BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How are you staying cool?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bike: mesh jacket and kevlar jeans. Unfortunately the Duc gets pretty hot, so any time I stop the thighs feel like they're about to be set on fire...

Dresses for the day, shorts and sports bra for working around the house, and au naturale at night.

Keeping the curtains closed throughout the day means the house is lovely and cool when I get home from work – except upstairs, which is basically a conservatory. Been debating sleeping on the couch.

Work has AC, so the worst part of the day is the commute to/from home which requires 45 minutes of walking and a sweaty commuter train.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:35 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike

Same gear as winter, minus the inner lining in the jacket. Jacket unzipped half way down, in built visor down and visor up < 40 mph - kooshty.

Still bloody hot and sweating more than a paedo in a nursey but atleast if fecal matter does reach the fan then I won't leave a trail of skin along the road.

Home

Fan on, windows constantly open without the threat of wasps getting in (got some "bug proof" meshing covering my windows).

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

27 degrees outside here just now. Bike is staying in the garage till the temperature goes below boil in the bag.

Commuting in the ragtop, roof down, A/C on ... chilled from the waist down Smile

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought an aircon unit about 11 years ago when we had the really hot summer and wife pregnant. Nothing flash it came from Argos.

Some years it hardly gets used, it's noisy and the wife hates the noise, but it works. Last week I've had 3 of us in the bedroom, the wife sleeps downstairs.

You have to stick a tumble dryer vent out of the window, this then expels the heat.

If it broke I would buy again.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't need to as works building is strangly cool anyway

was only when I finished I got hot and then I was in the pub
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spending a lot of time in my air conditioned car.
Cool

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I stay cool?

Well, I ride a MZ 150 and my car is a 22 years old Pimpmobile, that's pretty cool.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aircon in the bedrooms. Aircon at work. Tower fan in the living room.
Misery on the bike when getting through London.

Yesterday morning they'd closed several key roads for Queeny, so I pulled over and removed jacket/gloves and continued on my way - that felt pretty darn good - the risk vs reward calculation was taken, and it was very definitely worth the risk. If I had a top box, I think I might've ditched the helmet too.

UncleBFester wrote:
Commuting in the ragtop, roof down, A/C on ... chilled from the waist down Smile

Having the top down during the [sunny/hot] day is insane (and a weird British thing to do - it's miserable being sat there with the sun beating down on you), rag tops are all about spring days and summer evenings. Roof firmly up and A/C on during the sunny/hot days.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was torture but much cooler today Thumbs Up Hopefully that's it for 25+ degree temperatures Praying

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
The heat doesn't bother me though I'm not a fat slob whose arse eats shorts so that might have something to do with it.

Plus the ability to pop out those front teeth for extra ventilation must come in handy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Having the top down during the [sunny/hot] day is insane (and a weird British thing to do - it's miserable being sat there with the sun beating down on you), rag tops are all about spring days and summer evenings. Roof firmly up and A/C on during the sunny/hot days.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person to think like that.
Although I do like seeing the lobsters returning home at the end of a long hot day Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
How do I stay cool?

Well, I ride a MZ 150 and my car is a 22 years old Pimpmobile, that's pretty cool.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/538637e02e94abee3ce36796129b78e0/tumblr_n599rfk8Oo1qz4sowo1_500.gif

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of AC on in the car, am I the only one who can't afford the power hit Laughing

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
All this talk of AC on in the car, am I the only one who can't afford the power hit Laughing

M.C's car, yesterday:
https://tx.english-ch.com/teacher/jun/Nano.jpg

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:18 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Although I do like seeing the lobsters returning home at the end of a long hot day Laughing

Mine is a drop top, but not a rag top. For me it's

Top down weather - dry and less than 20C.. in fact the lower the better, it's absolutely hilarious to watch peoples reaction when I drive around in sub-zero temps with the top down.

Top up weather - rain/snow & above 25C

Border line weather Drizzle & between 20~25C is dependent on humidity & sun intensity.

