How are you staying cool?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: How are you staying cool? Reply with quote

Saw a click bait thing on the book of faces, and I was indeed baited to looking.

Putting my boredomtemporary susceptibility to shameful social media marketing methods to one side, it did make me wonder what the geniuses that frequent BCF are doing in the pursuit of coolness in this here heatwave.

Thinking, both on and off the bike?

Inb4; No i dont mean cool as in: Cool I mean, temperature cool. Although, someone that is able to reach comfortable ambient coolness in this heat, is indeed likely to be coolest of cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been surprised how cool i have been when out on the bike, probably thanks to my kelvlar jeans which do let the air flow through them, my only real problem is when sat in traffic (not yet confident enough to filter in heavy traffic)

My big problem comes when i get to work, as 2 layer thick jeans aren't the coolest, and thanks to the secondary double glazing fitted into our ageing office last year, the windows no longer open, so it's like a bloody oven in here

I have tried one of those cooling spray jobbies, but it only gives mild relief for a very short period of time

My current method is a pint glass full of ice cubes sat directly in front of my desk fan................ not much success there either to be honest

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-tip: move to Scotchland. I had to stop to put on another layer this morning, and I've packed the waterproofs. Sad

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some odd reason I never notice the temperature when I'm riding, summer or winter, instead it hits me full on when I park up.

Off bike, at home Beer/Fan/moar-beer. At work air-conditioned office plus limitless free chilled water/coffee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wearing shorts and a loose shirt, trying to drink water but I'm still peeing a lot (how can you be thirsty and need the loo) Confused

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

off the bike air conditioner
on the bike trying not to stop moving

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about at night when trying to sleep?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Nothing seems to work for me Neutral All my windows have been open 24/7 since the weekend, bedroom door open and it's still baking. Gonna be 26 degrees tonight Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, I'm glad I no longer live in the south east, although we haven't escaped the heatwave up here in the north - just not quite so severe.
I have some very specific problems when it comes to temperature regulation. I have a skin graft over 15% of my body (chest, neck, side of face). The graft has no pores and is like wearing a skin-tight jacket that you can't take off. So I tend to overheat very readily, suffering worse than most people.

Having said that, I've only had to resort to a fan at home on a couple of occasions so far. Whilst the upstairs rooms in my house get quite warm, the living room is much more comfortable, being north facing, and so not getting the sun directly.

On the bike in Europe recently, several days of silly high temperatures drained me. Within seconds of getting into a hotel room, I'd be dripping (from those areas where I still have normal skin). In the end, it's what put paid to me going any further. It was just about manageable when moving (although I had to resort to t-shirt only sometimes; even the meshed jacket I took was too much on those occasions, and I rode in jeans or lightweight cargo trousers for the entire trip), but any stops were torture. Some hotels had air con, and one supplied an efficient fan, so I was ok in those ones. But the last one had nothing, and only one small window to open which was completely inadequate.

On the bike, I took to soaking a flannel in cold water and sealing it in a plastic bag, burying it underneath other stuff in the tank bag where it stayed cool. Nice to pull it out and wipe the face over with when stopped. Drank lots too, especially fresh orange juice, which helps to replace salts (potassium etc) lost through sweating too.

Conversely, when it's really cold, all my broken bones don't like that either, but at least I can dress against the cold.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

walking around in as little clothing as possible given the situation...

Desk fan, and a lot of swimming - ice cold pool is bloody marvelous after a long day at work!

however i never take my undies off.. that's just not comfortable for me Confused
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose clothing, reduce sugar intake and lie on the floor in the lowest place I can find. In the dark.
I find that my room is slightly cooler at night if the curtains have been shut all day, but not much.
There was an article in the paper that suggested putting a bed sheet in a bag and in the freezer for 10 mins before going to bed, then lie under that. I haven't tried that but did put a bucket of ice in front of a fan. Helped a little, but not much.

btw, is 'heatwave' what the summer is now known as?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

btw, is 'heatwave' what the summer is now known as?

"Summer" as a general term I believe has been officially withdrawn from UK usage Laughing

When you hit the highest June temperature for 40 years, I guess heatwave is what it is.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

There was an article in the paper that suggested putting a bed sheet in a bag and in the freezer for 10 mins before going to bed, then lie under that.

Someone's been watching Red Dwarf Smile I think that's know as the Dave Lister method.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air conditioned car, air conditioned office, freezer like server room.

At home, sit around in my pants with all the windows open and all the fans, with a kiddies paddling pool for the dog.

Leave the jacket off on the bike.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

air con

Got one one of those portable units 8000 btu, it's always a waste of money and taking up space throughout the year until we get to around June, then it's the best investment we've ever made.

You have to vent it out which can be tricky and it never as good as a wall mounted unit, but for price and portability it's not bad.

run it throughout the night in the bedroom, it's noisy, but earplugs work. It's also quite expensive to run, electricity bill always shoots up, but happily pay it for a comfortable nights sleep.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro tip

Keep a pack of baby wipes in the fridge for those moments when you need to freshen up.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much really works to stay cool at night. Once the sun moves around and starts shining into my bedroom I close the curtains. For the rest of it a cup of water now and then keeps me hydrated and seems to help regulate body temperature.

On the bikes I wear my A* Bionic suit which is a lightweight armour with mesh so much air gets to my skin, coupled with kevlar jeans is the best you'd get I'd imagine if you want a ride with protection.

If all else fails, give the Mrs a right good seeing to. Sure you'll be dripping with sweat and boiling, but once you're finished it'll feel much cooler compared to what you were just doing! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:24 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Pro tip

Keep a pack of baby wipes in the fridge for those moments when you need to freshen up.

[STAGE WHISPERS] "DOWN THERE..."

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pro tip

[STAGE WHISPERS] "DOWN THERE..."

Well we're not all as well ventilated as you Rog! Aye?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:45 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air Con unit in the bedroom. Night before last it was 16c in the bedroom Cool Missus complained it was too cold so had it at 18c last night.

Downstairs I have a spray bottle I fill with cold water, I spray my face and have doors and windows open to get a breeze through.

On the bike I wear Alpinestar short boots and mesh gloves. with a 'Power Trip' Mesh Jacket and Jeans I'm only warm if I'm stopped for any length of time.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

A few years back in the autumn sales I bought an 18 inch fan which has remote control and sits on a stand about 3ft high.
I can't remember the price but quite cheap and worth every single penny.
High enough to blow air across the bed and the remote mean I don't have to get up to turn the fan off at 3am... Cool

Also have a cheap tower fan for elsewhere in the flat if necessary but generally I can get enough of a breeze through the place with the windows wide open.

Each autumn/winter I do keep an eye out for a small home Air-Con unit at a sale price but not found one yet... well not cheap enough for me anyway Laughing

As for 'on the bike', Mesh jacket, Kevlar jeans and try not to stop anywhere... pesky traffic lights!

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's only when he remembers to wear his summer skirt.... I mean Kilt Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work nights. I basically sleep in an oven.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

That's only when he remembers to wear his summer skirt.... I mean Kilt Wink

I've seen his kilt. I've looked up it. Shocked

The answer to the OP's question......my friend......is.......

blowin in the wind......

Gruesome.......... Shocked

Last edited by Tracey Suntan-King on 17:54 - 21 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4