Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain cleaning and welding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:57 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Chain cleaning and welding Reply with quote

A bit of a two for the price of one post but first question!

Can I use Jizer to clean my chain? We have a wash tank at work and I was wondering if it would be okay or whether it would send the O rings to hell??

Secondly

Can anyone on here make a decent job of welding an engine casing? Its aluminium alloy and has a hole in it from crashing and also a crack from centre to bottom of the case, It doesn't have to look pretty at all just be functional and oil-tight! obviously some beer ponds will be bestowed upon whoever can weld better than I can, The last time I 'had a go' with alu it was disastrous Laughing

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contamination makes Alu used to contain oil *very* hard to weld. Most (competent) places would charge you enough to warrant buying a new one unless it was *really* expensive, or exceptionally hard to get hold off.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:24 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of LH engine casings on ebay but no RH ones Laughing The only place ive seen a new RH one for sale was on a Japanese site and it was $200 plus shipping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably worth getting welded then.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:34 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it myself if I was better that the stick it together level of welding I'm currently at, This needs a little more finesse than I'm used to!

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need some of this after you've Jizer'd it...
https://i.imgur.com/GfG78ii.jpg

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:02 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm pretty pleased! After reading a guide on the internet and a bit of practice on some aluminium tread plate I decided to have a crack at it myself...

So this was the mess before cleaned up ready for welding
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_6502.jpg

And this was after I have finished, I used some of the tread plate to cover the big hole and pinched the crack together and seam welded that
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_6506.jpg

Its not to 4 thou hanging upside down warped standard but after filling the case with water all looks good! I think not bad for a first attempt at welding alu! Also I can see why no one offered, It was a pain in the ass!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:04 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did better than a lot, it's stuck on there.

Don't be surprised if that doesn't continue though. Contamination can be a sod, no matter your experience with TIG, or lack of.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 05:26 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought its not a massive structural part of the bike so hopefully itll be ok!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:18 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is more the sudden dramatic loss of oil if it decides to part company. 10/10 for trying, and I hope it holds, I'm just saying don't be too disappointed if it doesn't... and have breakdown cover.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have offered to mig it but seems you have done a good enough job.

Best way to clean chain is regular application of a good few squirts of used engine oil. That saves any effort of actual cleaning.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a pretty decent job.

I'd still have my eye out for a cover from a breakers though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1