M.C wrote:

My car doesn't even notice the A/C! Seriously, it's easier to tell when my 'hot' tyre pressures are 0.5psi down than if I've been using A/C!

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:43 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

Mine is a drop top, but not a rag top. For me it's

Top down weather - dry and less than 20C.. in fact the lower the better, it's absolutely hilarious to watch peoples reaction when I drive around in sub-zero temps with the top down.

Top up weather - rain/snow & above 25C

Border line weather Drizzle & between 20~25C is dependent on humidity & sun intensity.

Besides the fact mine is currently sorned (sob!) I always have my top off when the suns out...

Sunblock. A hat. And if you drive fast enough a really lovely breeze.. Laughing

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:52 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
Besides the fact mine is currently sorned (sob!) I always have my top off when the suns out...

Once over about 25C I find in mine going faster simply makes you feel hotter.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
I always have my top off when the suns out...

Thinking

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air con Very Happy I bought an all in one unit from Argos for £100 about 7 years ago, most of the year it just gathers dust but it's a life saver for a good nights sleep. I usually run it for a bit before sleeping to get the room cold (removing the humidity is the best part) and turn it off before drifting off, then if I wake up I run it for a bit and repeat. It's extremely noisy and power hungry but worth it. Surprised it has lasted so long, but if it died I'd immediately buy another one Thumbs Up Also have A/C in the car of course. I know a few people who refuse to use it for some reason, "what's the point, just open the window" Confused

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, you bunch of pussies! Wink

It's been in the mid to high 30's here for the past few weeks and will remain that way for the next three months at least, the temperature's set to rise to 40+ at the weekend.

Bike rides, as already mentioned, mesh jacket, kevlar jeans!

You want to stay cool in bed, here's how without using A/C!

Ditch your quilt, if you must have something a single sheet will do.
Needless to say, naked is best!
Try and create a flow of air through the bedroom by opening windows to create a draught.
Buy a floor standing fan, with a remote, set it to low speed if it's noisy, if it's quiet set it to full speed, set it to "swing".
Set the fan to run for 2 hours, once you're asleep the heat won't wake you up.
Before you retire have a shower, have a cold shower, as much as you can bare without wincing.
Forget all that crap about hanging wet towels or bottles of ice in front of the fan, it's the humidity that makes you feel uncomfortable more so than the temperature.

Not much use in the UK, but if you're looking at spending a month or two in high temperatures, A/C is not your friend, letting your body acclimatise to the ambient temperature is much better, apart from anything else you'll save a fortune!

We've got A/c in the house here, never use it, just use the method described above and it's way hotter here than it is in the UK!

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
What about at night when trying to sleep?

Nothing seems to work for me Neutral All my windows have been open 24/7 since the weekend, bedroom door open and it's still baking. Gonna be 26 degrees tonight Shocked

Shut windows and curtains instead.. To stop he sun shining into the room....

Why do you think many oversea's houses have shutters on the outside.... Shut them to keep sun out and let the air in....

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:

The hat blows off when you drive fast and there's no breeze when you're stuck in traffic... Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Shut windows and curtains instead.. To stop he sun shining into the room....

Why do you think many oversea's houses have shutters on the outside.... Shut them to keep sun out and let the air in....

IME, it's better to have airflow through the room at all times of the day and night.
If the sun's shining directly on shutters they heat up then release the heat once the sun goes down.
Shutters, blackout blinds and closed windows only work if used in conjunction with A/C!

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bike, I haven't found it too bad lately in my usual summer-attire of 1-piece and baselayers, albeit while avoiding heavy traffic areas and keeping on the move though.

Off the bike, I finally broke and had to buy a fan a few days ago, which I've been sat and sleeping in front of for the majority of the week when at home Laughing.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
It's been in the mid to high 30's here for the past few weeks and will remain that way for the next three months at least, the temperature's set to rise to 40+ at the weekend.

Abroad heat is for the ladies, UK heat is for the manly men types.

I've never understood that one either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4