Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Polite?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't partake myself but I think those polite hi-viz things are fine. It sorts out those that can't read from those of us that can.

Plus all the butthurt over it is quite amusing.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

For riding outside town I think bright red or bright blue are generally good colours as little that is natural is that colour

https://www.proflowers.com/blog/blue-flowers

https://www.proflowers.com/blog/red-flowers

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Red may not be an ideal colour to wear if riding through Flanders.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C. wrote:
I find it interesting someone who believes in hi viz and smidsy weaves doesn't believe in noisy exhausts or using the horn, which are in my experience a lot more effective in drawing someones attention (isn't that what the hi viz and weaving around's meant to do?).

Who doesn't believe noisy exhausts and using the horn is beneficial?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

My neighbours when I leave home at 6am? Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Plus all the butthurt over it is quite amusing.

yes, he/she looked quite butthurt when I did the sad shake of shame at him/she...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
That picture shows why yellow is a bit of a rubbish colour once you are outside the city. It can be easier to see black against lush undergrowth or hedges than yellow.

Although it's rare black is a more noticeable colour and it doesn't stand out as well against certain other forestry backgrounds.
But that example does show that even in it's worse environment, it still relatively noticeable.
I'd also heard Hi-vis pink is the most visible colour and certain bright reds are apparently the equal of Hi-Vis yellow.
It's a shame so few of the bash hat manufacturers actually sell red ones...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
M.C. wrote:
I find it interesting someone who believes in hi viz and smidsy weaves doesn't believe in noisy exhausts or using the horn, which are in my experience a lot more effective in drawing someones attention (isn't that what the hi viz and weaving around's meant to do?).

Ahoy.

What M.C meant to accuse me of believing is that shouty exhausts are great for letting people behind you know that you've passed them, or for warning peds in stop-start that you're setting off. Riding towards a junction with a vehicle that might emerge, why are you on the throttle?

Use of the horn is beneficial, but unBritish. Tut Tut

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

So as far as I'm concerned, the hi-viz brigade can dry bum themselves with a cactus.

Shocked
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny but understandable how these polite vests cause rage.
The solution is of course to have Triumph written on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
shouty exhausts are great for letting people behind you know that you've passed them, or for warning peds in stop-start that you're setting off. Riding towards a junction with a vehicle that might emerge, why are you on the throttle?

I've a quiet bike that's easy to filter with as it goes through small gaps, and a loud but quite wide bike where a surprising number of cars actually make space for me.
I'm solidly in the Loud pipes camp on that, for it's filtering benefits alone... Cool

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
M.C. wrote:

We've had this debate a few times on the forum, it normally goes yada yada sound travels backwards etc., that'll be why I can hear bikes coming up from behind when I'm in the car Confused

I find it strange how a visual aid would be more beneficial than an auditory one. Your hi viz only works (if at all Wink) if they're looking in the first place. Sounds tend to grab peoples attention a lot better, which's why I don't have a problem tooting a creeping car at a junction.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

We've had this debate a few times on the forum, it normally goes yada yada sound travels backwards etc., that'll be why I can hear bikes coming up from behind when I'm in the car Confused

I find it strange how a visual aid would be more beneficial than an auditory one. Your hi viz only works (if at all Wink) if they're looking in the first place. Sounds tend to grab peoples attention a lot better, which's why I don't have a problem tooting a creeping car at a junction.

Bright colours undoubtedly do work, and so do loud pipes, but generally for different reasons.
As you say, colour is about being seen when someone's looking (even a very brief glance) and noise is about making people look in the first place.
Noise is more relevant when filtering and you don't want people changing lanes or u-turning ahead of your.
Whilst colour is more relevant when you don't want people pulling out/across in front of you.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:12 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get back to the subject i.e. whether pathetic people who feel the need to imitate the police (so poorly that even the police decided to have a laugh about it and endorse the company) are wankers deserving our contempt or whether they are wankers deserving our pity?

Thanks

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Can we get back to the subject i.e. whether pathetic people who feel the need to imitate the police (so poorly that even the police decided to have a laugh about it and endorse the company) are wankers deserving our contempt or whether they are wankers deserving our pity?

Thanks

It doesn't need any more debate.
It's a 'slam dunk' Fuck yes they deserve contempt!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Thanks

Neither. They don't even deserve consideration, and I'm frankly disappointed in you bringing it up in the first place Nobby Sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:35 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/dj_slutmonkey/19478085_1629054797105409_306380334_n_zpsvubaa5up.jpg

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking If all bikers wore one, would real police get smidsy'd? Or would there never be another smidsy......

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Thinking If all bikers wore one, would real police get smidsy'd? Or would there never be another smidsy......

Are you referring to the 'polite' (aka tosser) Vests or to wearing bright colours?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a Whatsapp from my (non-biker) son, who is currently on the Belfast-Stranraer ferry. He says it's rammed with bikers, but one guy in particular is catching a load of really filthy looks from most of the others - it's this character who's sat in the restaurant; so much so that my son sent me the picture to ask what was going on!? Very Happy :

https://i.imgur.com/rmaBTps.jpg?1

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Just received a Whatsapp from my (non-biker) son, who is currently on the Belfast-Stranraer ferry. He says it's rammed with bikers, but one guy in particular is catching a load of really filthy looks from most of the others - it's this character who's sat in the restaurant; so much so that my son sent me the picture to ask what was going on!? Very Happy :

Get your son to tap him on the shoulder and say 'Excuse me officer, do you have the time?'. Loudly. Should raise some sniggers.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:26 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Get your son to tap him on the shoulder and say 'Excuse me officer, do you have the time?'. Loudly. Should raise some sniggers.

Very Happy

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:19 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed a two wheeled motorist today who had a pillion wearing a Polite vest. The fact that I describe them as a two wheeled motorist should go a long way to explaining what these people are about. To give it a bit more context, the two wheeled motorist was pottering along with the 4 wheel motorists on one of my favourite highland roads. Absolutely no reason for a motorcycle to be doing 28.3mph on these roads in good conditions. In fact, it should be a criminal offence punishable by...............something nasty. At least the car drivers have excuses for not overtaking - not enough power, not enough space, don't know how gears work etc..
I pottered past the whole sorry bunch and settled down to riding safely at or around the speed limit.

Yes, without a doubt they are wankers and they are worthy of contempt.

Sapolsky
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:09 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who drives the Devil's Bridge -> Sedbergh route on a regular basic (yes in a car) I honestly wish to god that more people would wear hi-vis (or anything really) other than head to toe black on a black bike. The sections with trees where you are going in and out of bright sunlight can make those types really hard to see on winding roads...

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapolsky wrote:
As someone who drives the Devil's Bridge -> Sedbergh route on a regular basic (yes in a car) I honestly wish to god that more people would wear hi-vis (or anything really) other than head to toe black on a black bike. The sections with trees where you are going in and out of bright sunlight can make those types really hard to see on winding roads...

Hard to see does not equal impossible. Just look better. seeing a shiny black bike is no different to seeing a shiny black car. No excuses for not seeing them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5