BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Polite?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Polite? Reply with quote

To the person who nodded to me on the London Road in Bath this morning, the reason I shook my head sadly at you was because you were wearing a wanker-vest (tm).

Do it again and you'll get the international sign of the nescafe drinker waved in your direction.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit harsh Nobby. Non?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Bit harsh Nobby. Non?

Not in the slightest. If they are going to go round thinking they look like the police, they'll get the treatment from me they deserve.

Besides, they look like wankers

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:10 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fucking piece of shit troll. Evil or Very Mad

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done sir Thumbs Up

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the jacket, or the word that upsets you Nobby? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, c'mon he just wanted to be nice. <3.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love how my advert panel at the bottom of the screen is now filled with Polite wanker-vests

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 03:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the 'POLITE' vests shouldn't be allowed as they are misleading but I don't have problem with hi-vis. I'd rather be an living wanker than a dead dude.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think polite vests should be banned. They are a very useful advance indication of the likely riding style of person wearing them.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

turningCircle wrote:
I agree that the 'POLITE' vests shouldn't be allowed as they are misleading but I don't have problem with hi-vis. I'd rather be an living wanker than a dead dude.

show me statistics that hi-viz has actually ever ever ever prevented someone being deaded

Hi-Viz can do one. It makes you look like a bin man..*

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JYXZtlZaHYg/TfCjHxrGSiI/AAAAAAAACDc/Xd_MvW5p6SE/s1600/bin%2Bmen%2Bcllr%2Bdobson%2Bpic%2Bjune%2B2011.JPG

*bin men are lovely people.

Exile71
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair if a car driver cant see a motorbike with a light on and a person sitting on it, they arent suddenly going to see you if your wearing yellow.

I did also read in MCN a couple of years ago that statistically more people wearing vests have accidents than those not. You can read in between the lines and say that more people wear them possibly so this is the reason more are involved in accidents, or you could look at it with the view that those wearing them get a false sense that they will be seen so dont actually concentrate as hard as they should be.

However i also hate those vests, see loads of them in London!

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote"However i also hate those vests, see loads of them in London!"

How can you hate a vest !???

It's ridicules,..... like loathing a match stick..😂😂😂😂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Bit harsh Nobby. Non?

Guess that's why he's not called "Nobby the Nice"

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
turningCircle wrote:

show me statistics that hi-viz has actually ever ever ever prevented someone being deaded
I've always said, if you're relying on high-viz and/or expecting to be seen then you're already losing the safety game.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exile71 wrote:
To be fair if a car driver cant see a motorbike with a light on and a person sitting on it, they arent suddenly going to see you if your wearing yellow.

Sure, making yourself more visible doesn't make you any more visible. Stands to reason.

Exile71 wrote:
I did also read in MCN

Mostly Crap News.

Exile71 wrote:
statistically more people wearing vests have accidents than those not.

Which, even if true (MCN), says nothing since as you note, we don't know what proportion wear and don't wear hi-vis.

Even the comprehensive MAIDS study (https://www.maids-study.eu/pdf/MAIDS2.pdf) couldn't draw any conclusions, although it concluded that the majority of riders involved in accidents weren't wearing conspicuous clothing.

That may have changed since then. Got MCN link, or statistics?

Exile71 wrote:
you could look at it with the view that those wearing them get a false sense that they will be seen so dont actually concentrate as hard as they should be.

You could, if you were absolutely determined to invent reasons to justify wearing Stealth Ranger Black.

I have never, not once, made a riding decision based on the colour of clothes that I was wearing. It's a ludicrous suggestion.

This is in contrast to what helmet I'm wearing. I do accept that open face makes you more aware of your vulnerability, and that full face might have a risk compensation cost.

However, if you ever catch me wearing a POLITE vest, I fully endorse you running me into a ditch. It'll be the least I deserve.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was chatting to a guy in a bike shop who was describing a customer of his who had hi-viz all over himself and his bike. Claimed this guy was his best customer as he was always crashing and coming in to have his bike fixed. Apparently it's not how you look it's how you ride.

