Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurers upping commuting/business use for Londonshire?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Insurers upping commuting/business use for Londonshire? Reply with quote

Seems there's been a bit of cottoning on happening over the last few months.

Renewal is up on the KTM (have I really had that a year?!) and last year was a pretty eyewatering £330 all in which I thought was bad enough, since the Sprint was circa half that at the time. Just had a call from current provider to say that the scheme my policy is currently on cannot be renewed and whilst they didn't say as much out straight, there was quite a big hint to remove class 1 business use cover as it 'would have an effect'.

Anyway thought I'd run some quotes and see what gives. Results are quite marked at current postcode, ie 23 ish miles east of City of London:
Inc Commuting / Class 1 business use - £550
Exc Commuting / Class 1 business use - £188
A jump if my quick maths is right of around 3x the policy premium just for 1000 miles worth of class 1 cover to be added Laughing

Then attempted a similar quote exercise on a postcode out in the sticks of Pembrokeshire (where I stayed recently on a little holiday with Mrs Arry - very nice it was too) and we get:

Inc Commuting / Class 1 business use - £227
Exc Commuting / Class 1 business use - £172

Rather marked difference, don't you think.

Highlight of all this is I've just insured the Enfield with Hastings which I knew would go badly but hey, what the hell right. Checked paperwork and they have sent a load of guff about their multi-bike offering. In order to add the KTM to the Enfield policy they'd have to alter the standard excess to £350 for both bikes (currently £250 on the Enfield), take commuting cover off entirely ie strip it from the Enfield cover, and then they'd 'only' charge me an extra £575 from now until next April for the privilege Laughing And that little golden nugget came at the cost of a 35 minute phone call involving 3 different people. Excellent service as usual, Hastings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:00 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild speculation (hello, BCF), but have they spotted that daylight robbery from commuter bays is now more prevalent than things that go bump-and-grind in the night? Thinking

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's London you can afford it Laughing

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:00 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurers upping commuting/business use for Londonshire? Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Inc Commuting / Class 1 business use - £550
Exc Commuting / Class 1 business use - £188

Why don't you just remove Commuting, as soon as you're on the bike you're working going to another place of business. Depending on what class 1 business use is, I'm taking it you use it for work purposes.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:41 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class 1 is going to more than one place of work, ie commuting to see clients - which is what I 'do'. I say 'do' because I can't recall a single instance in the last 12 months.

It's a nice in theory thing it seems. Not going to pay an extra 300+ notes for it that's for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:44 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and you can't remove commuting if you've got class 1; the two come hand in hand.

Which was pretty funny when they asked me yesterday the postcode I most regularly commute to, to which I answered I don't commute. Computer has literally nothing but a no for my situation.

Anyway, will just remove it as it ain't worth the bother. I wonder whether anyone else in the home counties will experience same issue.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3,000 miles Class 1 and it adds about £70 to my annual policy (for a total of £280/year). Which is strange, since I live in the fringes of London by my main office and most of the sites I visit are smack bang in the centre of London. I'd expect it to be higher but not complaining.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
I have 3,000 miles Class 1 and it adds about £70 to my annual policy (for a total of £280/year). Which is strange, since I live in the fringes of London by my main office and most of the sites I visit are smack bang in the centre of London. I'd expect it to be higher but not complaining.

When did you last renew?

I have a feeling it's a combination of my area and my bike - if it didn't have Supermoto in the title I think things would be a bit easier.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:29 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, not that I'd ever, ever suggest sticking it to the insurance cartel, but class of use is hugely unlikely to ever be an issue in practice.

On the one occasion every eleventy years that you might be tugged or have a crash and be asked the purpose of your journey, "for the lulz" would seem to come under SDP and be pretty hard to refute.

It's not like we're mini-cabbing or hauling goods.

I declare commuting on all my vehicles since it only adds a few £££, but if I were getting rinsed big style for it, I'd weight up the risk-vs-reward pragmatically.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurers upping commuting/business use for Londonshire? Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Just had a call from current provider to say that the scheme my policy is currently on cannot be renewed

Does this mean that too many people with the same policy crashed? I've just has similar from Devitt for my NC. Can't renew with same co, here's another that'll charge you 60 quid more.

I look at Bennetts and again they offer me £120 - last year they wanted £468 or something ridiculous.

<insert more ranting as you see fit, I cba.>

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is with Devitt so would assume they've lost their scheme as the underwriter has withdrawn because of poor performance.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I have a feeling it's a combination of my area and my bike - if it didn't have Supermoto in the title I think things would be a bit easier.

This right here will be causing you problems, when I had my KTM 950SM I was excluded from a range of multibike policies because "its an off-road bike innt"

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Vracktal wrote:

When did you last renew?

Last renewal was nine months ago, however I did amend the policy recently to add my new kraut tractor and remove my old KLE - £40 extra on the policy (making the total £280) and £17 admin bollocks.

I do ride supremely boring bikes though so this is probably a factor.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:04 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurers upping commuting/business use for Londonshire? Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Does this mean that too many people with the same policy crashed?

I'd expect (on no basis at all) that it's more to do with a bike being nicked in London ever 50 milliseconds (or whatever it's up to now).

Last edited by Rogerborg on 08:02 - 23 Jun 2017; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:

This right here will be causing you problems, when I had my KTM 950SM I was excluded from a range of multibike policies because "its an off-road bike innt"

I don't doubt it really. It's annoying but in practice I don't think I rode the bike for work at all last year so it'll be SDP only from here. The Enfield has class 1 on it so if I have a spare 14 hours or so either side I can take that I guess.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a side, I had a little difficulty getting fully comp quotes on my Street Triple this year (as of last week).
thebikeinsurer resulted in far fewer quotes and increased prices.

6 years NCD and Bennetts (who I was with), would not quote me a renewal. The underwriter last year was Zenith I believe. This year, don't know.

I ended up paying 20% extra premium with a 300% increase in Compulsory Excess to go with Carol Nash + Aviva.

My thanks to London bike thieves, the Feds and Triumphs la sai fair approach to security on the mk1.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:03 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing ever changes until it costs more to do it right than to do it wrong.

Be the hero we need, fire in a civil suit against MetPlod for the extra costs. Whistle

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Class 1 is going to more than one place of work, ie commuting to see clients - which is what I 'do'. I say 'do' because I can't recall a single instance in the last 12 months.
Go see some potential clients and claim mileage. There's some nice pubs near my head office in Gt. Hampden Wink

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice that mine was loaded over-much but then I have a different class of bike. A KTM parked on the street in London has to be a big target for thieves.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I didn't notice that mine was loaded over-much but then I have a different class of bike. A KTM parked on the street in London has to be a big target for thieves.

Indeed. So much so that I'd never leave it on the street in London. In fact the only time it's been inside the m25 in the last year was to take it for its MOT in Rainham.

Insured it without business use in the end. 180 quid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1