Polite?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
To the person who nodded to me on the London Road in Bath this morning, the reason I shook my head sadly at you was because you were wearing a wanker-vest (tm)

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/polite-hi-viz-vest-wearers-are-inter-breeding-thanks-to-new-app/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:14 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DISCLAIMER
Motorcycling is dangerous. By continuing to use this website you accept this acknowledge that the actions you take when you are riding your motorcycle are your own."

Laughing

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a hi viz with BOMB DISPOSAL on the back of it. Should stand out a bit more. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Oddly HGVs are the worst for deliberately pulling out

I drive a 7.5t, and most of the time i'm pulling out as fast and as safely as i can. But, if i'm fully loaded and/or driving an automatic, and/or there's only a short bit of road before i can actually see what's coming, i've no choice other than to just pull out and hope i don't incur the wrath of other road users too much.

Especially if the truck is an old automatic Iveco, where you accelerate, wait 2 minutes for the shit gearbox to register and the shit clutch to catch up with it, before you even start to move.

Bikes are usually the most affected as they're usually quicker than cars obviously. Which is why i'm very tolerant if a truck pulls out in front of me when i'm on the bike, as i know they're not just being a dick.

However, I always hold my helmet up and point to it as they slide into the side of the truck, just to show that i'm 'one of them'. I think it helps.

I don't really do this

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:55 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

this old thing...

In terms of visibility the second main advantage cars have over motorcyclists, after size which we can't change, is being pretty much a single block of colour.

If you understand how you actually see moving objects and how the eyes saccade between fixation points and the brain processes the image to produce something smooth and pleasing, then you will realise that breaking up your profile as a motorcyclist with various different colours actually only makes you less visible.

A motorcyclist dressed all in black with a black helmet on a black bike is far more visible to a person not deliberately looking for a motorcycle than someone in a mix of clothing colours (hi-vis or not) on another coloured bike with a another different coloured helmet. If you look at any picture of a road and look at the background, whether urban or country the back ground is usually a mixture of colours and textures and it is far easier for the eye to see a single block of colour moving against these.

One thing I have seen a lot when people claim that hi-vis vest make you more visible are photos like the one earlier in this thread, the big problem with this is there is no movement and you are already looking at the image and looking for a motorcycle.

There's no argument that reflective strips make you more visible at night btw, they just simply do. I like the 3M black reflective strips... that I had on my black bike and on the back and sides of my black helmet Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:27 - 02 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
[The high vis that I don't like isn't visible but the high vis that I do like simply is, there's no argument]

Gotchya, thanks for clearing that up.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:33 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I do not see a problem with them. Sure the rider looks like a knob wearing his POLITE vest but if you have to change your riding style because you have mistook the knob for a policeman it says more about the way you were riding than what he looks like.

I wear a high viz out and about but mine says "instructor" on the back in big letters and has the company logo and phone number on. Added to the fact that for my job its a legal requirement all tied in with the company insurance for the instructor and student to wear them. And it brings business in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
M.C wrote:
Oddly HGVs are the worst for deliberately pulling out

I drive a 7.5t, and most of the time i'm pulling out as fast and as safely as i can. But, if i'm fully loaded and/or driving an automatic, and/or there's only a short bit of road before i can actually see what's coming, i've no choice other than to just pull out and hope i don't incur the wrath of other road users too much.

Especially if the truck is an old automatic Iveco, where you accelerate, wait 2 minutes for the shit gearbox to register and the shit clutch to catch up with it, before you even start to move.

Bikes are usually the most affected as they're usually quicker than cars obviously. Which is why i'm very tolerant if a truck pulls out in front of me when i'm on the bike, as i know they're not just being a dick.

However, I always hold my helmet up and point to it as they slide into the side of the truck, just to show that i'm 'one of them'. I think it helps.

I don't really do this

I meant when they're stopped. I get they're going to be slow pulling away (that doesn't really bother me), but when they have good visibility, and I'm the only vehicle coming they're being a c**t IMO.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 03 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
To the person who nodded to me on the London Road in Bath this morning, the reason I shook my head sadly at you was because you were wearing a wanker-vest (tm)

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/polite-hi-viz-vest-wearers-are-inter-breeding-thanks-to-new-app/

I like it.

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Get-off-your-phone.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/ODRStJw.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5