Anecdotes are, of course, widely recognised as proof by statisticians. I'd argue the same rider in the same conditions riding in the same way has less change of being potatoed in hi-viz than in matt black and camo gear.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:53 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

understand wearing high-vis,

don't understand why its made to look like police - if I went out and stuck a fucking massive polite sticker and fake sirens on my white Astra I think I would get pulled!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
I was chatting to a guy in a bike shop who was describing a customer of his who had hi-viz all over himself and his bike. Claimed this guy was his best customer as he was always crashing and coming in to have his bike fixed. Apparently it's not how you look it's how you ride.

Anecdotes are, of course, widely recognised as proof by statisticians. I'd argue the same rider in the same conditions riding in the same way has less change of being potatoed in hi-viz than in matt black and camo gear.

you can guarantee the high viz guys story every time was "driver = smidsy" when it's more likely they did see him and he just rode straight into them

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:17 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Apparently it's not how you look it's how you ride.

true.

Exile71
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..... Firstly im not in court so wont go to the bother of providing actual evidence. I read it, doesnt matter to me if you didnt.

However, How much of a rider can you actually see in your wing mirror? The point in saying that a vest is going to make you noticed more than the bikes headlight which will most likely be at eye level for drivers mirrors when most of your body would be hidden by the bike is ridiculous. A hi-vis vest may have stopped a couple of accidents, but i doubt many. More lives would probably be saved if elderly people on medication didnt decide to drive when they shouldnt.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exile71 wrote:

A dark bike seen from a front quarter (rather than straight ahead) can be pretty invisible.

I have no problem with Hi-Vis wearers but 'Polite' doesn't make anyone more visible, it just makes sure people know you're a twat.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exile71 wrote:
However, How much of a rider can you actually see in your wing mirror? The point in saying that a vest is going to make you noticed more than the bikes headlight which will most likely be at eye level for drivers mirrors when most of your body would be hidden by the bike is ridiculous. A hi-vis vest may have stopped a couple of accidents, but i doubt many.

Presuming you only use your wing mirrors to spot motorcyclists...

I tend to use the car's windows as well

And if a hi-vis stops even 1 accident, is that not worth it?

madcow87
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:36 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only learning for now, but I know i'll wear hi-viz on the mile and half ride to work, especially in winter and getting to work at 5:45 in the morning.

But these things annoy me a little. Like ColinK said if you did it to an Astra van or whatever you'd probably get pulled, people get pulled for impersonating police officers and thrown in jail, then these things come along and it appears to me that a lot of the guys wearing them think themselves a level above everyone else when it comes to safety and being a good rider (don't get me wrong this is only going of people I've met).

At the same time, maybe the design made to look a little like a police vest because drivers typically start behaving when the police are around.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Exile71 wrote:
statistically more people wearing vests have accidents than those not.

Which, even if true (MCN), says nothing since as you note, we don't know what proportion wear and don't wear hi-vis.

Even the comprehensive MAIDS study (https://www.maids-study.eu/pdf/MAIDS2.pdf) couldn't draw any conclusions, although it concluded that the majority of riders involved in accidents weren't wearing conspicuous clothing.

I'd also query when most of the riding done by your habitual hi-vizzer is. Commuting maybe, on busy roads?
I tend not to wear hi-viz in glorious sunshine, but if it's grey and raining or dark, then I will. I still assume that drivers are not paying much attention and that they may not have seen me, but in the dark with heavy spray on a motorway I'm pretty sure a dimly lit and dirty number plate and small red tail light aren't exactly shouting my presence to following vehicles.

I would not wear a polite vest. I immediately attach my intense dislike of the hatefully smug and hypocritical plod lecturing to the people wearing them. Consequently my first and immediate thought is "wanker".
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5